JayM26

Do I really need to wait 6 months for my FID and P2P?

I am in Sparta, NJ. Local PD told me a 6 month wait to get things turned back around to me. I handed in all my paperwork back on May 30th.

I am reading the posts on here and many seem to be feeling the same pain in other townships. I heard through the grapevine that the NJSP and the Fed background checks are being done quite fast now. Its the townships apparently holding things up.

Anyone on here in my town that can advise how long they had to wait for theirs and any means for getting the process done quicker?

I am itching to get into the sport. Was at RTSP over last weekend with a customer that's a die hard gun owner and shot everything from a 9mm to a AR. What a great time!

Folks at RTSP really good folks. First time there. I will make that range my home when ready.

Legally your not suppose to have to wait that long the process by the book is suppose to be 30 days. However there is no one on the law level enforcing the time frame. The towns claim they are doing a extensive investigation for public safety and then they are left alone by state police. Also the policy book for all the laws regarding FID and things firearm related is hidden from public knowledge so no one knows for sure all the time frames and constraints are for the processes.

In some parts of the state it is done in under two weeks, in other parts it is nine months or longer - your mileage may vary, sorry :(

Just imagine the outcry if it took six to nine months from when a person applied for food stamps till they got them - every news outlet in the state, probably in the country, would be all over it.

When I lived in Vernon, the local PD would typically have my permits ready in 2-3 weeks.  Lately, having to deal with the NJSP (because i don't have a local PD), it has been taking me anywhere from 5-7 months for any firearms related permits.  A change of address on my FID took almost 6 months.

Some of us have started writing to our state level representatives, the state AG, the NJSP superintendent and the governor, just to let them know what is going on and asking for some relief.

Contact the mayor as soon as you can! if he is at all pro 2A or even wants to get reelected he will help you. I waited 45 days in jackson emailed the mayor 4 days later got it, my friend waited 110 i told him what i did, he emailed the mayor and had it 2 days later. Hopefully your mayor is on top of things and is willing to help, but definitely don't be shy it cant hurt to try.

Contact the mayor as soon as you can! if he is at all pro 2A or even wants to get reelected he will help you. I waited 45 days in jackson emailed the mayor 4 days later got it, my friend waited 110 i told him what i did, he emailed the mayor and had it 2 days later. Hopefully your mayor is on top of things and is willing to help, but definitely don't be shy it cant hurt to try.

Vmastro87,

That's a good tip. I just went onto the township website and sure enough the mayors email is listed right on there. I will email him now playing up how I am a law abbidding standup citizen and family man looking to excersize my right for the 2A yada...yada. Can't hurt.

Its going on 5 months for me and they cashed the check almost a month ago... 

They cashed my $12 check for the 2 handgun permits on June 5. So right away for me. The balance of payments I made with money order as required for the balance of fees.

Replacement for my lost FID took 2 weeks. No complaints for me. OP I hope your situation gets better.

Mayor already has my professionaly written email in his inbox. Let's see. I will keep you all posted.

This case shouldn't be out this way. Everything is so quiet and laid back up here. It's not a heavily populated area with a ton of things happenning. I don't see why they can't turn these around faster. When I applied the woman at the records buraeu had 90+ applicants she said the Sergeant and Chief needed to get through and that it would be 6 months. I really think this is all pure laziness and lack of urgency with the local PD holding this up.

Mayor already has my professionaly written email in his inbox. Let's see. I will keep you all posted.

This case shouldn't be up here. Everything is so quiet and laid back up here. it's not a heavily populated area with a ton of things happenning. I don't see why they can't turn these around faster. When I applied the woman at records buraeu person had 90+ applicants she said the Sergeant and Chief needed to get through and that it would be 6 months. I really think this is all pure laziness and lack of urgency with the local PD holding this up.

I wouldn't doubt it. The detective that handled my paperwork was a veteran and 2a guy. He retired but his replacement seems to be a nice guy too. 

??? Handgun purchase permits are $2 each.

I know and realized that when I had to pay. What are you going to say right? You need it done. Typical...needs to be something in it for the them too. You should see the properly taxes out this way and everything else the town hits you up with :bad:

It is a great town though and away from all the hussle and bussle which is what my wife and I wanted for our family.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. It's $5.00 for inital FID, $2.00 for each handgun permit. THAT'S IT.

The fingerprint fee ($57.50) gets paid directly to Sagem Morpho

And what balance of payments? How much are they charging you altogether?

Whoa, whoa, whoa. It's $5.00 for inital FID, $2.00 for each handgun permit. THAT'S IT.

The fingerprint fee ($57.50) gets paid directly to Sagem Morpho

And what balance of payments? How much are they charging you altogether?

I don't remember exactly but I think they pocketed an additional $5 total on the gun permit form. Isn't there small charge just for the app processing too? I do remember the per gun $2 charge.

I don't remember exactly but I think they pocketed an additional $5 total on the gun permit form. Isn't there small charge just for the app processing too? I do remember the per gun $2 charge.

Nope, by statute, the processing fee is the $5 for FID, $2 per permit.

Go to a town council meeting.  Every town should have public meetings at which minutes are taken.  In my town the meetings are shown on a local cable station.  There is usually a time set aside for good and welfare in which members of the public can comment on anything -- they give you 5 minutes in my town.  Complain to the council, in public and on the record at the meeting, about how long it's taking.  Mention that the law provides for 30 days.  You'd be surprised how town council members and the mayor might respond, even if they aren't pro-2A.  If you are reasonable and explain that you object to the abuse of process and arbitrary delays, they may feel compelled to do something.

Go to a town council meeting.  Every town should have public meetings at which minutes are taken.  In my town the meetings are shown on a local cable station.  There is usually a time set aside for good and welfare in which members of the public can comment on anything -- they give you 5 minutes in my town.  Complain to the council, in public and on the record at the meeting, about how long it's taking.  Mention that the law provides for 30 days.  You'd be surprised how town council members and the mayor might respond, even if they aren't pro-2A.  If you are reasonable and explain that you object to the abuse of process and arbitrary delays, they may feel compelled to do something.

I mentioned in my email specifically the 30 day statute that it should take and that I was advised by our bureau it would take 6 months. If I were mayor, that would be enough to raise my eyebrows for my towns compliance and act on it. But that's just me :)

I already got a response. The mayor flipped my email to the Township Manager to get back to me. He emailed me back copying the Mayor and Chief of Police advising the State is backlogged and awaiting the necessary steps for the gun permits. I must say that was very nice of them to quickly get on it and advise me. I can see how that part is out of their control. So maybe it is the State holding matters up even though I heard the background checks were being done quicker? I replied to all of them appreciating thanks regardless.

They at least know who I am now and I asked nicely and profesionally to assist me and expedite matters on the township side once they get word back from the State. He advised to check back in. It's barely 2 months since I applied and I know folks have already waited much longer than I have so I guess I shouldn't really complain even though we all throw around 30 days as the magic number. I am not one to make a stink yet I do feel better knowing that maybe I'm not on the bottom of the pile now.

I'll keep you posted.

Except they lied to you, the state isn't backed up any longer last I heard. 

My buddy just told me the same. I guess we will see. Hopefully thay already have everything back from the State and they process me through.

My buddy just told me the same. I guess we will see. Hopefully thay already have everything back from the State and they process me through

Glad to see you got a response i know for me it was at least a good feeling that there is someone out there listening. As per what they said thought i agree they are lying. Like i said in a matter of a 1 week span with a simple email me and a friend got 2 done. Hopefully this at least pushes you to the top of the pile and makes you a priority i know that's what it did for us.

**Update**

Little over 3 months now since I applied. Email follow-up didn't get a response last week from Township Manager, Chief, or Mayor. No surprise. Township Manager resigned and read in paper so I knew it was time to show my face.

Walked into the PD today and spoke to Admin person. Sweet lady and helpful as she sat at her desk in front of a 9 inch pile of FID and P2P paperwork files. She advised it's been only 3 months and I advised how other towns are getting them done in 2-4 weeks. She said "no way...not here". They were catching up some so they weren't up to a 6 month wait from what she advised. For those here that get word from that the state is holding up...don't believe it. It's the township or your SP barracks that's making the excuse as they don't have the personnel resources.

They were up to handling all the folks who applied in April and I was in this group. She said I got bumped up. (albeit from my emails) She said they were currently doing the background check on me. I asked how much longer. She said to give it a month and if I don't hear from her to give her a call and handed me her card. Looks like I am anywhere hopefully in the 2-4 week point from today to getting the good news I hope or possibly sooner. So could be roughly a 4 month wait which would have been longer if I didn't press.

I'll confirm when I get the final call/letter.

FID's and permits are not priority for most towns, so they give not a shit how long it takes for you. They don't see it as a right they control what happens. THUMBS UP for having a mayor to bitch to. If you went through NJSP like some of us you would really have no recourse. Hope it all works out and you don't have to wait much longer! GL

FID's and permits are not priority for most towns, so they give not a shit how long it takes for you. They don't see it as a right they control what happens. THUMBS UP for having a mayor to **** to. If you went through NJSP like some of us you would really have no recourse. Hope it all works out and you don't have to wait much longer! GL

Are you still waiting on yours too??! Saw your sig.

Good luck to you as well if the case.

Yea man 4+ months but I was told all my stuff was sent up to the "firearms unit" on 8/13. Can't imagine it taking much longer but two things are getting real freakin old ..1)staring at upper recievers on my bench 2) my taurus 809 sitting at an FFL....

Oh well..we all stay positive man!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4