AlDente67

Range questions

I have a couple of questions about public ranges (the ones in Lakewood specifically)...

What long guns do they allow?  I've used a .22 at a couple with no issues, but what about 5.56 and/or 12ga shotgun (00 buck or #8 bird)?

Also, I noticed some ranges state "no steel".  I assume that means the casings.  Since I have quite a bit of steel-cased rifle rounds for practice (cheaper!), does that mean I cannot shoot these there?  If not, why not?

My theory is that all of the sweepings of spent casing are not going into the trash.  So the range operator doesn't want to sift through for brass to reload and sell?  I'm just guessing here, so you folks can set the story straight if you don't mind.

Shore Shot is no steel. Centerfire Rifle ammo must be frangible (to save their backstop). Shotguns are allowed. Buckshot only.

It's been a while since I was at Brick Armory, but I believe steel cased ammo is OK and so is any rifle caliber. Buckshot only though.

.223 frangibles only, they have them but they're expensive

12g slugs only

You're correct on the casings

Maybe Buckshot is members only at Shore Shot, or they have a new policy. I have shot buck there many times.

From what I've experienced in numerous ranges, .22 rifles are welcome, even in "pistol only" ports.

I don't think I've been to a range that doesn't allow .223/5.56.

The only range that had issues with shotguns was Shore Shot, I believe they said they only allow members to shoot 12g and even then they only allow buck shot.

I believe your theory is correct about the collection of spent casings but there could also be other reasons. Some ranges don't allow steel CORE ammo because it damages their backstop. I heard some don't allow steel cased ammo because of the sparks it generates which could cause unburned powder to spark which could cause a fire (I think Bullet Hole said this)

Maybe Buckshot is members only at Shore Shot, or they have a new policy. I have shot buck there many times.

Can't recall ever seeing buckshot there, few weeks back some tool was shooting birdshot before I got there, I ended up at the port he had been at. When the RO saw me changing the cardboard he checked what I had ( no shotguns ) then shook his head, apparently whoever was there before him missed it

I believe your theory is correct about the collection of spent casings but there could also be other reasons. Some ranges don't allow steel CORE ammo because it damages their backstop. I heard some don't allow steel cased ammo because of the sparks it generates which could cause unburned powder to spark which could cause a fire (I think Bullet Hole said this)

This only applies to steel core ammo sparking against the backstop and causing a fire, not steel cased ammo.  Not doubting this is what they told you necessarily but if it is, its untrue.  There really is no valid reason not to allow steel cased ammo that I know of safety wise, unless they assume (incorrectly) that all steel cased ammo is also steel core.  However I really suspect that they sell the brass as you've suggested and don't feel like investing in a $5 magnet to sort the casings.

Thanks guys.

One more newbie question...what is the difference between bird shot and buckshot?  I have a case of #8 and a case of 00, and to me, it just appears the the 00 has fewer and much larger pellets (balls, whatever).  If that is the case, I would have assumed the 00 would do more damage to a backstop than the small #8 cartridge, if that was the main driver to the house rules.

Or is it that smaller shot may bounce around the place much more and possibly ricochet back at the folks in the lanes?