It's that time again!  Lets talk CCW handguns... I need one... I have my eyes on one but want to get some other perspectives.  First and foremost I am not concealing another full size gun, that is a pain in the ass and I am not doing it again, if I wanted to do that I'd save the money and keep the full size I have. 

The one I am looking at is the Springfield xdM compact 3.8 inch .45 ACP.  ( I like the .40 but the extended magazine originally holds 16+1 and I am not sure I want to deal with the hassel of finding pinned .40 extended mags) I have looked at the xdS but I like the feel of the xdM better, and like that it holds more rounds.  I also like that the xdM can be "xtended".  So I would like to know some other CCW ideas.  I am way open to all brands. 

I would look at the S&W M&P 9 Shield.

Just got done checking it out... I like the M&P line but have only shot the .40 full size.  I like that it is lighter than the xdM but its also a 9mm, the xdM in .45 carries more ammo.  Thanks for your submission but I don't think the shield is for me

Really the hangup between the shield and the xdM is round count.  the shield in .40 holds 6 or 7 with the +1 mag, where the xdm is 11 or 16(stock).  I love the feel of the xdm and if the shield is the same feel as the other M&P products it is also a very smooth feeling weapon so basically I would lean toward what holds more.

Nick I may take you up on that!

Let me pose another question, other than M&P and XD(M)(S), are there any OTHER brands that you guys conceal or would or have in other states?  I am not a revolver fan (sorry just not my thing) and I just don't know much about other brands...

I saw walther has a conceal carry that looks like it would be SUPER comfortable to hold and shoot but I dunno much about them.  I had a Taurus milinium pro compact and traded it for a full size (which i currently have)

It's a good looking weapon, I may see if the range rents them (doubt it with it being so expensive)

If you ever find yourself up this way, you're welcome to put any of my HKs through the ringer.

the .40 is 10+1 and I don't know if they have an extender magazine, vs the xdM which is 11+1 and 15 wit hthe modded extender

You can use the full size mags with the x-grip molded extender. Will give you 15+1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I will be carrying very shortly as my move will be complete by early August and my ccw app is in for Florida.

I have an xdm 3.8 compact 40 as previously stated and I love the gun. I worry about its concealability in the very light clothing I will be wearing in south florida. I plan on getting a cm9 for pocket carry and or an XDs for those much lighter cloths days.

I am a very big 5'6" and have trouble concealing a double stack

I also have a Taurus 709slim I will conceal as well at least until I get the kahr.

Right now I conceal a Taurus PT101-P.... I dunno if youve seen these but its a recreate of the Baretta and it is HUGE and heavy... I picked it up YEARS ago for under $300 and I LOVE IT!  people hate on taurus all the time but it was cheap, ive put nearly 2000 rounds down range (and in back yards when I lived down south) and this thing has NEVER jammed, misfed, it is a very straight and true gun.  I love it and doubt id ever get rid of it BUT for concealing, its a pain in the rear!

Lol at all you guys with your big carry guns....

What's the last time you carried for more then a day? I just got back from vacation in PA and even carrying my p-64 (walther PPK) for a week has me thinking about smaller options.

to be honest for a day or 2 at a time I never noticed but for a week straight of 90+ degree days walking around outside it starts to become a bother.