dwamp2006

Took my fiance to the range for the first time ever......

AND SHE LOVED IT!!!!

Think i may have converted her. When i brought guns into the house she was afraid and against them but dealt with it. We went to RAF in PA (probably not the best place for a beginner) but she had  blast, not afraid of the noise at all. I brought the M&P 15/22, M&P22, SD9 and Savage 12ga. We started off with the 15/22 but she was unable to shoot it correctly since shes only 5' even and the stock is pinned all the way back (im 6'6" so its fine for me). So next i took out the M&P22, had a bunch of fail to feeds but once we got her stance good and elbows locked that went away. Then came the SD9, well she was alittle caught of guard after shooting the .22s but still had fun with it. Her aim was all over the place but that'll come with time. Range officer told her stay away from the 12ga so i only put a few rounds threw it myself. Her face was priceless though when i showed her the size of the shells compared the .22, lol. Anyway she put about 250 rnds of .22 through the M&P22 and had a blast with it, that was deff her favorite to shoot. All in all a good time! She was all smiles on the way out and the RO even said something to her about the grin she had. Now its time to clean the guns.... thats my job, lol. 

Side note, she does not have an FID nor is interested just yet on owning any guns. But the M&P22 was just a little too large for her hands. Would i be able to go to a shop and let her hold and look for a smaller .22 pistol that i can buy for her to use? I would be in complete control of it at all time, locked in my safe and only used under my supervision so it would be 100% my gun but just something smaller for her to have fun with.....

AND SHE LOVED IT!!!!

Congratulations.  Glad you guys had a good time, and she enjoyed shooting the 22.  Most dealers have a problem letting someone with a FID card, but not a P2P handle guns.  I think you'll have a problem taking her to gun shops just to "try them on for size."

I think the fact she does not have a FID will red flag the FFL. He will most likely suspect a straw purchase. I would avoid this.

I suggest renting some different ones at a range or meet someone with something you like to try at a range

thanks guys, i was thinking something like the SR22 might fit her good. Im waiting on 3 P2Ps and have a atleast a few months left of waiting so we'll see what happens.

I was also thinking the 12ga would be too much, really in the back of my mind i knew she wouldn't shoot it but i just wanted to see her reaction when i did. and it was priceless!!

eventually if she finds enough interested in it i might just have her go and get an FID and a p2p so she can have her own to bring, legally without and issues. But since we have a 20 month old and a 7 month old its hard enough for me to get the range, let alone both of us. We were just lucky enough today that my inlaws baby sat while we went.

I know RTSP doesn't have a problem with non-FID people handling the rental guns just to "try out". Maybe other ranges are the same?

eventually if she finds enough interested in it i might just have her go and get an FID and a p2p so she can have her own to bring, legally without and issues. But since we have a 20 month old and a 7 month old its hard enough for me to get the range, let alone both of us. We were just lucky enough today that my inlaws baby sat while we went.

This is an issue for me to. I was planning on suggesting to some of the larger ranges nearby that they start offering daycare service! A lot of gyms offer this, so why can't ranges?

I know RTSP doesn't have a problem with non-FID people handling the rental guns just to "try out". Maybe other ranges are the same?

This is an issue for me to. I was planning on suggesting to some of the larger ranges nearby that they start offering daycare service! A lot of gyms offer this, so why can't ranges?

In one word:  LEAD!

Do you have any idea what the cost of insurance and inspections would be to monitor the LEAD in infants and toddlers?  Separate restrooms?  Separate air handling systems?  Separate building altogether?

Now that that question has been put to rest, CONGRATS on the good time you had together!

For a rifle or scattergun for her I'd look at a Youth Model to fit her better.  And everyone should own a Ruger .22 MK3 target (good for little girl's hands in our Youth Bullseye League).

Since you know how to drive to PA, just take her to the candy store (Cabela's) and have them show her anything she wants to hold--but I'd stay away from .500 Mags and .357 snubbies, lol!

What ever you decide gun-wise, keep in mind that before you go pick-up the kids (after a range session, especially an INDOOR one), it would be a good idea to change clothes and get a shampoo to reduce the qty of lead the kids are exposed to.

Have FUN and be SAFE!  If you need any other help, just PM me!

Dave

Try a target .22 Pistol.  Beretta Neos has a pretty slim grip.

With a face only a mother could love. :p Ruger SR-22 appears to be a nice, small frame .22lr. I have a Walther P22, which in my opinion is a great starter pistol. Walther makes a 3.4" barreled, and 5" barreled target model. I would get the "Q" model, which has the updated grip from the Walther PPQ.

5120302-l.png

or if you like a little bling....

5120326-l.png