Sign in to follow this  
OchoBlue

MD driver pulled over - How did LEO know driver had a CCW Permit

Unfortunately since this is an automated system, the difference is the matter of a SQL Query (I oversimplify, yes).   The system can scale up and add data sets relatively easily.. its the definition of slippery slope.

True, but someone has to provide the data to the system (or make it accessible) from where it's collected to where it's being queried. Are they doing that legally, or are they violating "right to privacy" laws? Are there exemptions for this kind of data sharing (á la NSA)?  Is this the way the "authorities" are implementing "national registration" behind our backs?  Otherwise, how could the MTAP know the plate was connected to a FL CCW holder if Florida didn't provide that info (or make it accessible)?

I'm just trying to get a grip on what is is, exactly, were dealing with here, is all. 

here is something that can really screw someone. In Delaware all you have to do with your gun while driving is have it visible. So your seat or dash is perfectly legal. To cross from Delaware to Maryland you don't cross a bridge or go through a tunnel. You may just drive down a road and be in a different state. You would then be breaking the law.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just some inside information, I have my sources, and the info will be public soon...this stop for speeding was drug related, along with the speeding, and a certain "odor" in the car. For those reasons the officer asked if there was any guns in the car and the wife said in the glovebox, which is where her husband frequently keeps one. The officer had no prior info from DL, or registration. He was doing his job and it was not a gun grabbing event by any means.

Just some inside information, I have my sources, and the info will be public soon...this stop for speeding was drug related, along with the speeding, and a certain "odor" in the car. For those reasons the officer asked if there was any guns in the car and the wife said in the glovebox, which is where her husband frequently keeps one. The officer had no prior info from DL, or registration. He was doing his job and it was not a gun grabbing event by any means.

Where does it say he was speeding? His story says the police car rode alongside him, in front of him and then behind him for 10-15 min. He said he wasn't speeding.

Who said he was speeding? The police officer?

I read an article where someone from the MCAC admitted that their plate reader sent an "alert" to the car that then went in pursuit.

Who is lying here, the person who said he was pulled over for speeding or the person who said that an "alert" was sent to the pursuit vehicle?

Maryland State has invested heavily in Homeland Security technical capabilities, and they have structured their law enforcement community to engage in very specific activity surrounding their investment.

Maryland State has a network of technical security databases which access the databases of all other states who comply and coordinate with them. For states who do not willfully comply, or those who are not set up to align technically, Maryland mines data from various LEO systems.

Maryland has a rather innocuous sounding name for the intelligence hub which contains this data, it’s called Maryland Coordination and Analysis Center.

The intelligence analysis hub has access to, and contains, Florida’s CCW list (among other identification systems) and mines the state’s database systems for vehicle plate numbers of the holders. These license plate numbers are then stored in a cross referencing database within the Maryland Coordination and Analysis Center.

The database is directly connected to another Maryland technological system. ALPR (Automatic License Plate Reader) system is a tracking system synergized with the MCAC Hub.

All license plates travelling through ALPR assignments are recorded. The system is set up to allow flags to automatically notify local LEO. Every time one of the flagged license plates are detected by the ALPR an alert is generated.

As a consequence Mr. Filippidis license plate was recorded at the Fort McHenry Tunnel on I-95 as he noted within the article. The Maryland Authority Police pursuit car was probably positioned a couple miles from the ALPR camera. The camera(s) are located at the tunnel itself.

“More than 320 ALPRs are in use across Maryland. Information about every scanned license plate–even non-criminal–is stored at the Maryland Coordination and Analysis Center.” (link)

[...] These days cameras are everywhere, but some do more than watch–they automatically run criminal records.

[...] Specially assigned police officers have LPRs mounted on their cars. Said Det. Brian Ralph, Baltimore Police. Ralph can scan up to 3,000 tag numbers a shift, searching for stolen vehicles and violent criminals. (link)

If a flag was established within the network, and Mr. Filippidis was such a flag, once the pursuit car was alerted by the ALPR system a simple pursuit would begin.

As the Tampa Tribune indicated in the article, the patrol car came abreast of Filippidi; this would allow the MTAP officer to visually confirm the driver ID from the high resolution photo from Filippidis driver’s license which was automatically on the officers on board computer screen.

Where does it say he was speeding?

The tribune article says only that, in the end, he was given a "warning" for speeding 71 in a 55. Whether or not that warning stuck or actually means anything at all, I don't know.

Maryland State has a network of technical security databases which access the databases of all other states who comply and coordinate with them. For states who do not willfully comply, or those who are not set up to align technically, Maryland mines data from various LEO systems.

Maryland has a rather innocuous sounding name for the intelligence hub which contains this data, it’s called Maryland Coordination and Analysis Center.

The intelligence analysis hub has access to, and contains, Florida’s CCW list (among other identification systems) and mines the state’s database systems for vehicle plate numbers of the holders. These license plate numbers are then stored in a cross referencing database within the Maryland Coordination and Analysis Center.

Two concerns... First how does Maryland get access to Fl CCW data unless FL is providing it willingly? I believe there is a relevant Florida Statute that is *supposed* to keep that information "private."  Are CCW records exempt from this law or is the Licensing div. exempt from it and providing it to Maryland anyway?  Is Utah?  Is NJ?  And could anyone bring a cause of action against FL for, seemingly, violating this statue (if they're granting access), or against Maryland for gaining access "surreptitiously?"

Second, if MD is actively pursuing drivers/gun owners in this fashion, why haven't we seen more complaints registered on the MSM? I'd figure, after the NSA, they'd love something like this to chew on. Or, perhaps they feel in isn't as worthy a story as the NSA. :dontknow:

We still need more info.

Arnold, they keep it private from non LEO persons, read the quotes I posted here before, from the Tampa Tribune

Florida's concealed carry law states: "The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services shall maintain an automated listing of licenseholders and pertinent information, and such information shall be available online, upon request, at all times to all law enforcement agencies through the Florida Crime Information Center."

"How these factors may have interacted in this incident is unclear, but at the very least, the Tribune's report raises serious questions about how records indicating a person is a gun owner might lead to unwarranted suspicion and discrimination, even in the absence of wrongdoing."

Arnold, they keep it private from non LEO persons, read the quotes I posted here before, from the Tampa Tribune

And the law, itself, would seem to back that up. The records of the Fl Dept. of Agriculture and Consumer Services appear to be "exempt" from the privacy law. :mad:

Well, that's another factor in the "risk/benefit" calculation on whether or not to get a FL CCW.   If Utah and/or NJ FID info is similarly made available, then we're truly screwed.

Re: FID notation on DL: Even more an issue than the "govt" knowing if you own guns are all the other private entities that demand driver's license as "proof of identity" knowing you own guns...  Banks and other financial institutions, schools (college and graduate, etc.), Credential testing agencies, lots of things...

I'm pretty sure most people at the banks I use know I own guns.

And the law, itself, would seem to back that up. The records of the Fl Dept. of Agriculture and Consumer Services appear to be "exempt" from the privacy law. :mad:

Well, that's another factor in the "risk/benefit" calculation on whether or not to get a FL CCW. If Utah and/or NJ FID info is similarly made available, then we're truly screwed.

I'm pretty sure most people at the banks I use know I own guns.

If that works for you, then great. But I know the people I deal with for business and other reasons, and most would *not* be very friendly with me for long if they discovered I was a gun owner. Besides, outside of the LE and govt. agencies that issue the FID & permits, it's none of anyone else's business, and it has no business being on my license.

If that works for you, then great. But I know the people I deal with for business and other reasons, and most would *not* be very friendly with me for long if they discovered I was a gun owner.

They know I own guns because I have open carried firearms in every branch of every bank I have an account at, every time I have been there with the possible exception of it being covered by a coat.

Regarding clients, any time there has ever been the slightest opening I have told my clients (90% New Jersey) that I own firearms, I carry firearms, and I shoot routinely. This has led to me taking a number of them on range trips. Never had one drop me unexpectedly after finding out I own/carry guns.