greatgunstatenj

Rifled slugs in rifled barrel - beating a dead horse?

I couldn't find anything specific on this site but I've read a bunch of posts on other sites and there didn't seem to be a clear consensus. My question, is shooting rifled slugs out of a rifled barrel a good idea? I know it is not optimum or ideal it's better to shoot sabot slugs out of a rifle barrel however I'm primarily concerned as to whether or not the rifle slugs will cause any damage to a rifled barrel ie mess up or clog the rifling? Thank you.

Rifled all lead slugs will quickly foul the bore, jacketed or plated rifled slugs will quickly ruin the barrel and may be unsafe.  Since it is not recommended to use rifled slugs in a rifled barrel, I cannot say it's a good idea.

I've fired mostly rifled slugs in a rifled barrel and see no issues with doing so. Keep in mnd the "rifling" on a slug imparts no spin to the slug and is there to minimize leading. Yes, all lead slugs will foul the shallow rifling in a rifled barrel with many fewer rounds than lead bullets in a handgun but how many slugs will you shoot in a session? The most I can remember shooting in one string is maybe 15 (at most) to zero and confirm the zero. No problems with accuracy or severe leading. Then I would clean the barrel after shooting.

If you rarely clean your shotgun barrel it would not be a good idea.