kc17

Thoughts on what caused this FTF?

This happened within first 50-100 rounds through my new S&W M&P22. Only occurrence out of 250 rounds. I'm not overly concerned since it was the only one, but would still like to have an idea. Was this a defect in the round, or something the pistol caused? Round is a CCI 40 grain 22LR. 

TIA

Kevin

post-6821-0-24427700-1387923451_thumb.jpg

Sorry, failure to fire. When it happened I ejected the magazine and racked the slide. Round ejected I saw the deformity, checked the rest of the mag looked fine so I continued with no other problems.

Edit to add....

Hard to tell in the picture, but the bullet is slightly separated and angled away from the case. Looks like it tried to fire but did not.

Not unusual. Probably deformed on feed because it got hung up on the way into the chamber.  Managed to go in but never seated so bolt never went into battery.  See if top of round has marks on it. Telltale sign.  Just be glad it did not fire out of battery.  

Bullet itself has some marks nothing on the very top. I'd have to look at an unfired round to compare. There is also a mark on the base where the pin (is it still called a firing pin on rimfire pistols?) contacted the round. While taking a closer look I also noticed that the bullet will free spin inside the case now.

I should add there is much more side to side movement of the rounds within the magazine compared to my 9mm. Since all four magazines had this same behavior I took it to be normal. But you mentioning the round getting hung up on the way into the chamber makes me think that is the cause.

Yes, this is my first 22 pistol and only my second handgun total. So please excuse the novice questions and/or incorrect terminology.

The side to side movement in a .22 mag is from the .22 cartridges having rims - unlike your 9mm - and the case walls of the cartridges can't sit together tightly contacting each other.

Without you having inspected each round before seating in the mag there is no way to tell whether the cartridge wa deformed before, during, or after feeding. Without pulling the round apart there is no way to tell if the round was a dud or not - uses you try to shoot it again.

It only happened once out of 250 rounds you say, that leads one to believe it is an ammo issue and not a firearm issue.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts happening regularly.

The side to side movement in a .22 mag is from the .22 cartridges having rims - unlike your 9mm - and the case walls of the cartridges can't sit together tightly contacting each other.

So why don't the make the inside of the magazine slimmer to prevent the side movement? I would think it would be a more ideal situation for the rounds to remain square throughout the entire process.

Not sure....

It would probably increase production costs to make a more comics yes magazine with a channel to fit the rim. It would take away the ability to stagger the rounds a bit which may effect capacity, and it may make the mag less reliable if the rims have a channel to get hung up in. .22 LR in a semi auto firearm can be finicky enough, no need to make it worse.

Again, I don't know for sure, these are just guesses.

You're going to have FTF's once in a while with 22.. Doesn't really matter what brand. Rimfire is inherently less reliable due to the design of the round. As HE said earlier, unless it starts happening a lot, I wouldn't worry about it too much.. For the record, I had a FTF (fire) with a Fiocchi 40gr round with my M&P 22.. Has been my only misfire with it, been over 700 rounds shot.. I wouldn't worry about it yet.. Just my opinion

As a league chairman and CRSO, I can tell you it's so common with .22's that our Trustees set-up a small tupperware-type tub inside the indoor range to place duds into.  Someone later takes a set of pliers and safely takes them apart for proper disposal (not thrown-out in trash).  Further, .22's (even the expensive target Match .22's) cause more alibis to be shot in Bullseye league than any centerfire round.

Once in 250 rounds is probably the ammo, as all have said.

Dave

Not unusual. Probably deformed on feed because it got hung up on the way into the chamber.  Managed to go in but never seated so bolt never went into battery.  See if top of round has marks on it. Telltale sign.  Just be glad it did not fire out of battery.  

My money's on T Bill. It happens esp with 22s.

CCI is dependable but once in a while you get a failure to fire.  No big deal.

I usually insert them into the chamber again and make sure the primer strike is in a new spot and I have never had a failure the second time through. 

i don't like leaving live rounds on the ground.

When I go to the range and dump the brass buckets to bring home I usually find a bunch of rimfires that didn't go off, I just throw them in a separate container when sorting the brass and will try them in my revolver sometime.