NJKen

Looked at a beretta 96A1 opinions wanted

In my travels I stopped at a firearams retailer today and this particular pistol caught my eye.  I am looking at the 40 sw pistol not the 9mm one.  I currently have a springfield xd and I never could hit a dam thing with it.  It is the only pistol I can not master to save my life.  So, I am looking for the good, the bad, and the ugly opinions on this gun.  I dont own and never have owned ant beretta firearms so I am not quite sure what is good and what is bad.  If nobody has anything too bad to say I think my next step is the firearms price request. 

Thanks

Ken

A Beretta 96 Centurian (slightly shorter barrel) was the very 1st pistol I ever owned.  At the same time, my wife bought a Beretta 92FS.  While the gun was accurate and reliable, it felt like it was getting beat up from the .40.  Recoil was snappy and noticeable. While I like the 9X series of pistols, I don't like them in .40.  OTOH, I understand the Brigadere model was introduced sometime in the 90's w/ a beefier slide and this helped tame the recoil a bit.  Don't know if that model is still made.

If you do go this route, I can't recommend a "D" model hammer spring enough.  I dropped one in my wife's 92FS and it greatly helps the DA and slightly lightens the SA.

Thanks,

Ken

Thanks.  From the lack of comments here I am going to assume this is not a popular firearm.  My main reason for staying with a 40 is that I have an ammo supply and reloading supply for it.  Also, 40 seems to be more readilly available than 9mm is in a jam as proven by the ammo shortage.  I think Ill keep searching for a good 40.  I have had absolutist no luck with the XD and am planning on selling it (buyer lined up already).  I know it just does not fit my hands rite and the 92a1 did.  I have not invested a huge amount of time in my search yet though.  Any recommendations?

Ken

I'm a .40 caliber supporter. all of my modern handguns but one (gotta have at least one 9mm ... and it has to be glock ) are .40s

never got into 9Xs series , it just doesn't fit my hands right.

so here I'm gonna tell u two magic words that will make all ur doubts disappear >>> Sig Sauer...

wait ! stop ! just say it out loud >> Sig Sauer ...

now go pick one up ... u will never put it down :)

my favorite .40 is P226 with SRT trigger

there are plenty of people who absolutely love the feel of the berettas..  i dont own one, but i dont know of many who have one who don't love it..  and from everything i've heard, shooting it is pretty easy to be accurate..  my 2¢ even though its only about 1¢..  lol

I have the 92A1 (the 9mm brother of the 96A1) and love it. Great pistol and not a single failure in over 1,500 rounds.  With that said, I hate the .40 round... I don't like its snappiness.  I've shot a bunch of pistols in .40 and didn't enjoy shooting any of them.  That's why all my pistols are either 9mm or .45

Thanks.  From the lack of comments here I am going to assume this is not a popular firearm.  My main reason for staying with a 40 is that I have an ammo supply and reloading supply for it.  Also, 40 seems to be more readilly available than 9mm is in a jam as proven by the ammo shortage.  I think Ill keep searching for a good 40.  I have had absolutist no luck with the XD and am planning on selling it (buyer lined up already).  I know it just does not fit my hands rite and the 92a1 did.  I have not invested a huge amount of time in my search yet though.  Any recommendations?

Ken

Some recommendations for .40

As TukTuk mentioned, Sigs are excellent.  I have an M&P40 that really abates the snappy recoil nicely.  Also, HK's offerings are excellent as well.  Personally, not really a huge fan of pre Gen4 Glock .40's.

Thanks.  From the lack of comments here I am going to assume this is not a popular firearm.

I'm not familiar with the 96.  I do own a 92FS and love it.  At some point I'll change out the D spring like just about everyone has been telling me to do.

I don't own anything in 40 either but plenty of people shoot the round.  I went with 9 because it was the least expensive and in the year or so I've collected close to 10,000 pieces of brass and setup a reloading machine based on that caliber, so changing to 40 isn't something I'm going to do anytime soon.

I had a 96FS and sold it, still have the 92FS. If you are using factory ammo the 96FS is pretty snappy, it is an alloy frame, not steel. I bought a CZ75 which tames the loads much better, a much heavier gun. The 96FS never had any issues though, sold it to a forum member, didn't hear anything bad about it from him either. Had the INOX version.

Another forum member on here let me try two different .40 cals one night. I was really good with the one, not so good with the other. Strange how some guns just seem to be a better fit for certain people. They were both plastic guns. One was a PX4, not sure what the other was. Didn't feel any different in my hand, but the target showed which one was better for me.

Ken,

The 96A1 is my first, and only, handgun. I have only fired 300 rounds through it so far. To me, it has about the same kick as a Glock 19 (very nice gun by the way) and less then a Kimber Elite. The 96A1 has the "recoil buffer" which is supposed to tame the "snappiness" of the .40. I have had not one problem shooting Blazer Brass and American Eagle (thanks Rick), both 180 gr. Any accuracy issues are probably due to the shooter. It fits my hand well and is nicely balanced, weight-wise. I am very satisfied with it so far.

Thanks for the input all.  I think I am giong to pick this gun up.  It just fits my hand too good.  I think that is my problem with the XD, it never felt comfortable.  When I purchased it I just didnt know better.  I found a friend who has a friend who has a 96A1 that I can take a few shots with.  If it works out good its a done deal. The snappy 40 is no problem for me.  I have actually come up with a few nice mellow yet consistant loads for it. 

Ken

Hey, where is Rosie? He would normally want to know why we like shooting the .40 Short and Weak so much? He wants the full 10mm experience! My S&W 610 is a real 10mm revolver but I usually use .40 S&W in it, and in my case, it is truly custom-loaded Short and Weak!

Thanks for the input all.  I think I am giong to pick this gun up.  It just fits my hand too good.  I think that is my problem with the XD, it never felt comfortable.  When I purchased it I just didnt know better.  I found a friend who has a friend who has a 96A1 that I can take a few shots with.  If it works out good its a done deal. The snappy 40 is no problem for me.  I have actually come up with a few nice mellow yet consistant loads for it. 

Ken

Don't know why people complain about snappiness.  I happen to appreciate the recoil I get, given the price of ammo these days.  The more recoil & louder bang, the better.