Sign in to follow this  
samtechlan

Utah vs Fla non-res carry permit

One advantage is that reciprocity agreements change from time to time and with 40+ states all having agreements with each other, that's a lot of agreements to have to keep track of.  If you happen to get caught in a state that recognized another state's permit a week ago but doesn't now, having a second permit is some insurance.

I haven't looked much into this so forgive me if this is common knowledge but do the places that offer classes for the out of state CCW permits do everything for you.? So you basically show up take the class and in turn you get your permits?

I took the class for Utah CCW at my gun club.

The instructor came to our site, and we had club members there to take/print photos and get our fingerprint cards inked.     I would think that some places may just do the course-work and you have to get your own photo (Walmart prints are OK) and fingerprint card (local police?)

The course was 4-5 hours, no live fire.  It covered basic firearms safety and Utah laws (they do NOT officially cover PA laws, but the instructor was friendly and willing to entertain questions/conversations about his experiences and *opinions* regarding other states).

After that the instructor signs your attendance form, you mail it (along with photo, fingerprint card, and check for $51) to Utah and wait about 60 days for the CFP card to come back or a form requesting clarifications on any information that may be missing or not acceptable.

GFH does everything for you, pics, prints, app and mail it for you.

When I took my Utah @ Heritage Guild they did the pictures, finger prints and application, then I took everything and mailed it on my own.

I filed my own FL and AZ but had my PD do the prints

Gun For Hire did the prints during the class and even collected the applications and mailed them for you.

I did VA and AZ on my own.  One (I forget which) required prints to be done by a LEO.  I called my local NJSP barracks and they dusted off the old ink equipment (everything is digital now) and did the prints for me.

Actually, since everything has been digital for years, none of the officers who were there at the time were comfortable doing ink prints so they just let me roll my own.

I may be mistaken but isnt the non resident  utah not valid in fl? the resident one is but I thought I read on the fl laws that they only accept the resident permit. can anyone confirm this?

You are correct.

IMO opinion, there are 3 basic differences that concern us around here with respect to the two, assuming we are talking about non-LEO Jersey people with non-resident permits only:

1. You need FL for Florida, nothing else will do (I don't, I have resident PA)

2. You need Utah to conceal in PA or to carry in Philly (yeah, see above)

3. Utah is a little stronger than FL. Not so much in states (which is minor), but in requirements, and thus future reciprocity changes. Both are really good though.

If I lived in Jersey I would get Utah first for PA but I would get FL ASAP for double coverage and because we all end up traveling to FL for something.

I feel bad for recommending FL around here for that reason years ago. I know I got a lot of people to go with FL and that was the reason. It was a big bonus before PA dropped almost all but Utah.

Just to add 2cents and test if my understanding is right...

I will be applying for FL CCW soon and I have chosen it over UT basically for one reason (if I'm totally wrong here, please correct me) - if I ever make one good thing in my life and happen to move from NJ to other state that has CCW reciprocity with UT, I will have to obtain my new state CCW permit and send it in to UT together with change of address form in order to continue enjoying privileges from UT CCW.

What it basically means is that from the moment I surrender my NJ DL and change it to, let's say, NC DL, until the moment I get NC CCW permit (which can take some time, maybe months...) I will not be covered by any of CCW permits so I won't be able to carry.

Contrary to that, FL does not have such a requirement (to obtain your state of residence CCW permit) and its change of address is done electronically (no address is actually printed on it), so even if I move from one state to another one every year, I am still covered by FL CCW permit.

That's just my understanding. Obviously if you do not foresee moving anywhere over next couple of years, then this reasoning makes no sense for you...

I go to Delaware and PA and can carry in both with Utah. 

I did my Utah Class with a company called Team-Life.  I arrived, they handed me the paperwork; they printed me, notarized my application and even had the envelpoe addressed.  I placed a check and paid postage, everything else was done for me.  They also had an optional live fire portion which meets the requirements for a number of other states like AZ and FL. 

They have some other classes coming soon.

http://www.team-life.org/schedule.htm

I'm not affiliated with them, I just pass it along because they did a good job.