kwadz

2013 hunting digest is available online

You'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge here:

On page 62, regarding permissible firearms for fox/coyote season, it states:                   

Centerfire rifles: From .177 to maximum of .25 caliber with soft point or hollow point bullets and maximum of 80 grains.

Does that mean it's now legal to hunt (fox and coyote) with rifles chambered in: 22-250, .222, .223, .243, .25-06, 6mm Rem, etc?

You'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge here:

On page 62, regarding permissible firearms for fox/coyote season, it states:                   

Centerfire rifles: From .177 to maximum of .25 caliber with soft point or hollow point bullets and maximum of 80 grains.

Does that mean it's now legal to hunt (fox and coyote) with rifles chambered in: 22-250, .222, .223, .243, .25-06, 6mm Rem, etc?

Yes, on private property only.

I was just at the Clinton WMA the other day and the posted range rules allow 17 & 22 target practice.

From the website...

http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/wmaregs.htm

Target Practice

Only archery, shotgun, muzzleloading shotgun, muzzleloading rifle and modern .17 and .22 caliber rimfire rifle shooting is allowed in designated hunter training ranges. One member of the shooting party must have a current, valid New Jersey hunting license.

The following types of ranges are available on designated WMAs statewide:

Shotgun Range: for use with clay birds and the patterning of fine shot (lead-free only shot at Assunpinkand Colliers Mills);

Archery Range: approved backstops at select ranges, no broadheads allowed;

Muzzleloading Rifle and Shotgun Slug Range: for sighting in with shotgun slugs or buckshot, modern .17 and .22 caliber rimfire rifles and muzzleloaders; no other firearms allowed.

I am waitng on a call back from  NJ Wild Life for a clarification.

Page 26:

Rifles for small game hunting are allowed using limited types of .22 caliber rimfire ammo and are legal only for taking woodchuck (ammo restrictions, page 66), raccoon and opossum with hounds (.22 shorts only) plus coyote and fox (ammo restrictions, page 62). NO rifle woodchuck hunting on wildlife management areas or state parks, forests and recreation areas.

Also, from page 74, Wildlife Management Area Regulations...

For coyote and fox hunting: the use of .22 caliber rimfire and up to .25 caliber centerfire rifle ammo is allowed on WMAs. See Coyote/Fox ammo cart on page 62 for additional restrictions...Rifles allowed for coyote and fox hunting are permitted for use on WMAs.

For coyote and fox hunting: the use of .22 caliber rimfire and up to .25 caliber centerfire rifle ammo is allowed on WMAs. See Coyote/Fox ammo cart on page 62 for additional restrictions...Rifles allowed for coyote and fox hunting are permitted for use on WMAs.

Will bring a new reflection on the 450' rule.

How soon before this story appears?

"A long-time resident living on Shotwell Road in Fredon Township called police in a panic this morning when she looked out her living room window into the Whittingham wildlife management area and saw two men in the WMA parking lot dressed in camouflage, carrying what appeared to be assault rifles, into the woods. Local police and NJSP SWAT were dispatched to the scene only to discover than the two hunters, local residents and brothers, Hiram & Bobby Lee, were out hunting on the first day of coyote season. Mrs. Kravitz, the woman who placed the call, had this to say; "When I saw those guns I got scared. I've never seen hunters carry guns like that here in New Jersey so I figured I better call the police."

NeighborMrsKravitz2.jpg

Actually, I should give the folks on Shotwell Road more credit, most see hunters every day and never say anything.

Will bring a new reflection on the 450' rule.

How soon before this story appears?

"A long-time resident living on Shotwell Road in Fredon Township called police in a panic this morning when she looked out her living room window into the Whittingham wildlife management area and saw two men in the WMA parking lot dressed in camouflage, carrying what appeared to be assault rifles, into the woods. Local police and NJSP SWAT were dispatched to the scene only to discover than the two hunters, local residents and brothers, Hiram & Bobby Lee, were out hunting on the first day of coyote season. Mrs. Kravitz, the woman who placed the call, had this to say; "When I saw those guns I got scared. I've never seen hunters carry guns like that here in New Jersey so I figured I better call the police."

NeighborMrsKravitz2.jpg

Actually, I should give the folks on Shotwell Road more credit, most see hunters every day and never say anything.

It will happen. This year I will use a bolt gun

Confirmed !!!!!!!!

17HMR, 22WMR

22-250, 223, 243 and 25-06

No FMJ ????

WTF  !!!!! ;)

FMJ's offer substandard performance on game for hunting when compared to soft point or hollowpoint bullets.