NJKen

Redding 460S&W dies suck!

I have been trying to find a set of RCBS or Hornady S&W 460 dies for a while.  I found many sets of redding dies and finally just decided to get them since I had no luck otherwise.  I sized exactly 1 case with it and now it looks like a belted magnum.  The case on the left was sized with an RCBS 45 colt die and the redding on the right..  I should probably have just stuck to the 45 colt dies but the bullet seater and crimper are so high in the press that I worry about them being square.  Also, the redding die sizes the case WAY smaller that the 45colt die does.  The 45colt die gets them rite back to spec for the case.  The redding die takes them almost .005 smaller than spec.

So, the question is this:

Am I doing something wrong with the redding die or do the just tear up cases like this? 

The last thing I want is a stress point by the head of a case that you can load to 65,000 psi. 

Ken

added on edit: 

Both cases are new unfired Hornady brass

post-2884-0-83250400-1382644372_thumb.jpg

Ill post up some measurements tonight.  I would say die was never finished up to proper internal diameter.  Not a good way to have a first time experience with redding.  I will give them them a call and see if they can make good on it before I totally trash em.

Ken

Both the cases in the pic where lubed with a good old fashioned RCBS lube pad and RCBS lube.  The only difference between the cases in the pic is the one on the left was done with an RCBS 45colt sizer and the one on the right was done with a redding 460 case sizer.

Ken

I though that you could use your standard 45 ACP dies for .460 rowland? My conversion should be here in three weeks.

Aide from that I used redding died for my grendel. I found them to be quite good. I bought them because the lee dies were wrecking the brass.

You can use a 45colt/454 cassul die for the 460s&w Magnum.  They are a little bit longer than the 45 colt dies.  The 460 is almost 2 inches long so the colt 45 dies are barely threaded in.  The rowland is just under 1 inch so there should be no problem there.  The 460 also requires one hefty crimp and without the body of the case in the seat/crimp die it could wrinkle the case as I have done to a few of them.  My old colt 45 sizing die is not deep enough to deprime properly without running the decapping pin all the way down but it does a superior job resizing compared to the redding die I got.  I am still waiting on redding.  I sent them an email last thursday.  If I dont get a reply on monday Ill be calling them.

Ken

OK, I gave redding a chance.  They sent me back a die that is FAR WORSE than the piece of crap I sent them.  I have since given up and thrown it out before I destroy any more brass.  The case on the top was resized with a RCBS die.  The one on the botom is sharp as hell where that ridge is.  I dont think they understand the 460 S&W mag at all.  I know there are people here that love redding and all but they dont know crap about the 460.

Ken

WOW --  I would send that piece of bass along with the die back to them and get a full refund -- No way I would accept that

I find it hard to believe that Redding let that happen -- Twice

As I said before -- Redding is my go to die --  I'll buy other brands but the Reddings need to be unavailable or considerably more expensive before I do so

WOW --  I would send that piece of bass along with the die back to them and get a full refund -- No way I would accept that

I find it hard to believe that Redding let that happen -- Twice

As I said before -- Redding is my go to die --  I'll buy other brands but the Reddings need to be unavailable or considerably more expensive before I do so

I dont doubt that.  They may make a fine die otherwise.  They cannot seem to master the 45 colt/454 cassul/ 460 s&w mag die.  Since they are still in business I will assume this is an isolated incident.  They have shown me personally why I will never buy another die set from them though. 

I may send then the die again, the two pieces of brass from the pic, a fired piece of brass, and the BCBS sized piece of brass.  At the moment I am still a little pissed off though.

Ken

It would help if I uploaded the picture!

Ken

I know for a fact that it's chewing that piece of brass up at the bottom because of case bulge you are loading them pretty warm to hot! I used to have the identical problem. Until I swapped case lubes I know you don't wanna hear this but try the colt die first then try the redding die and let us know what happens. Revolver dies are made to be tight because of how tight the cylinder chambers are! Literally there is only a thousandth if that for expansion!

I know for a fact that it's chewing that piece of brass up at the bottom because of case bulge you are loading them pretty warm to hot! I used to have the identical problem. Until I swapped case lubes I know you don't wanna hear this but try the colt die first then try the redding die and let us know what happens. Revolver dies are made to be tight because of how tight the cylinder chambers are! Literally there is only a thousandth if that for expansion!

When I size em with the redding die they rattle in the cylinder.  When sized with the RCBS die they have just a little wiggle and just feel like the fit is better. I dont posses the tools to get an exact measurement so my terminology will have to suffice!  I lubed both pieces of brass in the pic with RCBS caselube 2 and a good old school lube pad. That has always been my go to solution for tricky brass. 

This brass was not really a hot load, I would place it at moderate.  It was 44gn of lilgun under a 240gn XTP-MAG, max is just under 52gn.    They fell out of the cylinder when I opened it and tipped it back.  The first pic I uploaded on post 1 was a brand new piece of brass.  The second pic I uploaded a couple days ago was fired once. 

I just dont know what to do with this die. 

Ken

I found a little more info on this topic I started.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/reloading/246001-help-sizing-460-s-w-brass.html

Apparently this is a problem that redding has.  They told this poster the same thing they told me.  The problem is that if you only size the top 1/3 of the case it still makes that dam ridge.  The ridge will not fit into the cylinder.  I give up.  I can full length size this brass with a five year old, well used RCBS 45colt die but not a new redding.  I will give redding credit for making a great seating die that does make a nice roll crimp and thats it.  I updated the title of this post to reflect my opinions based on the outcome of this nonsense.

Ken