Sign in to follow this  
JoeTK37

.22 Target ammo

All I do is shoot paper at the range with my rimfire rifles and pistol.  Always looking to shoot the tightest groups I'm capable of, so my question is pretty straight forward.  What is your favorite, smallest grouping, target ammo?  And heres the kicker, where do you find it these days?

Thanks, Joe

If the pistol is anything but a Browning Buckmark or Ruger Mark II or III, both of which eat anything, I'd go with CCI minimags. I don't think i've ever seen anyone have trouble with it. It shows up on Gunbot regularly enough but you have to be quick, and it's not too expensive for paper punching.

You could get 22 different responses to this and they'd all be right. .22 rimfires are very particular about the ammunition they like best. Not just from a functional perspective, but "accuracywise". You could have three identically spec'd guns and all three might prefer different ammo. You need to buy one box of each brand you are considering (and are available) and try it through the guns to which gun likes what the best. Good luck in your quest.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Pizza Bob is on the mark with his answer.  You will not only find different rifles like different ammo, you will find different lots of that ammo shoots better or worse.  I try to shoot rimfire bench rest targets.  For two different rifles I have two different brands of ammo. If you want consistency you must use premium ammo.  I have had excellent luck with Lapua Midas Plus in my Thompson Center Benchmark semi-auto. My Cooper bolt action really likes Eley Match. Thankfully that is their second most expensive line. With the less expensive grades like SK jagd Standard Plus or Wolf Match Extra  I can get many good 4 shot groups but almost never five. Always that one stinking flier.  With bulk ammo forget about it. Now then I am talking about real tight groups, less than 1/4 inch at 50 yards with the good stuff.

I use SK Standard plus or Wolf Match Extra for everyday stuff and the others when I get serious.  Wolf rimfire ammo and SK are made by Lapua and are the same stuff.  Not the same as center fire Wolf.

So try to find a variety of good ammo and see what your gun likes.  As to where to find it. These days you have to watch all the sources constantly because when they get it in it can be gone in a matter of hours. For Eley, Lapua, RWS, and other premium brands watch

Bruno Shooters Supply 

Champion's Choice - Home Page

Champion Shooters Supply LLC

Good Shooting Sales and Service Inc

E. Arthur Brown Company Inc - Home Page for eabco.com

.22 Benchrest Supplies - KSS

Right now a few places have Eley Match, Edge and Tenex.

Federal Premium Gold Medal Match is made by RWS and is good. Federal bulk not so good.

Sometimes you can find Remington Eley also good. Plain Remington 22 ammo not so good.

I am always very happy with CCI ammo. Mini Mags are a passion of mine for shooting, I collect as much as I can, but CCI makes so many fine ammos with subtle variations for different uses...I try to maintain a 'balanced and diversified portfolio' of ammo and therefore in addition to both 36gr HP and 40gr RN Mini Mags, I stock plenty of CCI SV Standard Velocity 40gr RN, Velocitators, Segmented Hollow Points, Stingers, etc. etc. even Blazer bricks of 'bulk' because CCI/Blazer 'bulk' is better than alot of brands (Remington and Winchester comes to mind) 'premium' loads.

I used to read amazing things about Wolf Match Target .22LR target loads but I always just stuck to CCI and Federal

All I do is shoot paper at the range with my rimfire rifles and pistol.  Always looking to shoot the tightest groups I'm capable of, so my question is pretty straight forward.  What is your favorite, smallest grouping, target ammo?  And heres the kicker, where do you find it these days?

Thanks, Joe

The old UMB1 from federal. Period. No idea where to get it at the moment. Normally runs about $10-2 a box of 50. 

More palatably priced, I found my guns also liked 711B at only about $3-4 a box. wolf match and some eley stuff I tried shot similar, but cost more. 

I've seen the UMB1 stuf come into stock periodically, but no idea who has any right now, they all seem to be out.