NJSigfan

Frustrated and getting discouraged

So today I tried to load up 25 rounds of 225 grain extreme copper plated flat point bullets For a range trip tomorrow and they just wont seat in the gauge checker or the barrel of my SA 5.25 .45acp

I'm using a Lee loadmaster and loaded 100 rounds of 200grain SWC rounds with ease after getting the press and dies set correct

I loaded two test rounds and they just won't seat flush. I've seated the bullet to 1.220 inches which the minimum OAL. The crimp was done with a Lee carbide crimp die and it leaves a nice 90degree shoulder.

I'm using once fired federal large pistol primer brass that I bought new and kept from a previous range session. The brass has been tumbled cleaned and has Hornady one shot lube Applied for good measure. I'm using CCI primers and unique powder set to 5.1 grains.

All the brass has been checked to be at or less than the maximum case length Suggested for .45acp

Brass measures as follows. .469at the base, .469 in the middle and .470 at the mouth of the brass once the bullet has been inserted.

And now the round won't sit flush. The brass fit without any issue prior to the powder and bullet being inserted. So What's gives? I'm getting frustrated and discouraged with reloading. Help me out!!

Make sure your sizing die is as low as it will go so it'll properly size.

Why 1.22 ?

a 90 degree lip on the crimp? taper crimp ? that sounds excessive. Give it enough to get rid of the belling, and that  it holds the bullet firmly in place. 

I went to book store today and pulled few different loads from a few various books

From what I can tell my decap and sizing die are at the correct length since the last reloads fit with no issues.

And yes, crimp die but I'm not sure what you mean by excessive?

Round nose flat point? I tried that at one point and had to seat them waaaaay short to get them to chamber. I think they were Xtreme brand.

The flat point meplat pushed the radius of the "round nose" so far out that it would touch the rifling far too early for my tastes. I gave up on those bullets.

I also have a gov't Springfield so you'll either have to go shorter or find new bullets.

I went to book store today and pulled few different loads from a few various books

From what I can tell my decap and sizing die are at the correct length since the last reloads fit with no issues.

And yes, crimp die but I'm not sure what you mean by excessive?

What do you mean the correct length of the die? The die is to be seated as low as possible - set it as low as it'll go without hitting the shell plate.

all the taper crimp is supposed to do is eliminate the bell you made to insert the bullet, you shouldnt be making a 90 degree bend on the top rim of the case.

What do you mean the correct length of the die? The die is to be seated as low as possible - set it as low as it'll go without hitting the shell plate.

all the taper crimp is supposed to do is eliminate the bell you made to insert the bullet, you shouldnt be making a 90 degree bend on the top rim of the case.

Sorry...yes the sizing and decapping die is set to so that it barely touches the shell plate.

And I guess I should expand on my comment. What I meant is that the taper crimp die is not causing the case to deform in anyway...as in too much to crimp to cut or break the plating.

And I just adjusted the depth of the of the seating die to 1.2 and it the round still does sit flush...

It sounds like theres either a problem with the sizing or your bullet isn't set far enough into the case.

If you measure the finished round right where it crimps what measurenent are you getting? It should be approx the measurement of the bullet plus the case wall thickness twice.

Finished size of round is .470 at the very edge of the case mouth

I do think I found the issue. I need to load another test round verify but it seems that the bullet is getting a slight deformity or wave to it. I'll get a picture up once I get my kids to bed...

post-5197-0-14871200-1377431264_thumb.jpgpost-5197-0-95963400-1377431272_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pics. iPad never really took decent pics..

Anyway, you can see the subtle line or "crease" that was put on the first two test rounds.

I've since then adjusted the bullet set die and taper crimp and the rounds now all sit flush in the chamber check gauge and barrel.

Thank you for the help and continued willingness to inform a reloading newb.

I hope you are not using the sample bullet in the backround of your pic as a guide.  They look like swc not flat points.  They will need a different oal length.  Do a plunk test with your barrel to get the right oal.

I hope you are not using the sample bullet in the backround of your pic as a guide.  They look like swc not flat points.  They will need a different oal length.  Do a plunk test with your barrel to get the right oal.

Hey Tuna,

Lol, no. Those are the test rounds from when I loaded SWC rounds but thanks for looking out for this newb. Plunks test was successful. 25 Rounds fit flush in the gauge checker and barrel.

Using the Berrys 9mm HBFP as an example,  the STANDARD oal is 1.169 for most RN.  I had to seat these flat points to 1.106.  They hit the lands at 1.110 so I knocked off a few thou and now they are good.  The profile on flat points is sure to hit earlier than RN or SWC.