Sign in to follow this  
Nick T

Traveling with Firearms

Im flying to Vegas in September, and I don't go anywhere without carrying. That said my question is simple but the airline regulations like NJ Gun Laws are vague to be soft. The airline states they charge you the price of one checked bag for transportation of a firearm. My question is if I put my handgun in a hard case then in my checked luggage do they charge me for 2 bags or one? Sounds stupid I know but I'd like to know and the airline has one of those stupid online auto chats as opposed to a customer service number.

Im flying to Vegas in September, and I don't go anywhere without carrying. That said my question is simple but the airline regulations like NJ Gun Laws are vague to be soft. The airline states they charge you the price of one checked bag for transportation of a firearm. My question is if I put my handgun in a hard case then in my checked luggage do they charge me for 2 bags or one? Sounds stupid I know but I'd like to know and the airline has one of those stupid online auto chats as opposed to a customer service number.

Which airline?

I put mine in my suitcase with United. No extra fees. Maybe they are talking about checking a rifle case.

Are you LEO? If not, what permit do you have that will allow you to carry in NV?

I'm LEO

I'm LEO

Are you a Fed? If so you should already know about carrying on a commercial aircraft. Before I retired I always carried on the plane wherever I was going in the US, business or pleasure. We had to take some on line test after 9/11. If you are state or local you need a letter from your chief that you're on official business and other requirements which I'm not sure of now.

If you're state or local travelling for pleasure the rules are no different than those for non-LEO.

Are you a Fed? If so you should already know about carrying on a commercial aircraft. Before I retired I always carried on the plane wherever I was going in the US, business or pleasure. We had to take some on line test after 9/11. If you are state or local you need a letter from your chief that you're on official business and other requirements which I'm not sure of now.

If you're state or local travelling for pleasure the rules are no different than those for non-LEO.

I don't plan on physically carrying on the plane, only when I get to Vegas for the flight she will be secured under the plane