DbleTrouble

debating between G26 or G27

Ive got a gen3 27. It tries to jump out of my hand when I shoot it. Better with the extended mag though. If you go to RTSP In Randolph, ( think I still have a few guest passes) I'll let you shoot it if you want. The gen4 isn't much different other than double spring, the grip pattern, and the mag release button is bigger. Im 130lbs 5'6" that gun with stock magazine is hard for my little hand to hold on target between shots. 11 rd mag gives me a little more leverage with my pinky. I even tried holding the gun with my left hand holding the front of the trigger guard down and it didn't help me. I should have got a 26 instead. I love my 17 and 19. And I actually hate glocks I used to think they were cool until I bought a Sig.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Ive got a gen3 27. It tries to jump out of my hand when I shoot it. Better with the extended mag though. If you go to RTSP In Randolph, ( think I still have a few guest passes) I'll let you shoot it if you want. The gen4 isn't much different other than double spring, the grip pattern, and the mag release button is bigger. Im 130lbs 5'6" that gun with stock magazine is hard for my little hand to hold on target between shots. 11 rd mag gives me a little more leverage with my pinky. I even tried holding the gun with my left hand holding the front of the trigger guard down and it didn't help me. I should have got a 26 instead. I love my 17 and 19. And I actually hate glocks I used to think they were cool until I bought a Sig. Sent using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the invite but Randolph is a hike for me.

I have the g17, And the g27. I think the g27 shoots better, not as bulky as the g17. I have factory 15 round mags for it, it's a great little gun that when you shoot, it shoots all day. My vote is the g27.

How can you say the 27 shoots better than a 17?

Just some clarification here.  The G26 and G27 of ALL generations come with the dual recoil spring.  I believe the current Gen4 dual recoil spring setup in the compact and fullsize models, comes from the G26/27 design.

I have a G26 that I like.  My 1st experience w/ one was about 5 or so years ago.  Was at Bullet Hole shooting a G19 and a couple of guys got the port next to me and were shooting shotgun patterns w/ the G26.  I asked if they wouldn't mind if I took 5 rounds on it using my own ammo.  They agreed and said the gun wasn't accurate.  I put 5 rounds into about 1.5" at 10 yards or so.  The look on the one guy's face was priceless.  I got a laugh out of that.  I digress...sorry.  I like the G26, and mine happens to have the nicest Glock trigger I've ever felt.... and it's stock.  I am not getting rid of it, but it barely gets shot.  Very accurate pistol.  I like the G19 considerably better.  I don't carry, but I don't see that much of difference between a G19 and G26, but that's me.  Personally, I wouldn't buy a G27.  I've never shot one, but can't see it being all that pleasant to shoot.  I have a Gen4 G23 that I tolerate, but am far from in love with.  Considering selling it actually.  I'd consider a Gen4 G22 or G35, but DO NOT like that every Glock .40 puts a bulge in the cartridge case.  For .40's, I've moved over to the M&P platform as it handles the recoil better and doesn't put that stupid bulge in the case.

Just some clarification here.  The G26 and G27 of ALL generations come with the dual recoil spring.  I believe the current Gen4 dual recoil spring setup in the compact and fullsize models, comes from the G26/27 design.

I have a G26 that I like.  My 1st experience w/ one was about 5 or so years ago.  Was at Bullet Hole shooting a G19 and a couple of guys got the port next to me and were shooting shotgun patterns w/ the G26.  I asked if they wouldn't mind if I took 5 rounds on it using my own ammo.  They agreed and said the gun wasn't accurate.  I put 5 rounds into about 1.5" at 10 yards or so.  The look on the one guy's face was priceless.  I got a laugh out of that.  I digress...sorry.  I like the G26, and mine happens to have the nicest Glock trigger I've ever felt.... and it's stock.  I am not getting rid of it, but it barely gets shot.  Very accurate pistol.  I like the G19 considerably better.  I don't carry, but I don't see that much of difference between a G19 and G26, but that's me.  Personally, I wouldn't buy a G27.  I've never shot one, but can't see it being all that pleasant to shoot.  I have a Gen4 G23 that I tolerate, but am far from in love with.  Considering selling it actually.  I'd consider a Gen4 G22 or G35, but DO NOT like that every Glock .40 puts a bulge in the cartridge case.  For .40's, I've moved over to the M&P platform as it handles the recoil better and doesn't put that stupid bulge in the case.

Does the bulge in the cartridge case affect reloading?

I also own a G23 and have never noticed it but will pay close attention next time I'm at the range.

I like my G23 and am fairly accurate with it (for the amount of practice I get) so I'm leading to believe it's a matter of personal preference, hand size, etc.

If I use P+ ammo 9mm or regular .40 ammo.  There is only a small increase in weight of the bullet and a small increase in energy at the muzzle.  Doesn't that mean that the recoil will be about the same?

Does the bulge in the cartridge case affect reloading?

I also own a G23 and have never noticed it but will pay close attention next time I'm at the range.

I like my G23 and am fairly accurate with it (for the amount of practice I get) so I'm leading to believe it's a matter of personal preference, hand size, etc.

If I use P+ ammo 9mm or regular .40 ammo.  There is only a small increase in weight of the bullet and a small increase in energy at the muzzle.  Doesn't that mean that the recoil will be about the same?

Sorry, I should have been more clear.  I don't know if all .40 Glocks exhibit the buldge, but everyone that I've fired does.  This would be about 10 various .40 Glocks.  I don't reload (yet), so have no idea if there are any reloading issues w/ the bulged cases.  I would venture to guess that the case would be weakened by the bulging though.  I understand the bulging comes from the lack of case support in the feed ramp area of the barrel.  I agree that the .40 Glocks are accurate.  For me, I'm not as accurate on the 2nd shot vs. a 9mm.

Regarding +P 9mm vs. .40, yes no question, +P ammo will recoil harder than standard pressure 9mm, but I still think it's easier (however slight) to get that 2nd shot on target w/ the 9mm.

Does the gen 3 have a much thicker handle than gen 4?

Same in width.  Going from frontstrap to backstrap ...

No backstrap = 2mm shorter than Gen3

Medium backstrap = Gen3

Big backstrap = 2mm longer than Gen3

or somewhere thereabouts... :nomention:

The gen 4 grip feels nicer than my gen 3 grip. The checking pattern is slightly different. Also the mag release button on the gen 4 is bigger and more easily reached by a short thumb or smaller hand. Think I posted that earlier in this thread but dont remember.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

The gen 4 grip feels nicer than my gen 3 grip. The checking pattern is slightly different. Also the mag release button on the gen 4 is bigger and more easily reached by a short thumb or smaller hand. Think I posted that earlier in this thread but dont remember.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

I don't remember either but I appreciate the info.

With all due respect... You don't carry a gun.... But you have an opinion on carrying the 27 and don't feel it's worth the difference.... You have never shot a 27 but yet you feel you should offer the opinion to not buy one....

The advantage to 40 cal Glocks is 9mm conversions are readily available.... So two calibers on one handgun on one permit...

The difference between carry conceal of a 27 and 23 was enough to cause me to sell my 23.... I sold my 23 to pick up a full size 22 since I literally never carried my 23... 27 is far easier to conceal...

I reload 40 out of my glock with no issues...

With all due respect... You don't carry a gun.... But you have an opinion on carrying the 27 and don't feel it's worth the difference.... You have never shot a 27 but yet you feel you should offer the opinion to not buy one....

Gotta tell ya, you're right.  Hopefully, someday we can have carry here and I can have an informed decision on this.  Having said that, I've shot my share of 9mm's and .40's in comparable platforms and "usually" prefer the 9mm.  Hey, to each their own.  Having said that, I fully believe if one trains enough w/ any caliber, one can become pretty proficient w/ that caliber.

The advantage to 40 cal Glocks is 9mm conversions are readily available.... So two calibers on one handgun on one permit...

Agree here.  While I don't have any conversion barrels for my Glocks, I do have a conversion barrel for my M&P 40 for 9mm, and especially for an NJ'er, this is an important thing.  What conversion barrel do you have?  Any reliability issues?

The difference between carry conceal of a 27 and 23 was enough to cause me to sell my 23.... I sold my 23 to pick up a full size 22 since I literally never carried my 23... 27 is far easier to conceal...

While the 27 is easier to conceal, do you find you can shoot it as well as the 23?   I've shot my G26 against the G19 a few times.  While I can shoot the G26 well, I can shoot the G19 better and, I would guess more importantly, better and quicker.  I look at the G26/G27 as still being a pretty chunky gun.  I have a variety of holsters at home and do experiment w/ what works for me and what not.  Again, not having actual experience carrying, but from my own observations, I don't see the G26/27 as being all that smaller than the G19/23.  And while maybe the G26/27 is small enough to make a big difference in carry, at what point does shootability give way to concealability?

Do you get the bulge?  I've never seen a .40 Glock, not produce the bulge in the case.

So, my apologies for not having a credible opinion on the G27 as a carry weapon.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

+1!  Really like the new checkering as my hands don't slip nearly as much as the Gen2/Gen3 textures.

Gotta tell ya, you're right.  Hopefully, someday we can have carry here and I can have an informed decision on this.  Having said that, I've shot my share of 9mm's and .40's in comparable platforms and "usually" prefer the 9mm.  Hey, to each their own.  Having said that, I fully believe if one trains enough w/ any caliber, one can become pretty proficient w/ that caliber.

Agree here.  While I don't have any conversion barrels for my Glocks, I do have a conversion barrel for my M&P 40 for 9mm, and especially for an NJ'er, this is an important thing.  What conversion barrel do you have?  Any reliability issues?

While the 27 is easier to conceal, do you find you can shoot it as well as the 23?   I've shot my G26 against the G19 a few times.  While I can shoot the G26 well, I can shoot the G19 better and, I would guess more importantly, better and quicker.  I look at the G26/G27 as still being a pretty chunky gun.  I have a variety of holsters at home and do experiment w/ what works for me and what not.  Again, not having actual experience carrying, but from my own observations, I don't see the G26/27 as being all that smaller than the G19/23.  And while maybe the G26/27 is small enough to make a big difference in carry, at what point does shootability give way to concealability?

Do you get the bulge?  I've never seen a .40 Glock, not produce the bulge in the case.

So, my apologies for not having a credible opinion on the G27 as a carry weapon.

my spent cases look pretty uniform... if there is any bulging it is not obvious... I have only shot one glock using a conversion barrel and it was a lone wolf barrel with 9mm... I do not own anything 9mm so I have not made the purchase myself.. I was getting ready to do all this right as ammo went nuts... so never followed through and just stuck with 40...

as far as accuracy... I am proficient enough to hit a center mass target at SD distances....

when I shoot my handguns that I carry I try to shoot AND draw from numerous positions.. seated.. on my back.. etc... and the gun runs fine... it is just sucky to shoot because it is snappy and nto a ton to hold onto...

the size if the gun is smaller where it matters.... when I carry IWB having a short pistol grip makes the gun very unlikely to stick out or print.. the 23 was concealable.. but not nearly as compact as the 27..

ill agree with anyone that says the 27 sucks to shoot.. it does..

but for me it definitely has its place..  and if you practice with it.. it will do its part and get on target. 

I have a 26 and have rented the 27.  The 26 is a really nice shooter and you can shoot it all day without any fatigue.

The 27 was a totally different story for me.  I put about half a box down range and really disliked the recoil.  40 is a 

snappy round and to me I feel it is a full size gun round.  I don't feel it's as manageable in the smaller, sub-compact

style guns.  That's just me though and be forewarned I am a bit of a hater of 40SW.  Not for stopping power or anything.

I don't get into those debates.  Simply because I don't like the handling characteristics of the round and I don't shoot

as well with it.  A smaller gun certainly doesn't help.  

That being said I say 26 for sure.  

my spent cases look pretty uniform... if there is any bulging it is not obvious... I have only shot one glock using a conversion barrel and it was a lone wolf barrel with 9mm... I do not own anything 9mm so I have not made the purchase myself.. I was getting ready to do all this right as ammo went nuts... so never followed through and just stuck with 40...

as far as accuracy... I am proficient enough to hit a center mass target at SD distances....

when I shoot my handguns that I carry I try to shoot AND draw from numerous positions.. seated.. on my back.. etc... and the gun runs fine... it is just sucky to shoot because it is snappy and nto a ton to hold onto...

the size if the gun is smaller where it matters.... when I carry IWB having a short pistol grip makes the gun very unlikely to stick out or print.. the 23 was concealable.. but not nearly as compact as the 27..

ill agree with anyone that says the 27 sucks to shoot.. it does..

but for me it definitely has its place..  and if you practice with it.. it will do its part and get on target. 

Thanks!