Sign in to follow this  
kc17

Different barracks?

I don't think I've seen/heard this one before.

Mid-June I dropped off application for 2 P2P (already have FID) to NJSP Hamilton (Mercer co) since I do not have local PD. I live in Monmouth county but am only 20min from the Hamilton barracks and in that barracks patrol area. 2 weeks later I get phone call problem with money order and resolve that the next day. Mid-Aug I stop in to ask for status and get the typical Trenton has my application, they will call me when I can pick them up.

Tonight I get a call from one of my two references, he just got a phone call from a trooper out of the Ft Monmouth barracks?!?! He said he had no clue why it came to him. Asked him if he knew me to use drugs, DWI or want to overthrow the govt. (While typing this second reference got same phone call).

So did my app go to Trenton than to FM? If so why and what happens next? I'm also slightly concerned if they call my employer. I switched jobs since I applied. The good part is I now work for the company that owns the company I used to work for. Different HR dept but they should know where I went. When I told this to the trooper in Aug he said no big deal if they had a problem I would be given chance to explain.

So does trooper in Ft Monmouth send back to Trenton? Or is this the end? Does this mean FM will issue the permits or go back to Hamilton?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Amazing. It gets more interesting. According to NJSP website there is no barracks in Ft Monmouth. Troop C (HQ in Hamilton) covers that area. But no physical substation aka barracks there.

I think it's almost time to either make some phone calls or write some letters.

No your app didn't go to Trenton yet. My references were contacted and it ended up being two months later before they made the magical trip to Trenton. If this is your first time dealing with the SP I feel sorry for you. Prepare for a different BS story every time you call.

The investigation is completed on the local level before it is sent off to Trenton.

At Bridgeton Barracks, reference checks and county mental check are done and when they pass, the app is sent to Trenton for the criminal check and approval.   Bridgeton calls references within a few days of dropping off the application then you still wait 4 months for Trenton.

Dwamp...... Which barracks you drop off to? I'm thinking every town/barracks maybe even individual LEO does things differently.

I went through the Red Lion barracks down rt 206, Troopers seemed to be on the ball there but what happens in Trenton is a different story and not in their control. The trooper even shared a laugh with one of my references over the questions, said "hey, I have to ask them".

For my intial i lived in Hamilton twp at the time and i waited 4 months. I lived a mile away from the hamilton NJSP barracks at the time and am glad i didnt have use them. Kinda mad i have to wait another 5 months after getting my initial less than a year ago, especially when i have AR parts waiting for their new home on a receiver.

I also submitted mine to the Hamilton barracks back in early June and my references still have not been contacted.  When I applied they told me to expext a minimum of a 3-4 month delay due to the backlog.

I did a change of address on my FID through the Hamilton barracks last year and it took nearly 6 months.

I'd need to check my notes but I believe I was told to expect 2-3 months.

my barracks told me flat out 5+ months. i really hope/wish its sooner. but anything more than 30 days is a joke, as many towns can get it done in that time. Hell we shouldn't even have this stupid FID crap anyway!

It would be cool if we had a tracking number for our p2p paper work like ups or fedex...probably look like this..

1.9-1-13 9;15 am on dispathches desk

2.9-2-13 10:00 am. on detectives desk

3. 9-2-13 11:30 am in trash can 

4. 9-2-13 3:30 pm  back on detectives desk

5. 9-3-13 8:30 am. in bathroom

6. 9-15-13 8:15 am, in lost and found box.

7. 9-17-13 12:03 am.  dispatch finds app in lost and found box.

8. 9-18-13 6:30 am back on detectives desk.

It would be more like this-

1- 9-1-13 am on dispatcher's desk

2- 10-2-13 am on detectives desk

3- 11-3-13 am in trash can

4- 12-2-13- call from applicant, officer says it is with trenton

5- 2-2-14 call from applicant, officer says it is with firearms unit

6- 3-4-14 - call from applicant officer says it is back in trenton

7 - 4-4-14 call from applicant, officer says don't call us, we will call you when it is ready

8- 7-4-14 call from applicant officer says he will look into it and gat back

9- 9-2-14 call from applicant, officer says he has no paperwork you need to resubmit even though your check cleared

I called after months of waiting and was told its in trenton. I called trenton and was told its been approved but is on hold. I asked if there was a problem and he said "no, we hold all of them, its part of the process." They held it for a month.

I have no idea why it takes me 4 months when others get it back much quicker, or much later. It does not seem right.

I would move out of this state but then I would need to learn how to pump gas, and I don't want to do that.

my barracks told me flat out 5+ months. i really hope/wish its sooner. but anything more than 30 days is a joke, as many towns can get it done in that time. Hell we shouldn't even have this stupid FID crap anyway!

In another section on this forum I posted that my friend has been waiting 4.5 months now and has involved NJSP Internal Affairs, and as of today he filed a complaint with the Attorney Generals office.

He applied 5/15, and the firearms unit didn't receive his paperwork till August 3rd, and as of last week they haven't done anything with it. They called me for his reference on 5/16.

Another guy posted yesterday that he has been waiting 5 months so far.

I waited 4.5 months from December to May.

All through NJSP Woodbine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

In another section on this forum I posted that my friend has been waiting 4.5 months now and has involved NJSP Internal Affairs, and as of today he filed a complaint with the Attorney Generals office.

He applied 5/15, and the firearms unit didn't receive his paperwork till August 3rd, and as of last week they haven't done anything with it. They called me for his reference on 5/16.

Another guy posted yesterday that he has been waiting 5 months so far.

I waited 4.5 months from December to May.

All through NJSP Woodbine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

My friend said he got his permits this morning.  Funny...a call to NJSP Internal Affairs and a call to the Attorney General, and suddenly the permits show up the following day...

Just called the Hamilton NJSP and they told me that my P2P, which I submitted in early June, was sent to the Firearms Investigation Unit for approval on Sept-24 and from there it "normally" takes an additional 30 to 60 days.  So I am most realistically looking at some time in mid to late November for my permits, which will be roght around the 5-6 month time frame.

I stopped in Hamilton Barracks this morning. The Trooper I spoke to was very professional/polite with zero negative attitude/vibe etc... He said it is not uncommon for Ft. Monmouth & Hamilton assignments to overlap, they are considered the same barracks. He had no answer as to why my references were called a month after I was told Trenton had my application. 

With that said he took my DL in the back to see what he could determine. Within just a couple of minutes he came back and said I had just been approved by Division HQ. The next step was for the permits to be interoffice mailed back to Hamilton and I would then be notified by phone I could pick them up. He estimated this to take about a week or two. 

I stopped in Hamilton Barracks this morning. The Trooper I spoke to was very professional/polite with zero negative attitude/vibe etc... He said it is not uncommon for Ft. Monmouth & Hamilton assignments to overlap, they are considered the same barracks. He had no answer as to why my references were called a month after I was told Trenton had my application. 

With that said he took my DL in the back to see what he could determine. Within just a couple of minutes he came back and said I had just been approved by Division HQ. The next step was for the permits to be interoffice mailed back to Hamilton and I would then be notified by phone I could pick them up. He estimated this to take about a week or two. 

It sounds like you are about a month or so ahead of me.

Current status (short version). Stopped in barracks last Friday, given usual answer but also given names of Trooper and Sgt to call "during banker's hours". Called today and was told he doesn't know why I was told I was approved because no one knows that until permit actually comes back from Div HQ. Said I'm not in "his pile" and since I applied in June he estimates within a month.

Get off phone with him and call AG office. She tells me to call Div HQ and ask for firearms bureau. If they are no help call back and she will send me to another dept.

Call Div HQ, after some time I'm told she approved my app yesterday and it is in a pile off 100+ others waiting to go back to the barracks. She estimated I would get a call next week.

When I asked about the differing stories and change of procedure (order) she said it all comes down to manpower. So if the person that does step 4 has more time they will do their part before step 3 then app goes back to step 3.

She said she has an all time low of 165 apps currently on her desk, the numbers have been running in the 600s. And they passed last year's number in June.

Hopefully mine is in the pile of 100 as well, since I also applied in June.  Last time I called on October 4th they said it was "sent to the firearms investigation unit on 9/24 and will typically take another 30 to 60 days from there".

And I will definitely be putting in for another P2P when I pick this one up.

Got the call today permits in.

Go to barracks, in and out in about 5 min with permits in hand.

Go across 130 to Cheyenne's. Wait about 20 min for my number to be called. Told still can't take home the gun I paid for because NICS is closed......election day.

Of course they can not vote before work like anyone else that works past "normal" business hours.

Got the call today permits in.

Go to barracks, in and out in about 5 min with permits in hand.

Go across 130 to Cheyenne's. Wait about 20 min for my number to be called. Told still can't take home the gun I paid for because NICS is closed......election day.

Of course they can not vote before work like anyone else that works past "normal" business hours.

Hopefully I am right behind you, congrats!