Sign in to follow this  
SgtToadette

Stupid NFA question.

Good question and I'm interested to get an answer to this as well. Maybe post this in r/guns as well or shoot a pm to u/Firearmconcierge on reddit. He is a bit of a douche but being an FFL that deals with NFA items and the ATF on a daily basis, he might have an answer for you or you may end up as one of his emails of the day lol. 

I seriously doubt you would get it. If you were to get it, what's to stop you from making your rifle an SBR? You have the stamp.

I would take a guess and say no way while you are in NJ.

I was wondering because SBRs are banned by overall length in NJ law. I don't know of a NJ statute that prohibits me from having a registered lower so long as I meet other NJ firearm legalities.

The CLEO would have to sign-off on your stamp - doubt that will happen

So it's similar to carry permits in that it's not technically illegal, but is never going to get past your local chief. Got it.

Thanks for the replies everyone. My curiosity has been satiated.

There are two different issues here:

One - NJ will not allow you the own / possess an SBR

Second - Applying for a NFA tax stamp on just a lower does not make any difference

as you would be telling the ATF that you have an SBR even though you really don't.

In which case - NJ State law prevails and you can't have one

Seeings how the lower is the actual firearm it wouldn't matter what upper you put on it, there is no way NJ will let you own a SBR. It would be the same as registering a supressor even if you never intend on installing it. While you could file for an NFA trust in NJ you would still not be able to own NFA items, technically you are allowed to own a machine gun but goodluck on that one.