Jag07

Hello from Mahwah

Finally getting around to the intro. I've been trolling round the forum for a few weeks now and started a few topics that have been met with great replies and better advice.

I'm new to firearms. Only ever shot a 22 rifle and a 12 gauge at some clay targets, poorly, haha.

I'm looking to get started with a 45 cal in either a 1911 format or a FNH fnx, started a poll and topic if you are interested in giving some feedback.

As the title says I'm from Mahwah and have been for almost 20 years. Soon I will have to make a move for work and will sorely miss the hills, trees and people from the area. Plus seeing NYC from 17 on the way to work isn't so bad.

I hope to be updating soon about my license finally coming in and making my first purchase. I also hope to be part of the community for a long time and possibly come across a few of you at the range.

Another Mahwah native nice.

How have your experiences been with getting your licenses etc?

Is there a closer range for public use other than the one in woodland park that you know of? I hear there is a range in ridge wood but it is private.

My FID took 57 days to come in. I applied mid April and got it June 5th.  After 30 days I started going into the police station twice per week asking about it. They were always very nice about it and it seemed like they werent the ones slowing down the process.

I have only gone to the PA state game lands and Maryland ranges so far.

Plus seeing NYC from 17 on the way to work isn't so bad.

That really is an incredible view. Especially from that far of a distance from the city. 

So anyway..... when you say that you're moving, I assume that you must mean within the state.

I'm sorry that you aren't escaping, but Welcome from a low-lander no-view Bergen guy.

Welcome from another Bergenite.

If you want to see a great view of NYC, go through the Ramapo Reservation and hike up to the Yellow Trail above Bear Swamp Lake and head to the lookout at Ilgenstein Rock. The view is great.

Welcome from South Jersey! BTW where in the hell did the name Mahwah come from? Is it another Indian name?

A lot of towns in Bergen County have some sort of link that is Indian in nature, Mahwah included.

http://www.dutchdoorgenealogy.com/bergen_county_new_jersey_municipalities.html

Welcome from another Bergenite.

If you want to see a great view of NYC, go through the Ramapo Reservation and hike up to the Yellow Trail above Bear Swamp Lake and head to the lookout at Ilgenstein Rock. The view is great.

I've peed off the top of that rock before. Its an Indian name.

I am going to have to give that hike a try. I've got some time on my hands.

I may be moving out of state for work. I'm in med school and will be starting a residency soon. I can rank where I want to go but I am ultimately at the mercy of the programs as to where I will actually end up. So I will more than likely have to figure out the moving issue. Oh boy.