Sign in to follow this  
illy

S&W Model 10. Should I?

Glen:

If the weather holds up, I might finally sign up next week and head out Sunday morning.

-------------------------------

GRIZ: Thanks again. 

I took off the cylinder, crane and side plate off last night, gave a thorough cleaning (without disassembling the guts), frogged it up and put back together....

WOW. The stiff D/A pull (especially on one of the chambers) is now smooth as butter.

glf, others:

Yeah, I couldn't be happier. Can't wait to shoot it.

Glen:

If the weather holds up, I might finally sign up next week and head out Sunday morning.

-------------------------------

GRIZ: Thanks again. 

I took off the cylinder, crane and side plate off last night, gave a thorough cleaning (without disassembling the guts), frogged it up and put back together....

WOW. The stiff D/A pull (especially on one of the chambers) is now smooth as butter.

glf, others:

Yeah, I couldn't be happier. Can't wait to shoot it.

No problem. Glad that i can help.

My first revolver was a 2" Model 10 I bought from a guy in Vietnam for $40 IIRC.

More than once I've gotten a gun that was sitting around for some time and found what I thought to be rust inside.  Its usually dried up oil.  Grease will congeal faster and attract all kinds of gunk.  If you lube with a synthetic like Break Free it doesn't congeal and a drop or two when you clean it keeps the lube fresh.

I hope in about a month or so, I can find a similar deal. I found one the other day, but it was in bad shape and shop wanted $415 OTD. Way too much money.

Thats way too much for an average Model 10.  Rarity of variants (the way I see it) are:

Model 10:  4" HB, 3" HB, 4" pencil barrel,  2", 6", and 5"

Any nickle (not nickel, that's 5 cents) plated gun in good shape is pretty rare.  Before stainless it wasn't just pimps who bought nickle plated guns but guys who had their guns exposed to elements on a regular basis.  A nice nickle plated Model 10 would be worth $400 imo. 

Model 13 and 65:  4"HB, 3" HB.

Good deal as you get a 357.

Model 64: 4" HB, 3" HB, 4" Pencil Barrel (only made in 1972), and 2".

I had a 2" which I let go long ago and still regret it.

That is a great gun congrats.  If you ever come across a model 10 with the the 4" pencil barrel go for it as well, the balance is fantastic.  In my opinion the relatively rare 3" HB k frames and 4" pencil barrels are the best balanced guns in the Smith lineup.  The FBI used to carry the 3" model 13 as it's duty gun during the early 80's.

Any nickle (not nickel, that's 5 cents) plated gun in good shape is pretty rare.  Before stainless it wasn't just pimps who bought nickle plated guns but guys who had their guns exposed to elements on a regular basis.  A nice nickle plated Model 10 would be worth $400 imo. 

Mmmmmmm, GRIZ, no. Nickel is nickel - whether it's the finish or the coin. Both are named for the element from which they are derived - Nickel (Ni on the periodic chart).

I think that while some nickel guns may command a premium above & beyond their blued counterparts - and not all do - it is because there are fewer of them out there, because they weren't very popular when they were being sold new. IIRC, there was no difference in cost between a blued and nickel gun and by far and away, the more popular finish was blued. Also, when new, nickel did resist the elements better, but over time they tend to flake as the plating breaks down, meaning fewer survived. Being plated, this makes them harder to refinish. They are somewhat of a novelty today and Smith is using the finish once again on some of their "Classic" series.

I think we all agree that the OP did great on his purchase.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Mmmmmmm, GRIZ, no. Nickel is nickel - whether it's the finish or the coin. Both are named for the element from which they are derived - Nickel (Ni on the periodic chart).

I think that while some nickel guns may command a premium above & beyond their blued counterparts - and not all do - it is because there are fewer of them out there, because they weren't very popular when they were being sold new. IIRC, there was no difference in cost between a blued and nickel gun and by far and away, the more popular finish was blued. Also, when new, nickel did resist the elements better, but over time they tend to flake as the plating breaks down, meaning fewer survived. Being plated, this makes them harder to refinish. They are somewhat of a novelty today and Smith is using the finish once again on some of their "Classic" series.

I think we all agree that the OP did great on his purchase.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanx Bob, didn't realize it was alternate spelling. Must have been a grammar school teacher who insisted it had to be her way.

You are correct that blue was much more popular. Being harder to refinish, the only way I've seen it done correctly is at the factory.

Thanx for the spelling lesson:)

Congrats-I think you got a good deal on a nice, clean gun.  May you and your family have many wonderful hours with it.  I think it's funny that such a common gun evokes such strong affection from people. 

I'm one of them, too.  I had one hell of a rush of emotions when I first shot my dad's (gone since 1986).  His story was he got it to be a "ringer" on a prison guard shooting team.  Probably not true, but a nice dinner table tale.  I love the super smooth trigger pull and all the clicks of its mechanical action...slightly different from a modern semi-auto.