Shawnmoore81

Android phones used as wire taps

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/08/02/fbi-can-remotely-activate-microphones-in-android-smartphones-source-says/

This is just friggin insane. Alex jones has been saying this for a while. The government is seeming to give him more credibility by the day. Hopefully iPhones are safe.

So I guess I should pull the battery out of my phone everytime Im discussing my plans to try to take over the world?  :haha:

They don't care about that. They are clearly more concerned with gathering dirt and evidence against all law abiding Citizens.

It doesn't even matter if you remove the battery. They all have capacitors in them that store energy for quite some time!!!

Even if you remove the battery and drive to the west coast there is plenty enough power to ping your GPS location every 30 minutes for a LONG time!!! Welcome to the lithium age...

Can't remove a battery from an iPhone. Hmmm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

so essentially we are talking about voice and text? Im gathering form this that if you have a cell phone than the government is always chillin in your pocket haha

Voice, text, location, camera images and video, mobile browsing history and much more. Most smartphones have front and rear facing cameras for a reason, you can't really buy one without a front facing camera any more.

Also add on proximity sensors, motion sensors,, light density sensors, gyroscopes, etc...

Your phone is like a black box on steroids.

Voice, text, location, camera images and video, mobile browsing history and much more. Most smartphones have front and rear facing cameras for a reason, you can't really buy one without a front facing camera any more.

It doesn't even matter if you remove the battery. They all have capacitors in them that store energy for quite some time!!!

Even if you remove the battery and drive to the west coast there is plenty enough power to ping your GPS location every 30 minutes for a LONG time!!! Welcome to the lithium age...

No way. The GPS circuits eat the battery like crazy. If you remove the battery, there is no way they could use the GPS for tracking. Capacitors couldn't even keep the cell signal going for more than a couple seconds.

Considering how fast the GPS chip eats through the large capacity lithium battery, I'm pretty sure a few capacitors aren't going to cut it for much. I highly doubt they'd make it to acquiring the satellite signals as most of what makes that seem so quick with cells is funny tricks with tower locations and wifi signal maps. 

We are not talking about a open tracking on the GPS chipS, we are talking about a location ping.

Your phone's "GPS chip" is using satellite, WIFI and 4G "chips" on your phone, that is why your phones batteries are being eaten while you do an "OPEN GPS ROUTING".

3,000 miles with a ping every 30 minutes at 60 MPH is 100 pings. There would be NO problem pinging the chipset 100 times with the reserve capacitors.

No way. The GPS circuits eat the battery like crazy. If you remove the battery, there is no way they could use the GPS for tracking. Capacitors couldn't even keep the cell signal going for more than a couple seconds.

Considering how fast the GPS chip eats through the large capacity lithium battery, I'm pretty sure a few capacitors aren't going to cut it for much. I highly doubt they'd make it to acquiring the satellite signals as most of what makes that seem so quick with cells is funny tricks with tower locations and wifi signal maps. 

We are not talking about a open tracking on the GPS chipS, we are talking about a location ping.

Your phone's "GPS chip" is using satellite, WIFI and 4G "chips" on your phone, that is why your phones batteries are being eaten while you do an "OPEN GPS ROUTING".

3,000 miles with a ping every 30 minutes at 60 MPH is 100 pings. There would be NO problem pinging the chipset 100 times with the reserve capacitors.

Not going to happen. The caps would have to be as big as the whole cellphone to send and receive cellular signals for more than a seconds.

You guys are right, I should promptly return my Electrical Engineering degree. I should definitely quit my job as well, because I obviously misunderstand my field...

Let me explain trajectory map-"ping" to you, which uses almost NO POWER AT ALL.

Trajectory mapping uses raw position tracks obtained largely from cellular base station fingerprints. Trajectory mapping, which involves taking a sequence of raw  position samples and producing the most likely path followed by the user, is an important component in many location based services including crowd-sourced traffic monitoring, navigation and routing, and personalized trip management. Using only cellular (GSM) fingerprints instead of power hungry GPS and WiFi radios, the marginal energy consumed for trajectory mapping is zero. This approach is non-trivial because we need to process streams of highly inaccurate GSM localization samples (average error of over 175 meters) and produce an accurate trajectory.

Not going to happen. The caps would have to be as big as the whole cellphone to send and receive cellular signals for more than a seconds.

This. It's not the GPS position chewing power, it's the transmission of said position to a third party.

You guys are right, I should promptly return my Electrical Engineering degree. I should definitely quit my job as well, because I obviously misunderstand my field...

Let me explain trajectory map-"ping" to you, which uses almost NO POWER AT ALL.

It does not require additional power, if you have cellular connectivity. You don't have access to network based location information when the cellular radio is off.

It does not require additional power, if you have cellular connectivity. You don't have access to network based location information when the cellular radio is off.

I was just going to say that.  You would also have to at least power some sort of processor and be able to write to either some sort of storage (memory or flash) to be able to "record" the data points.  You would not be able to "transmit" any of this info without the power of a battery and doubtful that you could "record" much without it either.  The MIT paper suggests that the "additional" power consumption is nearly zero, but only considering that everything else is powered up (cpu, memory, cellular chip, etc.).