mge_1

thinking on purchasing a 1911...

O

The spartan and rock island are both made in the Philippines. The Trojan and up are all made fully in house by STI. Not that the spartan is bad but save some money and get the Rock Island.
I believe the spartan is an sti frame assembled in Philippines. Not 100% sure if the other parts are sti originals or notETA. I may have gotten that backwards. It may be slides and frames by armscor and internals and assembly in us. One of the 2

O

I believe the spartan is an sti frame assembled in Philippines. Not 100% sure if the other parts are sti originals or not ETA. I may have gotten that backwards. It may be slides and frames by armscor and internals and assembly in us. One of the 2

Its the 2nd one, the frames and slides are made in the Philippines by Armscor then sent to the US and assembled by STI.

I have a rock island 1911 and absolutely love it.  I abuse the gun, shoot it all the time and never any issues.  The nice thing is GI parts are interchangeable.  I actually made my RI an exact copy of one of my original GI's just by swapping parts.  That way I dont ruin the original, i have its clone to bring out all the time. 

Nice and good to know.  Thx

I didn't know capitalized labels affected performance... How ignorant I am

I guess you drive around with a Honda civic with a Honda decal on the visor to remind us its a Honda? Just in case we forget.

Nothing to do with performance, I just don't need to be reminded everytime I see the the thing that's its a Honda

I guess you drive around with a Honda civic with a Honda decal on the visor to remind us its a Honda? Just in case we forget.

Nothing to do with performance, I just don't need to be reminded everytime I see the the thing that's its a Honda

You just don't get it... The point is that the branding or not has nothing to do with performance. But I guess it does for you...

You just don't get it... The point is that the branding or not has nothing to do with performance. But I guess it does for you...

With the amount of quality 1911s on the market, branding and aesthetics can very well affect someones decision on buying a particular pistol.  I for example think the DE 1911 is god awful ugly, you're gonna tell me I can't find another 1911, with similar reliability, features, price point, and one I dont think is ugly?   (I can)

With the amount of quality 1911s on the market, branding and aesthetics can very well affect someones decision on buying a particular pistol.  I for example think the DE 1911 is god awful ugly, you're gonna tell me I can't find another 1911, with similar reliability, features, price point, and one I dont think is ugly?   (I can)

I can't speak too much about the quality of DE 1911's but from the sample I saw in a gun store in AZ, they seem to be well made. I don't know how reliable and problem-free they run after a few thousand rounds.

As for STI's, it has been said a number of times already in this forum and in others that people who use them for competition can pretty much run them out of the box with little or no issues. A Spartan is good to go under $700. For my gun, I added a few things that make it shoot according to my preference. As for the markings and brand stamped on the slide, I don't really mind. I don't see them when the gun is pointed down range and I'm shooting.

The bottom line here is that there are plenty of 1911 choices out there. I'm sure there's one to suit a person's specific taste (you can even get one made to order in pink lol). If an STI 1911 is not be your cup of tea, then check out Colt, SA, DW, LB, EB, Wilson, Remi, etc.  

leaning towards the RIA 1911 GI 45acp

best price i got so far was $449   good price???

out the door? My RIA Tac was around $ 500 out the door from Sarco's a few years ago.

If you're willing to travel a bit, Sayreville Sportsman still has a used Citadel 45 (same maker as RIA) at 349.00 + tax/nics.

out the door? My RIA Tac was around $ 500 out the door from Sarco's a few years ago.

If you're willing to travel a bit, Sayreville Sportsman still has a used Citadel 45 (same maker as RIA) at 349.00 + tax/nics.

Not out the door sorry.  But yes I'll do a used 1911.  Let me contact them now.  Thanks for the heads up.

Went to Ready Aim Fire today and their AC was broken...  Oh my, it was hot in there lol...  But got 100 rounds through the new RIA 1911 today.  No issues and felt great.  So far so good with the budget purchase!  No video today as I went solo.  Pic of the first 50 rounds.  Just ordered another magazine as having one sucked lol.

20130721_104445_resized_zps39bf1b76.jpg

20130721_103659_resized_zps20dc734d.jpg