OmniaMors

Gun BuyBack in Hoboken

I really hope im posting in the right place (im a lurker so if i messed up, i apologized)

but i hear from reddit that there is a gun Buy Back in hoboken this weekend. I was thinking it would be cool to set up an opposing buy back to keep the guns in the system. Basically we dress nice (so people feel comfortable talking to us) and offer more than the police for the guns that are worth saving.

Here are the issues, its very short notice, and I dont know the legality.

Anyone else want to get involved (or take the lead since i dont know squat) in this?

Counter buy backs aren't legal in NJ

Is there a specific law written to thwart competing buybacks? Or is there something inherently restricting in our NJ firearms "privileges"? I am of course only referring to long arms.

Counter buy backs aren't legal in NJ

Since when? I let incoming "sellers" at a New Brunswick buy back know I was willing to purchase and had several conversations with private individuals in plain view of the police*. They never said a word. 

*I might be leaving further details out for obvious reasons

edit: I too am only referring to long arms

I thought about this when a buyback was held near me.

As far as I can figure:

- The buyer is legally in the clear as long as he has his FID on him, only buys long guns that are legal in NJ and the transaction doesn't take place on space where firearms are prohibited (school property etc.)

- The seller is in the clear if they also have FID along with the rest of the conditions listed above.  However, I think chances are good that sellers coming to these events will not have FID.  If the seller doesn't have an FID, they would technically be outside of the exemptions for long guns and subject to charges if caught possessing the weapon prior to the paperwork/transfer being completed.