Sign in to follow this  
cold shot

686 SSR - Is it possible to get a longer barrel for this model ?

I have a S&W 686 SSR and wondering if it is possible to get a longer barrel for this. Also, I kind of like the "classic" look such as the 629 classic barrel.

Is it possible ? If not, reluctantly, I may have to part with my 686 SSR(4" barrel) and look for either another 686 with probably a 5" or longer barrel, or another Smith Revolver model altogether.

Ed

The barrel that would fit on your SSR would be one from a standard 686, made in various lengths since 1981. An N-Frame (627 and variants) barrel would not fit. But I have to ask why would you spend the extra money for the SSR configuration in the first place, and then want to spend even more, just to make it like a standard model?

The SSR was configured specifically to compete in IDPA's SSR (Stock Service Revolver) Division. Revolver barrel length in IDPA is limited to 4.2". While the SSR is less muzzle heavy than a standard 686, that translates to quicker target transition times. Also, be aware that a longer barrel does not make the gun any more accurate (inherent accuracy), but the longer sight radius may make the operator more accurate.

If you truly want to go forward with this I would suggest one of two approaches: 1) Sell the SSR - there is a pretty good demand for this model - and then purchase a 686 in the desired barrel length; or, 2) Have the barrel change done locally. Unless you have an FFL ship the gun back to Smith via USPS (for which they will extract a fee + the postage and insurance), it will cost you upwards of $100 round trip shipping by common carrier. Even going through an FFL it can get spendy for transport. Acquire the barrel and have it done locally.

Either way, I think you are making a mistake. The 586/686 series is one of the most ubiquitous firearms in their line - having the SSR variant makes it just a little bit more special. Maybe try IDPA before going forward - you have the gun for it.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Bob,

Thanks for the info. I know it's a great gun and I bought it because it was from the "Pro" series which to me meant a little better than stock and shoots wonderful but I don't know if I would use a revolver for IDPA (I need to try IDPA first !). I should have thought about it before the purchase but it's water under the bridge now.

Ben,

Will let you know if I sell it, most likely yes than no.

Ed

Bob,

Thanks for the info. I know it's a great gun and I bought it because it was from the "Pro" series which to me meant a little better than stock and shoots wonderful but I don't know if I would use a revolver for IDPA (I need to try IDPA first !). I should have thought about it before the purchase but it's water under the bridge now.

Ben,

Will let you know if I sell it, most likely yes than no.

Ed

In my opinion, don't buy into the whole " pro series / performance center " varieties are better. Mechanically they all work exactly alike. Though, you'll usually find better varieties of revolvers through the performance center that are more desirable