Cecil Harvey

Range that rents Walther PPQ?

Are there any ranges in NJ, or not too far outside of the state borders that rents a Walther PPQ? I'm in northern NJ, and have been to both Gun for Hire and Heritage Guild in Easton, PA, and neither of them have this. I'm trying to decide what to purchase between the PPQ and the Glock 19, but I haven't been able to shoot the PPQ. I'll have a purchase permit burning a hole in my pocket in January, and would like to take care of this ASAP. 

Opinions on the PPQ vs. G19 would also be welcome. I'm a new gun owner, and my only pistol is an EAA Witness Elite Match in .45 ACP. I'd like to get a modern polymer-frame striker handguns in 9mm to contrast. I've already tried the Springfield XD and Smith & Wesson M&P, and prefer the gen 4 Glock better than those, mostly because the trigger has much less takeup than the M&P, and I don't like the grip safety on the XD.

To be honest, I'm leaning towards the Glock, mostly because of the availability of accessories. My wife doesn't like it, however, and finds it difficult to control. I'd like this second purchase to be something she likes, because my EAA is just too large for her small hands -- the grip is monstrous on it. The EAA is, however, really easy for her to control because it's so darn heavy, and has a really light trigger.

I was going through a similar search a few months back, and the only place I could track down that had it was Target Master in Chadds Ford, PA (which isn't close at all, given it's a 2+ hour drive from Northern NJ). And if you happen to be in the area, they won't rent to singles that don't already have handgun with them. I don't know if they'd accept a NJ FID in lieu of that.

I was going through a similar search a few months back, and the only place I could track down that had it was Target Master in Chadds Ford, PA (which isn't close at all, given it's a 2+ hour drive from Northern NJ). And if you happen to be in the area, they won't rent to singles that don't already have handgun with them. I don't know if they'd accept a NJ FID in lieu of that.

Unless you buy a membership. Then they will rent to a single. I did that with them for a year. You might have to have someone bring you a couple of times, so they get used to your face, but on your 2nd of 3rd time, buy an annual membership ($200.00 - the cheapest i've seen), and they'll let you rent. And the rental and range time is free with membership. You just have to buy ammo and targets, etc..

Thanks! I'll check them out. It's a bit of a drive, but I don't want to buy a gun I haven't shot. I'd likely be coming with my wife, and if not I can bring my own handgun anyway. 

RTSP might have a PPQ for rent, I'm checking. I have the G19 and have had the opportunity to shoot my buddy's PPQ. Off the bat, for me, the PPQ seemed more "jumpy" if you will, compared to my glock. From what I understand, this is a result of high bore axis. Glocks have a low bore axis making them less jumpy. 

EDIT: RTSP has the PPX.

RTSP might have a PPQ for rent, I'm checking. I have the G19 and have had the opportunity to shoot my buddy's PPQ. Off the bat, for me, the PPQ seemed more "jumpy" if you will, compared to my glock. From what I understand, this is a result of high bore axis. Glocks have a low bore axis making them less jumpy. 

In reality, Glocks have fanboys that make them less jumpy.

EDIT: RTSP has the PPX.

Joe 

You should have tried it last night with those 4.2 gr reloads.. it felt like a 22 LOL. I'll bring some more of those next time.

Seems like you have plenty offers already on the PPQ... LOL

We just bought the PPQ M2 a month ago, primarily for my wife and she likes it better than the M&P9c with Apex.

The trigger is crisp on the PPQ and the reset is pretty short, the only con was that it didn't come with night sights but painted sights and the mags are pretty expensive.

Seems like you have plenty offers already on the PPQ... LOL

We just bought the PPQ M2 a month ago, primarily for my wife and she likes it better than the M&P9c with Apex.

The trigger is crisp on the PPQ and the reset is pretty short, the only con was that it didn't come with night sights but painted sights and the mags are pretty expensive.

The navy comes with night sights and a threaded barrel I believe. Crappy thing is it comes with a 15 and 17 rd mag so if the ffl won't throw in a 15 for you, you only get 1 mag.

I'd love to take you up on the offer. I just sent you a PM. You'd of course be welcome to shoot anything that I have, which isn't much at this point.

CH - I am glad you liked the "Q"!  Thanks for the range time and letting me check out the .45. 

WR

CH - I am glad you liked the "Q"!  Thanks for the range time and letting me check out the .45. 

WR

Loved it -- thanks again! 

Great trigger overall. The reset is short and very easily observable. The only minor gripe I have is that it has a really long takeup, but I see that as being real easy to teach myself to get used to.

I've been wanting to try out a range that allows rapid fire -- with the reset, one could empty a mag real fast.