CAPTBIL3

2014 M&P BODYGUARD .380

So after reading about the Glock 42 today in the new edition of guns and ammo and drooling over it, I went to the Smith and Wesson website to see any updates and there it was ,new for 2014 M&P Bodyguard .380. Take a look

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/firearms/zoom_lg/109381_01_lg.jpg

NO LASER

NEW SLIDE

I've got one with the laser. It's not very intuitive. But it does work well. It's not really useful for a pocket gun role though. I'd rather have a little bit smaller gun. If you had the time to draw it in a situation you could use it to temporarily blind, disoriented, and possibly defuse the situation. To me a pocket gun is an emergency " oh shit "gun. Not one with the time to turn on a not so easy to turn on laser type of gun.

That being said I'm on my second set of batteries because with it unloaded it makes a great dog toy. You should see my dog chase after that laser dot!

I guess the .380 is en vogue at the moment. Not really sure why.

I've shot my by 380 thru a treated 4 by 4. It's not the most desirable round ever but it's no slouch. I shot the bodyguard far better than all the other pocket sized pistols I tried out. Both 9 and 380. If I was hunting elephants in Africa I wouldn't carry it but given the role I intend to use it for it will do just fine.

I actually plan to do a few other tests come spring. There haven't been many boxes of 380 around. Especially the self defense ammo. I've found fmj for the most part.

The 380 is the most popular size for CCW.  Sells like hot cakes on a Sunday morning.  CCW noobs love them for their low profile.  They don't like the "bulky" 9mm package and the price point is fantastic.  Why do you think Glock is releasing a 380 all of the sudden?

I have one and like it. I'm not a big fan of lasers. I could have saved some money if I waited. The size and the sights make it easier to shoot. I really don't want to carry a gun I can't qualify with out to 25 yards (although I can do that with a Jetfire). The gun works well with no malfunctions using a variety of FMJ and JHP ammo.

AFAIC all you want for ammo in a 380 is FMJ, moreso with a short barrel. Dicks in Manahawkin has had 380 FMJ every time I've been there. $20 a box no bargain but beats $40 Cheyenne Mountain was charging.

I've shot my by 380 thru a treated 4 by 4. It's not the most desirable round ever but it's no slouch. I shot the bodyguard far better than all the other pocket sized pistols I tried out. Both 9 and 380. If I was hunting elephants in Africa I wouldn't carry it but given the role I intend to use it for it will do just fine.

I actually plan to do a few other tests come spring. There haven't been many boxes of 380 around. Especially the self defense ammo. I've found fmj for the most part.

Not necessarily a knock on .380, theres a niche for every round. Just wondering why the new push on the .380's.

I am disappointed in battery life. Seems the batteries go dead after 3-4 months of non use. And they are a pain to change out.

Other then that - quite a bit more friendly then my old KelTec 9

Iirc the manual says to remove the batteries if your not going to use it for awhile. Not always possible but I'm pretty sure it says to do that.

Iirc the manual says to remove the batteries if your not going to use it for awhile. Not always possible but I'm pretty sure it says to do that.

The manual for every electronic device with batteries says to remove the batteries if storing for longer then "X"

And as I mentioned, the batteries are not a simple "pop a cap off" and remove.

The pistol has to be field stripped to get to the battery compartment.