mge_1

thinking on purchasing a 1911...

Great starter 1911. Well made. Functions well. For not too much more money, check out the STI Spartan. It has some modern features that make the gun more pleasant to shoot (i.e. full size sights), and it is a very well made gun with a good company that stands behind their products.

I have one, it was great for me, but I hated the sights and the short  grip safety.  Got hammer bite from it all the time. It's a 1911 pattern, NOT an A1 pattern, although it has some of the improvements (cutaways on ejection port & trigger housing). So I changed the sights out myself for some 3-dots and changed the hammer and added a beavertail, both drop ins (minor filing on the BT). Much more comfy and useable. You should look at the Spartan, though, has all that stuff as is, frame made by Arsmcor (Phillippines) as is the Rock Island.

I have one, it was great for me, but I hated the sights and the short  grip safety.  Got hammer bite from it all the time. It's a 1911 pattern, NOT an A1 pattern, although it has some of the improvements (cutaways on ejection port & trigger housing). So I changed the sights out myself for some 3-dots and changed the hammer and added a beavertail, both drop ins (minor filing on the BT). Much more comfy and useable. You should look at the Spartan, though, has all that stuff as is, frame made by Arsmcor (Phillippines) as is the Rock Island.

Cool thanks for the input.

Great starter 1911. Well made. Functions well. For not too much more money, check out the STI Spartan. It has some modern features that make the gun more pleasant to shoot (i.e. full size sights), and it is a very well made gun with a good company that stands behind their products.

Will look into the STI Spartan.  Thx  I'm looking for a starter/ more budget 1911.  How much do the Spartan run in today's market?

My vote is for a Spartan like mine ;)

huvyjyve.jpg

One main thing that I ABSOLUTELY HATE on 1911 is that big capitalized label of whatever brand or name. I think it's a dumb move for any manufacturer. My own personal opinion.

Here is the one for sale

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/classifieds/item/101-wts-like-new-1911-remington-r1-enhansed/

One main thing that I ABSOLUTELY HATE on 1911 is that big capitalized label of whatever brand or name. I think it's a dumb move for any manufacturer. My own personal opinion.

Here is the one for sale

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/classifieds/item/101-wts-like-new-1911-remington-r1-enhansed/

I didn't know capitalized labels affected performance... How ignorant I am

I didn't know capitalized labels affected performance... How ignorant I am

Some people just don't like a 4"x1" advertisement on the side of their firearm. I tend to agree. I think the desert eagle is worst. I tend to think Springfield has the right idea.

Here is the one for sale

Oh my!!!  Thanks for the pic and thats an awesome looking 1911.

It is a great entry level gun, but seriously, save $200 and get an STI Spartan or Taurus 1911.  Much better guns with far better creature comforts.

Better safeties, better sights, better trigger.

Nice thanks for the tip.  I'll look into it.

Some people just don't like a 4"x1" advertisement on the side of their firearm. I tend to agree. I think the desert eagle is worst. I tend to think Springfield has the right idea.

+1. I hate huge rollmarks.

I have a rock island 1911 and absolutely love it.  I abuse the gun, shoot it all the time and never any issues.  The nice thing is GI parts are interchangeable.  I actually made my RI an exact copy of one of my original GI's just by swapping parts.  That way I dont ruin the original, i have its clone to bring out all the time.