MeanderingCuban

Purchase new gun or keep buying ammo

I decided to post my question in this forum since it seems the most appropriate spot for it.  I've been a firearms owner for about a year now and I'm at a point where I am thinking about purchasing a new higher caliber hand gun for home protection as a backup to my shotgun. For a very long time due to a hand injury I could not fire a higher caliber handgun than a .22lr.  Shotgun wise I feel very comfortable with a 12 gauge.

My home is a single level structure and the bedrooms are located very near each other. In the event of an issue where I believe that someone is in my home (which I hope never happens), I will have very little need to clear my home since the intruder will have to come towards us due to the layout of my house.  To be perfectly honest given NJ's laws nor would I go looking for someone if I heard something in the basement. I would simply let the intruder come toward me or leave.

Here is where I keep going back and forth. Since my shotgun is for home defense and not for clays and my budget is well a tight budget I have to stick to. I am unsure if I should simply take the money I would spend on a handgun and ammo for it or simply stick to what I own now and use my money to purchase additional shotgun ammunition? Sure a new handgun is appealing as I can finally shoot something larger than a .22lr but given that I have a family budget to stick to I'm unsure of which road to take.  Any opinions are appreciated.

If I read your post correctly you own a .22 handgun and a 12ga shotgun.  The shotgun is just fine for HD, just make sure you have suitable HD ammo for it.  Unless you are going to put a whole rig together (based on your budget comment I assume you are not) it doesn't seem practical to me to have a pistol as a "backup" hd gun unless it is to give to your spouse, especially given that you are not going to be running around your house looking for a fight (based on your post).  

If you are on a budget I would buy a good shell holder and light for it if you don't already have one, and keep practicing until you are damn good with it.  

Since your shotgun is primarily for home defense,a scenario where hopefully 5 to 7 shells should suffice to address most single crisis, how much ammo do you believe you'll need over the life of the gun?

I would start saving for a handgun,ammo and accessories after I'm satisfied that I have enough shells in a verity of configurations and slugs, that way you've covered all your bases protecting your home and family and may have some recreational fun in the future.

I would get another handgun, if you have more than one room you will be in, you will be able to get to a second hand gun quicker, having one towards the fornt of your house and another towards the back, plus a hand gun is smaller and can be hidden a little better than a shotgun... Have all your bases covered. Oh there are plenty of reliable affordable guns if you look around...

I would get another handgun, if you have more than one room you will be in, you will be able to get to a second hand gun quicker, having one towards the fornt of your house and another towards the back, plus a hand gun is smaller and can be hidden a little better than a shotgun... Have all your bases covered. Oh there are plenty of reliable affordable guns if you look around...

If the user posting is on a budget and also has a family, how will he purchase 2 handguns, 2 quick draw safes (to keep the guns secure from children), and HD ammo?  His one shotgun (assuming he has an HD shotgun setup) + side saddle of another 8 rounds should be more than sufficient to clear a house.  Reloadng the shotgun would arguably take less time then getting a pistol out of a biometric safe in the dark in another room, especially with practice.  

If money is no object I'm going full on Tony Soprano with guns in the column of every room lol, but if on a budget a well equipped shotgun is hard to beat.  

If the user posting is on a budget and also has a family, how will he purchase 2 handguns, 2 quick draw safes (to keep the guns secure from children), and HD ammo?  His one shotgun (assuming he has an HD shotgun setup) + side saddle of another 8 rounds should be more than sufficient to clear a house.  Reloadng the shotgun would arguably take less time then getting a pistol out of a biometric safe in the dark in another room, especially with practice.  

If money is no object I'm going full on Tony Soprano with guns in the column of every room lol, but if on a budget a well equipped shotgun is hard to beat.  

I'm with you on that one Blake.  The mitigating factor is of course the money.  Further consideration is needed if one aspires to become a very good shooter or a "marksman".

Then the prices go way off the charts for the guns and ammo.  No more reloads or target ammo, high quality stuff.....

I decided to post my question in this forum since it seems the most appropriate spot for it.  I've been a firearms owner for about a year now and I'm at a point where I am thinking about purchasing a new higher caliber hand gun for home protection as a backup to my shotgun. For a very long time due to a hand injury I could not fire a higher caliber handgun than a .22lr.  Shotgun wise I feel very comfortable with a 12 gauge.

My home is a single level structure and the bedrooms are located very near each other. In the event of an issue where I believe that someone is in my home (which I hope never happens), I will have very little need to clear my home since the intruder will have to come towards us due to the layout of my house.  To be perfectly honest given NJ's laws nor would I go looking for someone if I heard something in the basement. I would simply let the intruder come toward me or leave.

Here is where I keep going back and forth. Since my shotgun is for home defense and not for clays and my budget is well a tight budget I have to stick to. I am unsure if I should simply take the money I would spend on a handgun and ammo for it or simply stick to what I own now and use my money to purchase additional shotgun ammunition? Sure a new handgun is appealing as I can finally shoot something larger than a .22lr but given that I have a family budget to stick to I'm unsure of which road to take.  Any opinions are appreciated.

I'll be happy to help you out. I can easily hook you up with a reliable pistol in any common caliber for under $200. :)

+1...unless you move that sg around with all day, buy another pistol. pistol is much more mobal...i would't count on a 22 for PD...9mm at the minimum; 40 better, 45 even better.

Neither of the above.  If a shotgun is your primary home defense weapon and you are wondering how to spend your limited remaining budget, then the answer is a defensive shotgun course from MDTS or a similarly qualified instructor.

https://mdtstraining.com/services.htm

+1

If you're not into shooting as a firm of recreation, keep the shotgun. Spend the money on training and ammo.

?  1000 rnds for home HD,  I would like to see a pic of your house..

Not much to look at.....I live in Newark. You figure you have enough to practice, trade, train with and then for defense. Then you restock. Also helps during an ammo shortage.