deerpark

How much can I expect to pay for a muzzle break?

I believe this discussion is about muzzle brakes and not really about firearms with or without brakes.

Actually, this discussion was originally about what the price can be expected to be for a muzzle brake. I believe you've missed my point. That was said for the purpose of reiterating my belief in them and that they do serve a purpose even in a .223/5.56. You've said that they aren't needed and that proper hand placement and control is better served while replacing the cost of the brake with ammo for practice. I agree practice is the best addition to any firearm, however I disagree that a brake is wasted on this caliber. If that were truly the case, it wouldn't be such a hot commodity among all types of shooters, LEO/military includes.

Actually, this discussion was originally about what the price can be expected to be for a muzzle brake. I believe you've missed my point. That was said for the purpose of reiterating my belief in them and that they do serve a purpose even in a .223/5.56. You've said that they aren't needed and that proper hand placement and control is better served while replacing the cost of the brake with ammo for practice. I agree practice is the best addition to any firearm, however I disagree that a brake is wasted on this caliber. If that were truly the case, it wouldn't be such a hot commodity among all types of shooters, LEO/military includes.

this is what I said below.  I didn't say they weren't needed but rather that you won't find much difference so really price and quality are not mutually dependent.  I also kept my points on barrels with muzzle brakes in follow up points.  I challenge anyone to demonstratively prove that trigger control and control of the forearm are less important than marginal benefit of various brakes.  What that means is this; use a brake, any brake because if you learn the trigger and grip of the forend, this will give you far greater control anc accuracy than changing one brake for another.

'I disagree....tried them all, literally and don't see much difference.  I actually found that some of the cheaper ones performed better than the expensive ones.  If you learn how to properly control your hold then you will see very little difference.  Much of the muzzle brake views are created by marketing professionals for obvious reasons.

there is a machine that you put a rifle in that exerts the same hold pressure on the front end allowing movement to gauge effectiveness and difference between higher end and lower end varied very little, not enough to say you could tell the difference without knowing (placebo effect strong here) what brake you were using.  Test was posted on arfcom, let me see if I can find it.'

a-tech ----on second thought in reading my follow up comments, I can see why you thought I was speaking muzzle vs no muzzle and that was not my intent so bad on me.  I am talking about muzzled barrels here.  sorry for that confusion

"I challenge anyone to demonstratively prove that trigger control and control of the forearm are less important than marginal benefit of various brakes."

Bro, your starting to manufacture arguments....I didnt see anyone say technique doesnt matter. You dont decide to throw your shooting technique into the wind because you have a brake on your rifle.......

Muzzle breaks can vary in price from 20 bucks to a couple hundred depending upon

mfg., material, and caliber.

That being said, a more expensive break would be of more value on a larger cal. rifle.

but on a .22 or even a .223 there is little muzzle jump to begin with so the value

is more in the asthetic "look" of the break than the performance - jmo

What type / size rifle are you looking to install it on.....????

On an AR to make it Jersey compliant. 

"I challenge anyone to demonstratively prove that trigger control and control of the forearm are less important than marginal benefit of various brakes."

Bro, your starting to manufacture arguments....I didnt see anyone say technique doesnt matter. You dont decide to throw your shooting technique into the wind because you have a brake on your rifle.......

not sure you understood what I was saying.  What I clearly said is that proper technique and trigger control trump any marginal difference between brakes

not sure you understood what I was saying. What I clearly said is that proper technique and trigger control trump any marginal difference between brakes

That might be what you thought you were writing, but grammatically it was not. As demonstrated by everyone taking it as you actually stated it.

But even taking your brake a is negligible in difference compared to brake b if you practice, it's still an untrue statement.

There are a buttload of brakes that suck, and a much smaller but growing number of brakes that work well. Both pools run the entire price spectrum from $30 or so to about $200.