Sign in to follow this  
Jfoster99

Where to store Pistol while gone?..

I have a vacation condo in Florida... I keep a handgun their for convince so I don't have to bring a gun thru LaGuardia Airport every time I go down... I've flown out of LGA 3 times now with a handgun and it is very nerve racking... The TSA cops get called over to check you out..

We plan to rent the condo for a few months and I don't want to have to bring the gun home. We plan to lock some stuff in an "Owner Closet" that the renter does not have access to.

Would it be legal to leave the gun in a small steel gun safe in the "owners closet"?

I don't want to get in trouble should the tenet be involved in a domestic issue or with drugs and the cops show up to look around the place. I assume they would need a warrant or probable cause to force open the "owner" closet. If they did would I have broken any laws?

Thanks...

Just take it to a local gunsmith for a cleaning and tell them there is no rush. When they call you for pickup, tell them you had to go out of town and they should be able to hold it for you until you can take it back.

Just take it to a local gunsmith for a cleaning and tell them there is no rush. When they call you for pickup, tell them you had to go out of town and they should be able to hold it for you until you can take it back.

Don't be surprised if the FFL charges you storage fees unless you tell him what you really want to do. Hewould likely charge you more but it would be cheaper than paying a few months of storage fees.

A safe deposit box makes more sense and is probably cheaper.

Why dont you bring it to a FL gunsmith who works out of a gun store to have it cleaned, and pick up upon your return. I would tell him that he will have it on his books for a few months. He may charge you a little extra, but it might be worthwhile effort for the peace of mind. But I'll second the opinion of asking a FL firearms attorney if this is legal. Edit: after typing this and going back to read the rest of the comments, I just noticed that somebody beat me to the idea. Oh well great minds think alike Lalo.