5th4x4

Eyes and Ears

You guys crack me up. It's gonna take me forever to dig out from under this pile of options!

But I'm obviously very grateful for that, so thanks for coming thru guys!

Btw JimmyAGR and bhunted, you two had me thinking that I might actually have a non-over the ear solution.... and then you both later admit that your half deef to begin with! Say what??!!!!!  : o

(exactly!!!)

: P

(and now of course I'm really curious as to JimmyAGR's playlist)

Anyway, I'm sure that I'm going to get myself something from within all of these options, so seriously, thanks again. I really do appreciate everyone's contribution.

Back on topic - I was undiscriminating in my eyepro, wearing whatever safety glasses were cheap/at hand until I read this article:

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/eye-protection-shooting-glasses-review/

After reading that I went out and bought some Smith Optics Aegis Arc's and use those exclusively for shooting now.

Back on topic - I was undiscriminating in my eyepro, wearing whatever safety glasses were cheap/at hand until I read this article:

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/eye-protection-shooting-glasses-review/

After reading that I went out and bought some Smith Optics Aegis Arc's and use those exclusively for shooting now.

The accompanying video was quite... uh.... eye opening!

Tested for the 2-way range. Pretty wild.

Those come with (or can come with) different color lenses.

So that brings up this question:

T Bill had mentioned that yellow lenses are good for indoor/overcast. So would the yellow lens be better than simply a clear lens in those type of conditions?

I would assume yes, but I've learned that I don't need to rely on assumptions here; someone will know ; )

Since you guys were so generous with your time and knowledge, I figured that I'd put a bow on this thread and let you guys know what I ended up ordering.

As for "eyepro", I followed T Bill's "Z87" recommendation, along with Buell508's suggestion (and pjd832's follow) and I went with the Jackson Nemesis - in clear, amber, and smoke. I figure that those 3 pair will cover me regardless of light conditions. Plus, it was all less than $25. (which yes... leaves some extra money "for powder", as was wisely pointed out) 

For the ears, I had a tough time choosing between the Peltors and the Howard Leight - and I actually went back and forth (changing the order 3 times!) - before I finally decided to go with the Howard Leight Impact Sport.  

(plus I added some foam plugs as well)

So that concludes (for now, at least) the range safety requirements.

And btw T Bill.... my "thanks dad" comment to you earlier in this thread was intended as a light-hearted term of endearment for your looking out for my well-being - and it was not meant as a mock or a diss - so I hope that you took it that way. Just so y'know. 

Anyway, thanks again guys. I learned a lot from all of you, and then I supplemented that knowledge through quite a bit of internet research based on your recommendations. I honestly wouldn't have known where to even start without you guys, and that's a fact Jack!!!

For anyone who finds this thread - if you have vision insurance through your job, look into using your coverage to get frames. I got prescription eye protection with transitions for a $50 copay; if you carry insurance, might as well use it. You can also find frames on the Internet and have an eye DR put in tinted plastic lenses on your insurance. Plenty of threads here - good luck with it.

Ears:

I use Peltor ComTacs for general range use, indoors and out.

I have 2 sets of MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X headsets (one over the top, one behind the neck) with mics and comms leads for work.

Eyes:

I have 2 pairs of Oakley Ballistic M Frames 2.0 with different lens tint options for general range and work use.

I also have some Revision goggles (I forget which model) for when goggles are indicated.

Make sure that any eyepro you wear is ballistically rated. Look up the military standard here and make sure what you choose applies and passes.

For ears, I use the same as Hickok45 because I wanna be like him when I get older, hahaha and it works great.

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-QB2HYG-1-Quiet-Canada/dp/B000LC63XU

I have 2 electronic muffs but they don't really work well with me when I have safety glasses on. But the wife likes them.

As for glasses, Wiley X affordable ones and remington shooting glasses all under $30