71ragtopgoat

Anyone know about RC gas airplanes ??

I bought this at an estate sale to hang in my garage. The cockpit and wings are one piece that are attached via wooden dowels to the body.

I got the front set to attach to the cowl but the rears wont go into the body and I'm afraid to push to hard and break the wooden frame.

It looks ready to fly the servos are there the engine looks in fine shape .The motor has the number 16 on it?

How can I find out what size propeller to get it?

20131223_201045.jpg

Hey bud that has been my main hobby for the past five years, here is my newest plane

untitledpngplane_zps4204f2c5.png

If you have any questions PM me your number.

Ill get you started with this,

If you want to learn to fly it without destroying it in ten seconds I suggest you get a simulator for the computer. The best one is called Real flight and you can get it at your local hobby shop or from Tower hobbies as linked by Tony, I think its about $200.

The next step is to get your AMA insurance

http://www.modelaircraft.org/

Its $58

Also on the AMA website there is a club locator.

Type in your zip code and how far around you clubs are.

Get in contact with the clubs it suggests and go check them out.

Talk to the guys and see how the vibe is.

Clubs have instructors that will help you with your first flights with whats called a buddy box, its 2 radios wired together. When you lose control the instructor takes over.

The engine in your plane is not gasoline powered its glo powered. Its a special fuel you can get at the local hobby shop. You also need a glo heater for the plug and a starter motor. You can get it started with a chicken stick but good luck with that lol.

A great forum to learn about this stuff is Flying Giants.

Its a great hobby with lots of good people.

Comgrats on the beautiful plane.

I cant answer your prop question with out good picks of the engine or what brand and size it is.

honestly for the money go to a hobby shop let them look at it. get yourself a park flyer piper cub. its an all in the box ready to go electric rc plane. practice with that because that mid wing will be splinters in seconds if you don't know what your doing. i used to fly a lot went from prop up to ducted fan. it doesn't take much to destroy a plane. since most places i flew i don't have to tie to get to or are now houses i have a park flyer spitfire and an e-flight heli

That's an OS surpass 91 fs, it a great engine. If you google that just like I typed it you can find the pdf manual for it. OS pretty much sets the standard for glo engines. That dent in the push rod tube does not look good, I would replace it and possibly the pushrod itself. Four strokes can be a little bit of a pain to get tuned properly. You need to keep up on your valve clearance adjustments. You also need to run the right fuel with the right amount of oil and nitro. A good prop to start with would be a 15x6 and go from there to suit your flying style and plane P factor. I like to see beginners use low pitch props such as a 6 to help with landing speed control.  

Xbox would not be good for an rc flight simulator because the controllers are different. An rc flight simulator uses the same controller as the radio you use to fly the plane.

That's too nice of a plane to just hang in the garage. Get it going, join a club and have some fun!!!

Bt Doctur,

I cant remember what field that is, it may be Hamburg in PA.

Heres a couple picks from Joe Nall in South Carolina this pant May, I'm in the blue shirt flying my plane.

untitledpngnbvytrds_zps6a8c2f55.png

untitledpngbvcfdsew_zps64eaae53.png

Those are great pictures. I have to find a place close by to take my daughter to see the planes.

I see you're in Bergen County.  There used to be a model air field by Overpeck Park(Teaneck-Leonia border).  However, someone used it as a dumping ground for waste soil.  They shut it down a few years ago, but the past year or so I've seen a lot of work being done to the air field.  I heard a rumor they are going to open it again possibly next summer.

http://www.northjersey.com/recreation/180729401_Bergen_model_aircraft_club_returns_to_flying_at_Overpeck_Park.html?c=y&page=1