manwithnoname

357 lever gun

I'm partial to the Rossi/Braztech M92's in 38/357.

I have had a 20", a 16" large loop, and a 24" octagon barrel, and they've all been sweet shooters.

Friends bought the 20" & 16" from me, but I'm gonna grab another 16" this time with the standard lever loop I prefer.

The 24" octagon rifle I currently have is a real beauty. The weight of the barrel just hangs out there locked onto the target. I took the gun apart and slicked it up via Steve's instructions, and I did a little blending work on the feed ramp where it had a sharp abrupt edge.

The rifle cycles and feeds beautifully, both round nose lead 38's and round nose JHP 357's. By the way, those 357's out of a 24" barrel are zipping along at about 2000fps, which makes it a serious hunting or defensive gun.

I keep drooling over the new Rossi in 45-70. If it had a top eject I would think about it. The Winchester in 45-70 is sweet, but Costa a grand.

Sorry, newb reply, but what is a 45-70. Just sounds painful compared to a 44mag - is it? Do they make it in a 16" carbine? For some reason, I am gaga over short large bore carbines, very sexy.

Sorry, newb reply, but what is a 45-70. Just sounds painful compared to a 44mag - is it? Do they make it in a 16" carbine? For some reason, I am gaga over short large bore carbines, very sexy.

With a .45-70, "you'll run out of shoulder before you run out of gun."

With a .45-70, "you'll run out of shoulder before you run out of gun."

Yikes, I put 24 rounds of .44 mag through my carbine the other day and my right middle finger was sore from the loop kicking against it (shoulder was OK though). Should I be pressing the butt into my shoulder more?

Yikes, I put 24 rounds of .44 mag through my carbine the other day and my right middle finger was sore from the loop kicking against it (shoulder was OK though). Should I be pressing the butt into my shoulder more?

Hot 44 mag is child's play compared to a medium 45-70 load. Forget about hot 45-70 in a light carbine. Ouch.

Hot 44 mag is child's play compared to a medium 45-70 load. Forget about hot 45-70 in a light carbine. Ouch.

Agreed.

38 to 43 ft./lbs. of recoil energy with a 350 gr. bullet launched at 2100fps depending on the weight of the rifle. The 7 lb. Guide Gun can be brutal with hot loads.

I can tolerate the 25 ft./lbs. of recoil energy in my .444 Marlin, which generates a bit more recoil than a standard weight .30-06 if you want to compare it against something. It's still a good shove, but lighter than the .45-70 when it's loaded to its full potential in a lever gun. Marlin's Guide Gun, with its short and ported barrel, is intolerably loud as heck.

The older Marlin's slim buttstock and hard rubber pad make its "bite" worse than it should be.

It looks like the Winchester is the only lever design chambered in 45-70 that has top eject (i didn't check the fancy ones like Chiappa). The Rossi and Marlin both have the side eject. Is this for strength of design reasons? My Rossi 92 has top eject, but that design is for pistol calibers.

It looks like the Winchester is the only lever design chambered in 45-70 that has top eject (i didn't check the fancy ones like Chiappa). The Rossi and Marlin both have the side eject. Is this for strength of design reasons? My Rossi 92 has top eject, but that design is for pistol calibers.

Both systems have their advantages and disadvantages. When telescopic sights came on the scene, the solid-top Marlin was easier to affix mounts and rings. The Winchester's open top necessitated something like a Weaver, Pachmayr or Griffin & Howe sidemount to add a scope.

BTW - The Marlin 1881 was a top-eject and it was the first chambered in .45-70.

http://www.leverguns.com/leverguns/marlin_model_1881.htm