Eff P

Firing guns in Pennsylvania.

Okay, so here's my question since I can't find anything on the forums or via Google:

My buddy's family owns a lot of property in Pennsylvania.  There are no neighbors in a 500 yard radius.  I would imagine it would be legal for us to bring our guns and go shooting on his property.  It's not as if we would be shooting into an open field either.  There will be a back stop since the way the property is, there is a giant incline there.  I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with bringing guns into America and shooting "not at a range".  He's currently checking with the local PD as to an ordinance, but we're also not sure if they bs the way SOME PDs (P2P issues)  do here.

Also, second question: How about bringing them off the property and shooting them into the woods (not his property)?  Is that allowed?

I know a lot of people here aren't lawyers, but if the consensus is NO, then I'll take that as a no.  Thanks!

EDIT:  Damascus, Wayne County is where we'll be.  Also, there are no ordinances against discharges listed on their website or with the county.  

The thing that worries me is that all of us are residents of NJ.  None of us have any sort of hunting permits or PA licences (Open carry is still legal to us).

Does the town have a no discharge ordinance? I would think that is the key.

Agreed.  The state might not have a problem with it (I don't have the definitive answer there), but local ordinances are much more likely to be an issue.   If allowed, you'll still need to check into setback restrictions that may exist (from property lines, occupied dwellings, etc).   It's well worth looking into, though. PA is rather more sane about such things than NJ. 

Off the property, many states (I don't have PA-specific info) will require you to have a  hunting license even for plinking, and of course you'd want permission from the owner, or certainty that shooting is allowed if it's public land. 

I dont see any reason why your friend and you could not target practice on private property as long as there is no ordinance against discharge.

I used to live in Bucks county and would shoot on private property all the time. Not once was there ever a problem. I would however make sure

that the back stop is ample enough to keep any bullets from traveling anywhere else that could hit something or someone.

As a Nj resident you  are allowed to transport guns into Pa and as long as you have the property owners permission (which you do) you can shoot.

I would ask the neighbors first,  500 feet is not far from their property line, and they might not like all the noise.   As for taking the guns in the woods,  that might be considered poaching, if you are out of season, and don't have a valid hunting license....But, first I would check with the local PD for any laws prohibiting firearm discharge.

Target shooting shouldn't be a problem if you're on your buddy's property and there is no law prohibiting discharging in that area.

Wandering around the woods with loaded firearms is considered hunting in most states (I believe PA included), and if you don't have a license, are out of season, not using the correct firearm, not wearing orange or enough orange you could be setting yourself up for some expensive tickets if you run into a game warden.

Does the town have a no discharge ordinance? I would think that is the key.

There is only one town in PA and this aint it.

Cities usually have ordinances, boroughs sometimes do, and townships usually don't.

Asking police may be helpful or it may not be. You are going to have to check the ordinances yourself. Whatever they tell you, yes or no, could be bs and provides no legal cover. However, this isn't Jersey, and you probably won't go to jail.

A hunting license has nothing to do with anything except hunting. Except for PA Public State Game Land Ranges - you need a hunting license or a range permit now to shoot at them.

Although ordinances may vary, distance from houses usually doesn't matter. That's hunting regs.

Basically, you can shoot anywhere except where you are not allowed to shoot. Not vice-versa.

Shooting on property not yours - that is Trespassing if you don't have permission. Trespassing does not require a sign, but a trespassing sign MIGHT contribute to Defiant Trespassing. It will be situationally dependent how bad you might get jacked up. I have personally confronted armed trespassers at gunpoint with associates of mine on their properties. All but one of the people we confronted were from out of state. Once was a mother and father with young children planning target practice with guns not allowed in their state. We let them all go but it hasn't always gone that way when I wasn't there. It's something that seems to really piss people off in PA. I'm assuming it's the heritage of defending your property rights - adverse possession, acquired right of ways, etc. Some of my friends say that, some seem to understand it vaguely and simply know they have to do it or give up their land rights.

Don't be "that guy."

We shoot on my friends' lot up near Wind Gap.   Similar to what you described.  Rural area, ridge line as backstop.  Never seen a police car outside of the downtown area.  Full auto and everything else imaginable.

Even on July 4th, we were launching some mundane Phantom Fireworks mortar shells, and the neighbor down the road began launching professional grade fireworks.  It was amazing.  Anything goes up there.

We shoot on my friends' lot up near Wind Gap.   Similar to what you described.  Rural area, ridge line as backstop.  Never seen a police car outside of the downtown area.  Full auto and everything else imaginable.

Even on July 4th, we were launching some mundane Phantom Fireworks mortar shells, and the neighbor down the road began launching professional grade fireworks.  It was amazing.  Anything goes up there.

Wow, no kidding..

I got back, and boy was that fun.  It really is nice to be in an area where you're not looked at like some kind of nut.  I was kind of nervous going up there, since well...I've never done that before and we live in a state where I'd be a felon (probably) for doing so.  

I need to get the hell out of NJ.  I can vote all I want for pro-gun legislators, but you can't change the culture.  

Side note:  Open carrying in town was kind of cool too.  EVERYONE does it.

Is there a house on the property at all? I've been thinking about how expensive it would be buying a few of acres somewhere in PA in the middle of nowhere just to go out there and shoot.

There are people in the area that do only own land.  My buddy's family bought 17 acres in the 70s for something to the tune of 20k.  This includes a large open field, a pond, woods, and a stream.  They built the house themselves and the barn later on.  Apparently the building restrictions are lax over there (compared with NJ).  I'd do it if I were you.  If you hunt, you can set up perches for deer season, or set up a range on your land if you want.  There's plenty of properties like this available in Wayne County (90 minute or so drive), so if you're mulling the idea, I'd pull the trigger.