Sign in to follow this  
bignic83

Guns confiscated. (Must have had too many)

Not sure where I stand on this story. There has to be more to it. Why would they confiscate all of his firearms yet release him without posting any bail? Could they have jumped to conclusions?

http://gunssavelives.net/news/connecticut-police-seize-citizens-274-guns-because-well-he-had-too-many-guns-hobbies/

http://www.examiner.com/article/retired-chemist-arrested-after-chemicals-found-relating-to-his-rocketry-hobby

Original reports indicate he was initially charged with making bombs.

Police chief Gary Macnamara said that the investigation was prompted after a person from "out of state" asked police to conduct a "welfare check" on Mr. Callahan. After the police conducted the check, they were apparently called back later in the day by Mr. Callahan, who said that there was a burglary in his house.

Macnamara said,

"...during the process of discovering whether or not there was a burglary, our officers observed a significant amount of unidentified chemicals...the resident of the house appeared to be out of sorts in a way and we transported that individual to the hospital so he could be evaluated."

The materials in the house prompted "local, regional, state and federal authorities" to "swarm" the house, as reported Monday by the Courant. Callahan "was charged with 11 counts of illegal possession of explosives, six counts of first-degree reckless endangerment and one count of manufacturing bombs." Leslie Yager of the Patch reported,

"The explosives were described as larger than a firework, with explosive power above an M-80, but below a stick of dynamite."

In one of the very early reports, they said he was acting “agitated”, that coupled with the firearms and they had him sent for an involuntarily mental evaluation. 

He called because he thought he got robbed.  He was then treated like a suspect.  Who wouldn’t be agitated?

274 guns!! This man was prepared for a Red Dawn type scenario. But I can't see them being to worried about him making basically fireworks. Had to be something else with it that they haven't mentioned.

Not necessarily.  Firearms are a hobby for some.  He didn’t really seem like a “prepper”.

Considering the fact that gun and ammo prices never go down (much like everything else), seems like its also a good investment. 

I’m glad he’s challenging it.  I can only guess as to how much of his money they’ve taken in the form of firearms. 

If it's actually the large amount of guns that was the problem then I need to start laying low

Oh snap!  Thats awesome. 

I wouldn’t feel comfortable owning that many guns, or even close to that many guns. 

I think its partially due to the environment that’s been created.  They display 5 or 6 firearms that they’ve confiscated and call it an “arsenal”. 

In Jersey?

Yeah they set him up at a bar in east Greenwich and raided his house in Paulsboro.

He was sitting at the bar talking about selling 1/4 sticks. He didn't realize the guy sitting next to him was undercover looking for drugs in the bar.

http://www.homeland1.com/homeland-security-news/823778-nj-man-arrested-for-alleged-explosives-production-sales/

Oh snap!  Thats awesome. 

I wouldn’t feel comfortable owning that many guns, or even close to that many guns. 

I think its partially due to the environment that’s been created.  They display 5 or 6 firearms that they’ve confiscated and call it an “arsenal”.

That is ridiculous, perhaps you shouldn't feel comfortable owning a dangerous vehicle, either.