brocglock23

38 vs 380

So lately I've been debating on getting rid of my S&W Bodyguard 380 and getting some type of 38/357 revolver. I'm not familiar with revolvers so I'm hoping some of you guys that have experience with both would be willing to give me your opinion on this subject.

If you had to choose between the two, which one and why?

Also do you have a model in mind, possibly something easy to conceal.

Totally different animal. The 380s are easily concealable due to their slimmer profile. A revo is always going to be thicker. Don't get me wrong..it's not hard to conceal a snubby 38. They both have their place. Keep the bodyguard and just get a good snubby. See what one you like better and then if you must seek the other. It really is personal preference. 38 ammo is far more plentiful with more options as stated earlier but 380 isn't at all hard to find

The 38, even a target wadcutter in a J frame, will outperform the best 380 loads. I prefer steel J frames. If you want a smaller 357 get at least a 640 S&W or SP101 and even they can be rough to handle with 357s. Conealability is relative to what you wear. My EDC is a S&W 2 1/2" M66 and I could probably carry a 4" most of the time and in the winter I do. What ever you carry, carry a reload.

I have a 380 Bodyguard I carry a a BUG. A 380 may be enough but a 38 is better and there are few things that beat a 357. Many shun revolvers due to limited capacity but maybe 99% of fights can be settled with 5 or 6 shots. A G19 is better for many reasons but a revolver has its own virtues.

I prefer a J-Frame S&W over any 380. I like the concealed hammer lightweights; the 642 and 340. The 642 is a good value; but the even lighter Scandium framed 340 is pretty expensive. The 340 is  chambered in 357; but firing 357 in this superlight gun results in HUGE recoil and makes the gun uncontrollable in a defensive scenario. As GRIZ says, 38 target wadcutter  is a very capable defense round.

340 and 442 Satin Nickel

IMG_2065_zps6458ad42.jpg

So much depends on your style of dress and what you expect out of a handgun.   I've been licensed to carry both in and out of our state.

When I was wearing fatigues I could carry a full sized auto concealed.  Now I'm 5'11" and 170.  Floppy closes help, summer sux.

Back to 38spl vs 380acp. good 380 defense ammo just about equals the 38spl of old.

380's are thinner but I own a LCP and don't carry it because it's 380.

I went and bought a Kahr PM9 just a little bigger but a real 9mm.

Revolvers for me are too wide.

As far as reliability I think its a wash.

Never forget your first shot may be your only shot. and you'll get first shot with either handgun.

So much depends on your style of dress and what you expect out of a handgun.   I've been licensed to carry both in and out of our state.

When I was wearing fatigues I could carry a full sized auto concealed.  Now I'm 5'11" and 170.  Floppy closes help, summer sux.

Back to 38spl vs 380acp. good 380 defense ammo just about equals the 38spl of old.

380's are thinner but I own a LCP and don't carry it because it's 380.

I went and bought a Kahr PM9 just a little bigger but a real 9mm.

Revolvers for me are too wide.

As far as reliability I think its a wash.

Never forget your first shot may be your only shot. and you'll get first shot with either handgun.

The PM9 is my main carry, unfortunately only out of state. I was thinking of using the bg380 or getting a revolver as a B.U.G. I was thinking the simplicity of the 38 revolver might be easier.

The PM9 is my main carry, unfortunately only out of state. I was thinking of using the bg380 or getting a revolver as a B.U.G. I was thinking the simplicity of the 38 revolver might be easier.

I was always told carry the biggest gun you can... and that was 100 years ago by my chief buddy.  If you're serious have one summer gun and one winter gun. I carried a model 36 and found it more comfortable for size and security to carry a Hi Power at the time.  For me it's all about width.

Like I said it's how you dress as well. Damned...I've carried a 25acp when I couldn't carry anything else.  

If you had too I wouldn't rule out a 380.  It will fit in your "banana hammock" better than a J frame.

There are SO many other issues to consider when you talk about your security other than caliber.