Sign in to follow this  
OfcrFek

No SBR in NJ.... but what if....

Ok, for 2 days I've been thinking about this and periodically searching for an answer online....

We can't have SBR here in NJ... but what if I bought a stripped pistol AR lower, and threw a regular buffer tube and stock on it? The stock doesn't automatically make it a rifle, does it? Being that it's technically a pistol, it wouldn't be forced to follow the min barrel and overall lengths. The closest I've come to an answer is that it's do-able in other states, as some people do it while they're waiting for the tax stamp for their SBR to come in, then when it does, they re-engrave the lower to be a rifle somehow.

So, what am I missing here? Can one do this to get around the "no SBR in NJ" thing?

Doesn't NJ have some stupid law that a pistol cannot weigh more than 50 oz, presumably to keep people from making an AR pistol? At least making it difficult to do so.

Maybe I'm on crack....but I seem to remember reading that.

Doesn't NJ have some stupid law that a pistol cannot weigh more than 50 oz, presumably to keep people from making an AR pistol? At least making it difficult to do so.

Maybe I'm on crack....but I seem to remember reading that.

Yes there is a weight limit (not sure exactly how many oz.)  that makes it very difficult to get an NJ legal ar pistol.  One of our forum vendors (JT Customs Guns) has one of the few models available to us for sale I believe.  

but if you did manage a pistol, you could use this from Sig Sauer... of course you would never think of shouldering it... 

http://www.sigsauer.com/SigStore/sb15-pistol-stabilizing-brace-552.aspx

SB15-Detail.jpg

weight will be a factor..

it can NOT have a rail or ANY front handguard for that matter...

and I am not convinced that NJ would have to honor the opinion that it is not a stock.. 

weight will be a factor..

and I am not convinced that NJ would have to honor the opinion that it is not a stock.. 

agree completely that the firearm would have to meet all requirements of NJ pistol with regards to weight, hardguard/shroud, etc.

but, if you could pull it off... 

on the Sig spec sheet PDF there is the line at the bottom: 

* ATF has reviewed this product and determined that attaching the SB15 to a firearm does not alter the classification of the firearm or subject the firearm to NFA control.

Not a slam dunk in NJ, but it certainly helps. If the letter for the FSC556 is good enough not to be a flash hider, i dont see why this shouldnt stand up as well.  

Yes there is a weight limit (not sure exactly how many oz.)  that makes it very difficult to get an NJ legal ar pistol.  One of our forum vendors (JT Customs Guns) has one of the few models available to us for sale I believe.  

pics pics pics....I have 2 permit requests in!!!!!

agree completely that the firearm would have to meet all requirements of NJ pistol with regards to weight, hardguard/shroud, etc.

but, if you could pull it off... 

on the Sig spec sheet PDF there is the line at the bottom: 

* ATF has reviewed this product and determined that attaching the SB15 to a firearm does not alter the classification of the firearm or subject the firearm to NFA control.

Not a slam dunk in NJ, but it certainly helps. If the letter for the FSC556 is good enough not to be a flash hider, i dont see why this shouldnt stand up as well.  

actually.. not to terrify you.. but the way that the law works is there are federal gun laws that you must comply with such as the national firearms act... but then there are also state laws.. there are no provisions in the NJ law that require them to honor ANY ATF opinion on ANY products... so if they decide it is a stock.. and demonstrate it in court as a stock.. I think they could stick you without too much effort.. after all.. we all know it is a stock... 

I've dug around and most AR pistol nowadays are actually ~5lbs.  With the exception of the Bushmaster Carbon 15 Lightweight as stated above: http://www.gunblast.com/Bushmaster-Pistol.htm

There is no forward assist, doesn't have the conventional front and rear sight, super small gas block, gas tube cover and fluted barrel with a REALLY cool muzzle brake.

I'm surprise there isn't a manufacture that sell similar parts, so you can built your own.... or I didn't dig hard enough.

There are a few for sale here: 

Something new on the market that may meet your needs but need to remove the handguard? http://www.alloutdoor.com/2014/02/17/extar-exp-556-ar15-pistol-review/ and it's on GB: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=392641840

Would something like this be a no-no then?

https://www.sigsauer.com/SigStore/acp-enhanced-508.aspx

I saw another article on here about it being ok as long as it's not the LEO version w/ the folding stock, but it clearly has rails and even a vertical grip on some models....

I saw another article on here about it being ok as long as it's not the LEO version w/ the folding stock, but it clearly has rails and even a vertical grip on some models....

why would you want that?

not sure about legality... but I can try to figure it out.. 

these are supposedly ok. OMG customs has one in stock.

why would you want that?

not sure about legality... but I can try to figure it out.. 

Part of me wants it just because it's something I don't have. lol.

I wonder if since the end of the weapon is technically inside the ACP's lil' "shroud", if that supresses muzzle flash.... is there anything in the laws about flash suppressors for pistols? ...do they even technically exist?? lol