1964 Colt National Match 1911

Nice find and very nice. I see that's got the Colt Accro rear sight. The other rear sight popular on the Gold Cup in that era was the Elliason (pictured below.) The only gripe with either was the roll pin sometimes "taking a walk."

005c_colt_gold-cup_45_13270_sight.jpg_th

I wasn't aware the National Match .45 ACP is for wadcutters only, but that could have been the case if it was shipped with a light recoil spring. I've only seen one up close in my lifetime, but Colt made a National Match .38 Special that was for wadcutters only, as an alternative to the S&W M52. I just use an appropriate Wolff spring in my .45 ACP GC for different loads, and I've fired everything from light bullseye loads to hardball when installed. Mine is still ticking at 43 years old.

Interesting read on the various Colt's: http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/nm.htm

The slide was lightened as much as possible by internal machining to allow it to function well with wad cutter ammo. This weakened the slide for hot loads and the pistol quickly got a reputation as a wad cutter only pistol

I wasn't aware the National Match .45 ACP is for wadcutters only, but that could have been the case if it was shipped with a light recoil spring. I've only seen one up close in my lifetime, but Colt made a National Match .38 Special that was for wadcutters only, as an alternative to the S&W M52. I just use an appropriate Wolff spring in my .45 ACP GC for different loads, and I've fired everything from light bullseye loads to hardball when installed. Mine is still ticking at 43 years old.

Interesting read on the various Colt's: http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/nm.htm

Very interesting, Thanks for the post. About 1/2 down the lightened slides are described. Although I had a damaged NM pistol a few years ago and shot full loads with it I had no problem with the slide. But this one is 97% and would not risk the damage.

Very interesting, Thanks for the post. About 1/2 down the lightened slides are described. Although I had a damaged NM pistol a few years ago and shot full loads with it I had no problem with the slide. But this one is 97% and would not risk the damage.

My favorite part of that article is the reference to the National Match competitions, which began in Caldwell, NJ before moving to Camp Perry.