Sign in to follow this  
SmartAss

.223 ftf but fired

Wow ... If you have a set of calipers...I'd be curious as to the case length

Case length measured to 1.749...

I have checked most of the rest of the lot and no high primers. I have a case gage and will inspect the the entire lot tomorrow.

What was the gun? An ar should not permit firing that far out of battery.

Exactly my thoughts. First time shooting this rifle so I'm afraid there might be something going on here. What should I check?

BCM 14.5 Complete upper w/ Mod1 comp...

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Standard-14-5-LIGHT-WEIGHT-Upper-Receiver-p/bcm-urg-car-14lw.htm

Windham Weaponry BCG

New Frontier lower with PSA LPK and PSA stock with carbine buffer.

Slam fire, soft or defective primer?

I was shooting very slow - at least 1 - 2 seconds between shots. I distinctly remember pulling the trigger on this particular shot. As far as know, I didn't experience a double.

I would take the bolt apart and make sure that there is absolutely nothing inside that could jam the firing pin.  If the pin is stuck out this could happen as soon as the round clears the extractor and "snaps" into the bolt face.  While I was at it I would thoroughly clean the rifle and check out the chamber really good.  Make sure there is no barrel obstruction from that funky round.

Ken

The fact that the case is bulged at the base and the primer was blown out definitely indicates an out of batter condition. Check the chamber and barrel extension for debris or burrs. Clean thoroughly. Take the BCG out and hand load a round in the chamber. Does it fall right in easily? Fall out easily? Headspaced properly? Check bolt function in the carrier. Does it cycle in and out of the carrier without excessive force? Make sure cam pin is working / installed properly. See that the bolt carrier travels freely and fully in the extension tube. Weight you buffer. It is at least 3.0 ounces? (standard carbine). Proper spring? (11.25" and 39 coils). If you suspect the bolt is "bouncing" when returning to battery then give a heavier buffer a try (H, 3.8 oz.) to slow the bolt down a bit. At a last resort I would check the carrier.do you have a fully shrouded firing pin or and exposed one. Is the firing pin retaining pin straight / OK? Retaining pin tends to fail with exposed firing pins.