stagehand632

Overheard at Ramsey's

I happened to stop by Ramsey's in Roxbury yesterday and while I was still debating about buying a GSG-522 I overhear a conversation. An older gentleman came in asking to buy handgun ammo. The clerk said no problem just need to see you NJ firearms ID card. He looked a little perplexed said ok and pulled out his PA driver license. The clerk politely explained you need a NJ firearms ID to buy handgun ammo in NJ. It never occurred to me that some from outside NJ gets screwed by our law of having a firearms id as well. It was just one of those eye opening reminders of our crazy gun laws in NJ.

Member NJ2AS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Was at Dicks yesterday and they refused a NY guy .380 because he didnt have a NJ ID card. Says it was store policy. I asked if itwas actual law and said didnt know. I dont know either.

a place refused to sell .45 to a friend of mine because his NY license isn't good here

.380acp definitely (imho) qualifies as "Handgun ammunition" as defined below.

The sale prohibition may be Dick's store policy, but it's also the law, effective April 1, 2008

C.2C:58-3.3 “Handgun ammunition” defined; sale, purchase, etc., regulated; violation,
fourth degree crime.
1. a. As used in this act, “handgun ammunition” means ammunition specifically designed
to be used only in a handgun. “Handgun ammunition” shall not include blank ammunition,
air gun pellets, flare gun ammunition, nail gun ammunition, paint ball ammunition, or any
non-fixed ammunition.
b. No person shall sell, give, transfer, assign or otherwise dispose of, or receive,
purchase, or otherwise acquire handgun ammunition unless the purchaser, assignee, donee,
receiver or holder is licensed as a manufacturer, wholesaler, or dealer under this chapter or is
the holder of and possesses a valid firearms purchaser identification card, a valid copy of a
permit to purchase a handgun, or a valid permit to carry a handgun and first exhibits such
card or permit to the seller, donor, transferor or assignor.

I have a N.J permit to carry a handgun but no firearms id card and Dicks refuses to sell me ammo.The clerk said its store policy only to sell ammo with a firearms I'd card. You can't make this stuff up.

Sue them for discrimination, as you are a member of "The Blessed Few"

I have a N.J permit to carry a handgun but no firearms id card and Dicks refuses to sell me ammo.The clerk said its store policy only to sell ammo with a firearms I'd card. You can't make this stuff up.

Interesting...curious, how do you purchase your firearms?

And if the older gentlemen from PA had the handgun in his car, unloaded and locked up in the trunk, he's a felon in NJ too.

I must not fully understand the law...I didnt know this was the case...as long as it met nj mag restriction and was otherwise legal ...I thought that if the posession of the item was legal at point of origin and destination and transported accordingly it was ok?

I must not fully understand the law...I didnt know this was the case...as long as it met nj mag restriction and was otherwise legal ...I thought that if the posession of the item was legal at point of origin and destination and transported accordingly it was ok?

He's banking on the federal inter-state transport laws...he has to be legal to possess where he starts, and legal to possess at his destination (as well as having it properly wrapped/packaged/unloaded/inaccessible).  Spending the week visiting his NJ grandkids puts him in a pickle...

He's banking on the federal inter-state transport laws...he has to be legal to possess where he starts, and legal to possess at his destination (as well as having it properly wrapped/packaged/unloaded/inaccessible).  Spending the week visiting his NJ grandkids puts him in a pickle...

Ohh I missed the visiting for a week part I just took as he left pa went to gun store and from gun store to range which would be legal..correct?

Ohh I missed the visiting for a week part I just took as he left pa went to gun store and from gun store to range which would be legal..correct?

I do not think so. Technically he would only be allowed to travel directly to an back from the range, which means him stopping at the store would be illegal as far as NJ's laws go. And since his destination was NJ he is not protected by federal interstate transportation laws. Even if he was heading up to NY stopping in NJ to go shopping while transporting a firearm, the federal transportation laws would not protect you any more. 

I do not think so. Technically he would only be allowed to travel directly to an back from the range, which means him stopping at the store would be illegal as far as NJ's laws go. And since his destination was NJ he is not protected by federal interstate transportation laws. Even if he was heading up to NY stopping in NJ to go shopping while transporting a firearm, the federal transportation laws would not protect you any more.

But in theory... I thought a gun shop was an exempted locations so home to gun shop legal... Then gun shop to range legal .....then range to home legal (not sure that was/wasnt what the person in op was doing) ...and fopa covers the crossing of state lines...as long as transporting accordingly and legal at place of origin and destination ... Whether its one state to another or passing through 7 states

snapback.png

But in theory... I thought a gun shop was an exempted locations so home to gun shop legal... Then gun shop to range legal .....then range to home legal (not sure that was/wasnt what the person in op was doing) ...and fopa covers the crossing of state lines...as long as transporting accordingly and legal at place of origin and destination ... Whether its one state to another or passing through 7 states

And all of the above is why I would advise anyone transporting a firearm to avoid New Jersey.  

And all of the above is why I would advise anyone transporting a firearm to avoid New Jersey.  

agreed....im working on becoming part of the exodus from this god forsaken state...so i can live like an american citizen not a servant of the ruling class

I forgot to take that into consideration, so it may actually be legal. Though I would not be surprised that if they wanted, the police could argue he left the firearm in his car in the parking lot, and the parking lot is not a gun shop so therefore his destination was not one of the exemptions. I mean it would be a massive dick move to do, but this is NJ and the state thinks we are criminals in the making.

Since he stopped at Dicks, Federal FOPA does not apply.  NJ Law applies and he can't legally possess at Dicks unless he is having his gun worked on at Dicks.

NJAC 2C:39-6(e).  Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location.

I thought it ramseys was an actual gun shop (I'm not familiar never been to one) I'm on a phone and the statues are bookmarked on my tablet...but I believed fopa applied from point of origin to final destination...lets say traveler enters nj on cape may lewes ferry and final destination wantage nj....does fopa not provide him the ability to stop for gas/food/bathroom/ammo as long as its transported as per fopa law?.....I know fopa does not apply to in state transport ...but until reaching final destination isnt one still considered traveling?

I am really only guessing but probably not considering that in practice FOPA means almost nothing. There are plenty of stories where a person is going to fly across country but their flight leaves from some place like JFK, and they get arrested even though they are transporting it correctly, and the firearm is legal both in there starting destination and their final destination.

All more the reason if you get pulled over while transporting a firearm never tell them you have one or depending on which type of cop you get, will be like opening Pandora's Box. Just keep your mouth shut and both ands on the wheel.

All more the reason if you get pulled over while transporting a firearm never tell them you have one or depending on which type of cop you get, will be like opening Pandora's Box. Just keep your mouth shut and both ands on the wheel.

+5000