HuntingPaper

USPSA @ Shongum 07/06/13

Would you be kind enough to give some more details about the event as I have never participated in one of these and am not sure what is involved.  Not sure I understand some of the categories and such or how many rounds I need or how long this goes on for, etc....  Thanks.

Not sure I even get some of the registration questions (major vs minor?), boy am I feeling stupid this morning.

Thanks.

Would you be kind enough to give some more details about the event as I have never participated in one of these and am not sure what is involved. Not sure I understand some of the categories and such or how many rounds I need or how long this goes on for, etc.... Thanks.

Not sure I even get some of the registration questions (major vs minor?), boy am I feeling stupid this morning.

Thanks.

Check this thread:

New-to-USPSA

http://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/18511-New-to-USPSA

OK, great vidoes.  Watched them all and am now not totally clueless - just partly clueless :)

Sent you a pm with lots of specific questions.

Actually I'll post them here as well so others can answer and "other" others can benefit from the answers:

If I shoot my Glock G22 (.40cal) do I have to in production class fire .40 cal or can I use my KKM 9mm conversion barrel?

How does the timing work?  What I mean is how many rounds will I be expected to fire in what amount of time?

Will I have to shoot weak hand only?

How many mags do I need?  I assume I only need enough to hold what I shoot in a given "round" and can reload when not shooting?

What sort of distances will I be shooting at?  I assume it starts at about 7 yards and goes out further - but how far?

What Squad should I try to sign up for so I can meet up with some folks from here?

If I shoot my Glock G22 (.40cal) do I have to in production class fire .40 cal or can I use my KKM 9mm conversion barrel?

You cannot use an aftermarket barrel of another caliber and remain in production class. You can shoot .40, but you are handicapping yourself as Production is minor by default. You could shoot major in Limited 10.

How does the timing work?  What I mean is how many rounds will I be expected to fire in what amount of time?

Unless the stage is "Par Time" (wherein you have a fixed time interval to shoot X number of rounds), time starts from the go signal (buzzer/beep, whatever) and stops with your last shot. How many rounds you will fire depends on the stage description.

Will I have to shoot weak hand only?

Maybe. Again, depends on the stage description.

How many mags do I need?  I assume I only need enough to hold what I shoot in a given "round" and can reload when not shooting?

Four minimum, preferably five (one in the gun, four on the belt).

What sort of distances will I be shooting at?  I assume it starts at about 7 yards and goes out further - but how far?

Contact distance to 50 yards - 50 yards is extremely rare. Farthest I have seen at local matches is 25 - 30 yards and even that is rare. Norm is 7 to 20 yards.

What Squad should I try to sign up for so I can meet up with some folks from here?

Unless you have a board name to real name correlation, that's a tough one.

Howard - You may also want to read this...

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/37797-uspsa-idpa-a-synopsis-long/

Dependent on the equipment you have, you may want to consider trying IDPA as it is a little less equipment intensive. There are more rules that govern how you shoot a given stage (more structured), and the round counts are lower (which is something to consider in this ammo & component challenged time).

USPSA and IDPA matches can be found here...

http://www.nepaidpascores.net/

Enjoy - hope to see you out there with something other than your camera (terrific pictures BTW - always enjoy when you post them).

Adios,

Pizza Bob

So, if I understand what you are saying I should switch my registration to Limited 10 with my G22.  I only have a holster and mag pouch for that gun, so I guess that will be the way to go.

Oh and yes, Howard is my real name :)

So, if I understand what you are saying I should switch my registration to Limited 10 with my G22.  I only have a holster and mag pouch for that gun, so I guess that will be the way to go.

Oh and yes, Howard is my real name :)

Yes, Howard, I'm aware of that. Being your first time it probably won't make a lot of difference whether you shoot in Production or Ltd 10.

Do you have enough mags and mag pouches? Ron always has at least one stage that requires 30 rounds + or -. Make sure that your holster is legal also. Rules are here...

http://www.uspsa.org/rules/2010HandgunRulesProof3web.pdf

Have fun and be safe.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I assume there should be no issues with my Glock G22 holster as it is a run of the mill BLACKHAWK! Serpa CQC Gun Metal Grey Sportster Holster.  As for mag pouches I only have a double one so I guess that means 20 rounds on the belt and another 10 in the gun for a total of 30 rounds.  I have a fourth mag, but no place to put it other than a pocket :)

I figure this will be fun and have very low expectations.  If I come in any place other than dead last I will consider it a win for sure.

BTW: How many rounds of ammo should I come with?

You can carry your fourth mag in your pocket. Holster sounds fine. There will be a new shooter briefing before the match. Take 200 rounds, expect to use just over 100 - but the additional is if you have to reshoot a stage.

You could go two ways with your Glock - both Limited 10. As a .40 you could shoot it as major (most factory 165 gr and 180 gr loads will make major). With your aftermarket barrel (9mm) you could shoot Limited 10 minor - aftermarket barrels of a different caliber are allowed in Ltd 10, but not production. You can decide based ammo availability or which one you shoot better.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks Bob.  I have plenty of both 9mm and .40cal, but I think I will stick with the stock .40cal.  While I can shoot 9mm slightly better, the gun is much more reliable with .40cal.  I have never had it jam or fail to extract with .40 cal.  It hardly ever does it with 9mm, but every once in a while it might - so why ask for trouble.

This was my first match ever, heck it was my first time shooting outside period.  I had a great time and learned a lot and met a bunch of great people.  Thanks to everyone that pushed me to go and especially to Luis who set me up with some great equipment.

Squad Ron is where it's at and I was not there so poo on all of you. Especially 2alpha.

I kid of course. Everyone is super awesome at Shongum. Especially 2Alpha!

Edit for pooor spelling.