Mr.Stu

9mm cases stuck in sizing die

I had a bit of a reloading marathon this afternoon. I filled all my .45 ACP boxes so started filling a tub with 9mm for a friend.

I don't have a 9mm gun so I don't reload them too often. I mostly do .40 S&W and .45 ACP. This afternoon I loaded about 350 of the 9mm and had 7 or 8 cases stick in the decapping/resizing die. I know that's not a huge number by itself but compared to 0 stuck for the several thousand .40 and .45 I have done it seems kind of high.

I know the 9mm is slightly tapered whereas the .40 and .45 are straight sided. Is that likely to be the issue or should I look into this further. I've never heard of needing to lube 9mm.

For info I am using a Lee Classic turret with the Lee deluxe die set (separate seating and crimping dies). It is mixed brass which has all been dry tumbled in walnut kernels. The stuck cases were a variety of headstamps.

What do you think?

Stu.

I have noticed this with 9mm range brass, not often but occasional (some S&B brass comes to mind). Most of my other caliber brass is starline and never had an issue with those.  Some of the 9mm brass seems a lot harder for some reason? I just put those in my recycle bucket.

I usually lube the 9mm cases slightly --  Put 50 or 75 in a plastic baggie -- Spry a quick burst of hornady 1 shot into the baggie -- Close bag and mix around slightly coating the cases

Makes sizing noticeably easier

I don't have a 9mm gun so I don't reload them too often. I mostly do .40 S&W and .45 ACP. This afternoon I loaded about 350 of the 9mm and had 7 or 8 cases stick in the decapping/resizing die. I know that's not a huge number by itself but compared to 0 stuck for the several thousand .40 and .45 I have done it seems kind of high.

Any chance you know what handgun they were used in?

Define "stuck case." Like with bottlenecks where you have to destroy the case to get it out of the die or like normal 9x19 where you need to apply more pressure to the press.

>I usually lube the 9mm cases slightly

++10

You said it yourself--it is a tapered case. Thus, the carbide ring has to be longer. Thus, the amount of pressure to push the case in and out of the carbide ring is more. It takes a minuscule amount of lube to solve the problem.

You can also take my route: cases aren't that expensive and if I get irritated at a case, I scrap it. Reloading is to be fun, and I don't need to keep troublesome cases around--and when one talks about troublesome cases, they are almost ALWAYS 9x19. Between rim variations (thickness and diameter), extractor groove variations, case wall variations (both between cases and within the same case), and web length variations, the 9x19 is not a fun cartridge to reload like .45 Auto. I think sometimes that the "new man" is always assigned the 9x19 case machine on his first day and everyone sits back and laughs at the variations generated--it just seems too much to be anything but intentional.

My definition of a stuck case:

The case holder rips off part of the rim and the case is left in the die. The remedy is to loosen the collet and drive the case out using a punch on the decapping pin. With the rim ripped up, the case is scrap.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2