HBecwithFn7

In State vs. Out of State?

Sorry folks, just another "newbie" question here. I'm trying to figure out which option is better for me. As a NJ resident, I can choose to purchase my firearms either in NJ or outside NJ (in which case they'd need to be transfered to a NJ FFL for final delivery). For the NJ residents here, which is your preferred option... purchase "in state" or "out of state"?

Example:    I might want to purchase "out of state" if the prices are cheaper. But I also have to consider any fees I

might have to pay to the NJ FFL that receives/completes the transfer from that out of state purchase. Are

there any such fees, and if so, are they normally large enough to nullify any potential cost savings by

purchasing out of state?  I'm assuming that NJ Sales taxes aren't a factor, since one would be

responsible for paying them for either type of puchase If out of state, the "use tax" would still apply, and

more than likely collected, since the NJ FFL has state tax nexus or would likely be pressured by the state

to collect it (not like we're buying "off the Internet")...  

So, overall, do most NJ residents find it better to purchase "in state" or "out of State"?  I'm just trying to figure out how it works here.

Thanks. :)

I think all of us try to support local shops first and if that doesn't pan out, then will look outside the area. Also buying local you can see what your buying first and eventually develop a relationship with local shops.

If you do purchase out of state will will have to pay transfer fees, shipping on top of just NICS.

It all depends on the value of the item youre purchasing. Is shipping and transfer and nics fees much less than if you purchase in state or mot ?

Thank you. So, it basically comes down to "overall" cost.  Then I guess I have a lot of comparison shopping to do, both in and out of state.

What are the going rates for NICS/transfer fees? Are there standards in NJ, or does it vary between FFL?  Feel free to PM if you don't want to reply publicly.

The transfer fees vary by FFL. I've seen everything from $15 to $75 per gun at different shops. I've found that very rarely does buying out of state save you enough to go through all the trouble of doing it.

For example, if you can buy a $500 gun in NJ, you're paying about $550 out the door. If you buy the same gun on Gunbroker for $400, you're paying $20-$30 shipping to a NJ FFL, then a $20-$50 transfer fee, and then the $15 NICS. That $400 gun could easily amount to $500 when it's all said and done. Is that worth the $50 savings? Maybe to some, not to me. Plus it's nice to give local guys the business. I wouldn't buy out of state unless the list price was around half of anything I could find in NJ. Or if it was a long gun that I could leave the store with and bring home without doing the shipping and transfer stuff.

Just my two cents.

Varies by FFL.  There are a couple vendors here with good rates.  Check them out

I will.  Thank you all.   I see some things I like in re: one of the NJGF's "sponsored" partners. Everything's in stock and at reasonable prices. We'll see.

You only have to transfer a handgun if bought out of state. You can go to PA or any other state and buy a long-gun (assuming it's NJ legal) and walk out of the store with it after an instant check. No need for transfer. Transfer rates vary from one FFL to the next. Some are very reasonable and others not so much. I have found good deals in shops and on-lione. You need to decide how much of a savings, if at all, is worth it to you. When I was looking for a S&W 686 I found a great price on-line on a brand new one that local gun shops couldn't touch for a used one.

While you are correct that "Use Tax" would be in effect for firearms purchased out of state and shipped to a NJ FFL for transfer to the buyer, you are incorrect in assuming that the transferring FFL is liable for the collection of that tax. The only tax the transferring FFL is responsible for collecting is the tax on his service & NICS fees - not on the firearm. Use tax is supposed to be paid by the purchaser when they file their state income tax - and you just know that everyone does that :icon_e_wink:

Patronizing your local bricks & mortar gun shop is always a good idea, but realistically, if you want a high demand or oddball item, sometimes you have no choice but to purchase via the Internet. Shop around and compare rates for transfer as these are set by the individual FFL's.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

One thing to keep in mind if  you're considering buying out-of-state from a private seller is that Paypal is anti-gun and doesn't allow firearm transactions, legal or otherwise. So if you get screwed on a transaction that's funded with an existing balance or checking account, you're out of luck and may even get your account locked on top of that. You might still have recourse through your credit card company if funded that way, but I don't have first hand experience there.

One thing to keep in mind if  you're considering buying out-of-state from a private seller is that Paypal is anti-gun and doesn't allow firearm transactions, legal or otherwise. So if you get screwed on a transaction that's funded with an existing balance or checking account, you're out of luck and may even get your account locked on top of that. You might still have recourse through your credit card company if funded that way, but I don't have first hand experience there.

If I'm going to go "out of state," I'd most likely go into a shop so I can look at what I'm getting first. I would not do it all "on-liine." And, besides, Paypal and like services offer too much of a paper trail.  Plus, I want to buy at a place where I can get it serviced easily, if needed.