Sign in to follow this  
checko

Killflash for optic

I have a Vortex Spark and wondering if anyone had a similar optic with a killflash.  I was thinking about getting it to cut down the daytime glare, not so much for the anti reflection.  I've never looked through one so I don't know if it interferes with sight picture at all.

By design they do cut down on the light received, but they are on the front of the optic... not sure if they will actually do anything for the glare on the rear lens...

I'm not entirely sure, but i believe glare is a principle of refracted light, its what the lens is NOT allowing to pass through. Also, not all kill flashes are made the same, some have large/small thick/thin honeycombs,

This is where high quality anti-glare coatings are helpful.

This is a Aimpoint M4

You could also try polarized sunglasses, not sure if would cut down on the glare thou

photo-40-3.jpg

By design they do cut down on the light received, but they are on the front of the optic... not sure if they will actually do anything for the glare on the rear lens...

I'm not entirely sure, but i believe glare is a principle of refracted light, its what the lens is NOT allowing to pass through. Also, not all kill flashes are made the same, some have large/small thick/thin honeycombs,

This is where high quality anti-glare coatings are helpful.

This is a Aimpoint M4

You could also try polarized sunglasses, not sure if would cut down on the glare thou

photo-40-3.jpg

Nice pic.  I do think its a little misleading because of how close the pouch is behind it.  I feel like it would be a little more transparent in an open landscape.  My main concern was actually just the washing out of the dot.  I may have worded my initial post a bit ambiguously.  The sparc does have an adjustable brightness setting but would this help in changing from facing away to facing sun without messing with the settings? 

Polarized sunglasses usually make the dot go away. At least from certain angles. It interacts with the band pass coatings to reduce specific spectrums IIRC. 

I don't have issues with my sunglasses, and i looked around before trying it out and most people didn't have to much of an issue with it..

I had a pretty hard time finding a decent picture of one with a good sight picture, but yes focusing through the kill flash will blurr it. Think of it like a window screen, if you focus on it close up its hard to see out of, but we can look right through it at longer focus distances.

This should cut down on the light washing out the dot, but it's inevitable that the dot will need adjustment from extremes. It is a type of shade device that allows light in perpendicularly, so it puts the lens in the shade more often. Think of it like a semi cloudy day, the shade rolls in the dot gets brighter, when it rolls out the dot gets dimmer, so what is the lowest essential setting?

I don't have issues with my sunglasses, and i looked around before trying it out and most people didn't have to much of an issue with it..

I had a pretty hard time finding a decent picture of one with a good sight picture, but yes focusing through the kill flash will blurr it. Think of it like a window screen, if you focus on it close up its hard to see out of, but we can look right through it at longer focus distances.

I seen one with an acog but that's a magnified optic so its different I'm sure

A bit old school, but good to experiment. Get a hunk of a women's stocking and rubber band.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

It apparently optic specific. Holographic sights like the eotech HAVE to have polarizer, and polarized sunglasses all ahve the same orientation of the polarization. Eotech tries to make the interference minimal, although i suspect you can still get some at wacky angles. The bushnell versions of the holosight had issues. Some red dots come with a polarizing element to improve contrast. HEck some apparantly came with what amounts to a circular polarizing filter on the front so you could reduce light to your liking. 

So it does vary. 

I'm gonna have to try some different orientations with my Eotech, i know polarization is dependent on the orientation of the lens, not so much the angle. People can inverse gauge cluster colors on bikes buy simply replacing the polarization film and turning the new film on the lcd screen until you get the desired result. So turning the sight 90 degrees might cause an issue but i need to check that out. I actually didn't realize there was a polarizing element on the sight, and if they differ then yea, definitely going to vary.

I know companies like Oakly have been improving their polarized lenses over the years, so not all sunglasses will perform the same, too.

if your interested in trying a KillFlash on your optic - I get mine here:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/honeygrids/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

Very good quality and great customer service.

if you give them a desired measurement, they will custom cut you a KF and I suggest starting out

wit ha thinner wafer, as the thicker the wafer, the more light that is shaded.............

Good luck!