If you carry a knife for any reason it must be for an explainable lawful purpose. So if you get caught with it and get asked why you have it your answer better be correct or you will be charged with unlawful possession of a weapon. There is no minimum or maximum blade length like New York has.

this is just a thought, please correct me if i'm wrong

if you are caught with a blade and questioned about it, don't say it's for "self defense". because that makes it sound like you intend to use it as a weapon and are therefore carrying a "concealed weapon" which is a no no 

this is just a thought, please correct me if i'm wrong

if you are caught with a blade and questioned about it, don't say it's for "self defense". because that makes it sound like you intend to use it as a weapon and are therefore carrying a "concealed weapon" which is a no no

Correct.

Correct.

not trying to jack this thread or anything 

but what kind of folding knife would you recommend? I carried around a recon 1 for a while, but swapped it out for a spyderco tenacious because its easier to say it's an edc knife vs. the recon 1 

I wouldn't really get bogged down in buying a "NJ safe" knife. Buy what works best for you. Just remember that EDC stands for 'everyday carry' so you use it for everyday cutting tasks. It's not illegal and any LEO that gives you trouble about it has no legal ground to stand on.

I wouldn't really get bogged down in buying a "NJ safe" knife. Buy what works best for you. Just remember that EDC stands for 'everyday carry' so you use it for everyday cutting tasks. It's not illegal and any LEO that gives you trouble about it has no legal ground to stand on.

Unless you say it's for self defense. Then you could get in trouble.

What do you do when you work in dangerous environments example clothes caught while working on railroad tracks and train approaching but your company says no knives

I worked security at a hospital for a short while (you'll see why) and I carried a knife with me as I always do.  My boss said I couldn't carry the knife since it was a weapon, and someone could take it off me and stab people with it.  My response was nurses and doctors walk around with needles and EMT shears which will do just as much damage as my knife, are you going to tell them the same thing? He gave me some political BS about how its necessary for their job but I don't need one for mine.  I guess that's how you think when you only worked security for 3 years of your life and then your in charge of the whole building.

If you carry a knife for any reason it must be for an explainable lawful purpose. So if you get caught with it and get asked why you have it your answer better be correct or you will be charged with unlawful possession of a weapon. There is no minimum or maximum blade length like New York has.

Exactly right. That's why all my knives are tools, which I use mainly for opening boxes and packaging and for cutting food.

IMO, this is one good reason to stay away from knives with names like, "The Stryker Eviscerator." Much harder to explain to a jury the lawful intent of the Eviscerator compared with the "110." Even a real knife name like the CQC might raise eyebrows when a prosecutor asks why you're carrying a knife specifically designed for "close quarters combat," when you're supposedly just skinning apples.

I carry a Spyderco Tenacious every day.  I often use it at the mall to slice an apple, open plastic packages, or remove tags from purchases.  Normally it is stowed in a hip pocket with only the clip visible.  Never been questioned, but if I was I would explain what I normally use it for.