Malsua

OBD2 code readers

I'm in the market for a new scan tool.

I had a pretty good one that I bought a few years back that could do live data and all the freeze frame stuff.   I loaned it out and he lost it but will buy me a new one and thought I might ask around first.

I would like to get one with the ABS functions, but I'm not sure I'd ever use it and it frankly doubles the cost, some of which I'd have to pony up myself.  

I'm looking at the Launch Creader VI and the Actron 9575.        I don't want one where I need to hook up a laptop or use my phone or anything.  I mostly just need to read basic codes.  I don't like the Innova subscription plan thing, so those are out.

Any suggestions?

My uncle and I have an auto x-ray. Really good and you can do live recording and freeze frames.

I'm not sure if you're going to find an OBD reader with ABS for a low price though.

The Actron 9580 and the Launch CRP123 both do ABS, but they don't work for ABS on my Subaru.  Both are about 180-220 depending on where you buy.   I have a Honda and a Dodge they work for ABS on, but again, not sure it's worth me ponying up the extra $75 bucks or so on top of what the other guy will pay.(he's given me a budget of $125 for a replacement)

The Actron 9580 and the Launch CRP123 both do ABS, but they don't work for ABS on my Subaru.  Both are about 180-220 depending on where you buy.   I have a Honda and a Dodge they work for ABS on, but again, not sure it's worth me ponying up the extra $75 bucks or so on top of what the other guy will pay.(he's given me a budget of $125 for a replacement)

Good to know.  I'll have to look into those units.

When we got the scanner about 5-8 years ago, you couldn't find an OBD and ABS reader. 

:facepalm:

Actually, he thinks it was stolen.  He left it on the hood of his car when he had to leave unexpectedly, in the interim, his son took the car out it was sitting on.  It would have been hard to miss as he said it was up near the windshield.  They checked ditches and stuff nearby.  Shrug.  I just looked at it as an opportunity to meet or beat my original reader.  I went ahead and got the Actron 9575.  It does all that the old one did and is updatable...whatever that might mean.  It also logs better than the old one did.

look around for a used MODIS. snap on's going to a new scanner, which is supposed to replace the modis.

i actually have three....a modis, an otc, and a launch. believe me, i need them all, as each does somethingt that the others may not.......