Sign in to follow this  
DJNEB

Question about buying a handgun

So I have a pretty dumb question, but want to get the facts before I head to the local PD and ask for a form.  Am I correct that there are two separate forms for firearms?  As in an FID and then handgun permits?  I already have an FID and own long guns, but I do not have any handguns or applied for any permits before. What do I ask for when I go? I recall when I filled out my FID paperwork it asked if I also wanted pistol permits, but I was not 21 at the time.  Can I go back to the PD and ask for simply the paperwork for handgun permits?  Also, I do not need to get re-fingerprinted right; so it is just a few bucks via check for the application cost? 

I also have another question (this may be a dumb question), but how do I go about the paperwork, as well as buying a handgun?  I know there is a time limit once I acquire a permit to actually purchase a handgun with said permit, so about how long do these take?  I would be going to the state police near the hamilton marketplace if anyone is familiar with their time lengths.  Do I look for a handgun already and ask them to hold it, or ask them to order it for me while I go about applying for my permit so that the time it would take to receive the gun wouldn't be longer than my permit is valid for?  At this point, I am not sure on what handgun I would be interested in buying, so I would need some time to look for prices and various models. 

Basically, is anyone able to tell me what the process for applying for just a handgun permit is?  And once I get this permit, do I need to bring it or something with me when I go to look for or buy a handgun?  Looking for some direction.

Ask for the forms to apply for pistol permits, tell them you already have your FID. The forms and paperwork are the same. If your address hasnt changed and its the same barracks you applied to for your original FID then you shouldnt have to get re fingerprinted. 

State police are running about 3-8 months for permits turnaround time, so you have awhile to figure out what you want.

yes you do need to bring the permit once you get it, with you when you purchase the handgun.

just go to the barracks and ask for a pistol permit application. fill it out and bring it back. they will email/give you the website and info to pay for the background check ($20). you do not need to be fingerprinted again. after you hand in your forms and pay online you sit back and wait. most places will hold a certain gun while you wait for your permits. some require deposits some don't.

You can actually just grab the forms online from the state police website:

http://www.njsp.org/info/forms.html

You need to grab these (links included):

1 - [sTS-033] Application to purchase a handgun (same form as the FID form you filled out originally).  http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sts-033.pdf

2 - [sP-66] Consent for mental health records search.  http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sp-066.pdf

You may also have to fill out a form for a criminal records check [sBI-2l2A] which isn't available online, but you can just ask for it when you go to submit the forms and fill it out right there.  You'll also need a money order for $18.00 (usually) for the background check.  You will not have to get finger-printed again, but you'll need to bring your FID card and your drivers license.  Just fill all that paperwork out, hand it in and wait.  Once the permits are approved, the Police Dept. will call and tell you they're ready.  You just have to go pick them up and bring $2.00 cash for each permit (i.e. if you applied for 3 handgun permits, bring $6.00).  Pretty simple stuff and I'm sure the police will be very helpful.

And like TheBEARD said, you will need to bring the actual permit to purchase a handgun with you to the gun shop when you plan to take delivery of the firearm.  The permit will get filled out by the store personnel and give you a carbon copy of the completed permit for your records.  Put that in a safe place.  In most places you don't actually need the permit to BUY the handgun, but you will not leave the store with your nice new handgun until you give them a valid handgun purchase permit  -  So you can walk into a store with just your FID card and ID, buy a handgun, and they will hold it for you while you wait for the permits to come in.  The only issue there, is if you happen to get denied, then you might lose some money if the gun shop wants to be mean about it.  My advice is to wait until permits are in-hand.

Good luck!

You can actually just grab the forms online from the state police website:

http://www.njsp.org/info/forms.html

You need to grab these (links included):

1 - [sTS-033] Application to purchase a handgun (same form as the FID form you filled out originally).  http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sts-033.pdf

2 - [sP-66] Consent for mental health records search.  http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sp-066.pdf

You may also have to fill out a form for a criminal records check [sBI-2l2A] which isn't available online, but you can just ask for it when you go to submit the forms and fill it out right there.  You'll also need a money order for $18.00 (usually) for the background check.  You will not have to get finger-printed again, but you'll need to bring your FID card and your drivers license.  Just fill all that paperwork out, hand it in and wait.  Once the permits are approved, the Police Dept. will call and tell you they're ready.  You just have to go pick them up and bring $2.00 cash for each permit (i.e. if you applied for 3 handgun permits, bring $6.00).  Pretty simple stuff and I'm sure the police will be very helpful.

And like TheBEARD said, you will need to bring the actual permit to purchase a handgun with you to the gun shop when you plan to take delivery of the firearm.  The permit will get filled out by the store personnel and give you a carbon copy of the completed permit for your records.  Put that in a safe place.  In most places you don't actually need the permit to BUY the handgun, but you will not leave the store with your nice new handgun until you give them a valid handgun purchase permit  -  So you can walk into a store with just your FID card and ID, buy a handgun, and they will hold it for you while you wait for the permits to come in.  The only issue there, is if you happen to get denied, then you might lose some money if the gun shop wants to be mean about it.  My advice is to wait until permits are in-hand.

Good luck!

Thanks!  that was helpful information.  So I actually need to pay twice for the permits?  Once upon submitting the application and then again when I pick up my permits?  Instead of a money order, would a check be accepted?  That way I can just ask when I hand in the forms how much I owe?  You have a valid point about if I am rejected for whatever reason, I lose money if I put a deposit or whatever on the gun.  How long are the permits good for once I pick them up?  What happens if they expire before I purchase or find the gun I want?  Also I had a question about the main form (not the mental health one).  So at the top, I only check the box for handgun permit and write how many I want? That turns that paperwork into a pistol permit application instead of a FID application like I did before?  Also, I am assuming that the spot on the form asking for "N.J. FIREARMS ID CARD/SBI NUMBER" are simply the digits in the "number" field of my FID?  Everything else is the same?

Thanks! that was helpful information. So I actually need to pay twice for the permits? Once upon submitting the application and then again when I pick up my permits? Instead of a money order, would a check be accepted? That way I can just ask when I hand in the forms how much I owe? You have a valid point about if I am rejected for whatever reason, I lose money if I put a deposit or whatever on the gun. How long are the permits good for once I pick them up? What happens if they expire before I purchase or find the gun I want? Also I had a question about the main form (not the mental health one). So at the top, I only check the box for handgun permit and write how many I want? That turns that paperwork into a pistol permit application instead of a FID application like I did before? Everything else is the same?

Permits are valid for 90 days from they date they were issued.

They can be extended once for an additional 90 days .

So in theory, they can be valid for 180days .

It may vary by PD (as does everything firearm related, here in NJ), but they are getting away from the hardcopy SBI-212A and going to an on-line format. Your PD will supply you with the URL (or it can be found here, if you search) and their ORI number. You fill out the on-line form and submit it. Payment by CC is $20 ($18 + $2 convenience fee - they've been paying too much attention to the DMV). The results are sent back to your PD.

YMMV

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks!  that was helpful information.  So I actually need to pay twice for the permits?  Once upon submitting the application and then again when I pick up my permits?  Instead of a money order, would a check be accepted?  That way I can just ask when I hand in the forms how much I owe?  You have a valid point about if I am rejected for whatever reason, I lose money if I put a deposit or whatever on the gun.  How long are the permits good for once I pick them up?  What happens if they expire before I purchase or find the gun I want?  Also I had a question about the main form (not the mental health one).  So at the top, I only check the box for handgun permit and write how many I want? That turns that paperwork into a pistol permit application instead of a FID application like I did before?  Also, I am assuming that the spot on the form asking for "N.J. FIREARMS ID CARD/SBI NUMBER" are simply the digits in the "number" field of my FID?  Everything else is the same?

Yes, you have to pay twice.  The first $18 is for the state police to do the background check.  That has to be paid up front.  Then the second payment of $2.00 per permit goes to the local PD (I think).  Either way - there are 2 payments.  I have no experience with the online thing that Pizza Bob mentioned, so I can't really comment on that.  Love those "convenience fees" though.  Heh.

As Gunnz said, they're valid for 90 days, and can then be extended for another 90 days.  That whole issue can vary by PD.  You have to take the permit back to the PD to get signed by Chief of P for the extra 90 day extension, but there seems to be a bit of a gray area as to when to take it.  The last week of its first 90 day validity period, the last day of it's validity, or I've heard some PD's will extend it even after the first 90 days expires (if you bring it in within a week or so of it expiring).  I would check with the local PD so you have the right info for your area.  If you don't renew them, or if you do renew them and the 180 days is up... then they're worthless at that point and you would have to re-apply to get more permits.

In regards to the actual form, yes... at the top you just check off the handgun permit box and enter how many you want.  Don't check off any other boxes - unless of course any of them do apply, i.e. change of address etc.  And you're right about the "N.J. FIREARMS ID CARD/SBI NUMBER" box on the form.  Just input the entire FID number (which also includes letters) from your FID card.

Hope that helps!

Yes, you have to pay twice. The first $18 is for the state police to do the background check. That has to be paid up front. Then the second payment of $2.00 per permit goes to the local PD (I think). Either way - there are 2 payments. I have no experience with the online thing that Pizza Bob mentioned, so I can't really comment on that. Love those "convenience fees" though. Heh.

As Gunnz said, they're valid for 90 days, and can then be extended for another 90 days. That whole issue can vary by PD. You have to take the permit back to the PD to get signed by Chief of P for the extra 90 day extension, but there seems to be a bit of a gray area as to when to take it. The last week of its first 90 day validity period, the last day of it's validity, or I've heard some PD's will extend it even after the first 90 days expires (if you bring it in within a week or so of it expiring). I would check with the local PD so you have the right info for your area. If you don't renew them, or if you do renew them and the 180 days is up... then they're worthless at that point and you would have to re-apply to get more permits.

In regards to the actual form, yes... at the top you just check off the handgun permit box and enter how many you want. Don't check off any other boxes - unless of course any of them do apply, i.e. change of address etc. And you're right about the "N.J. FIREARMS ID CARD/SBI NUMBER" box on the form. Just input the entire FID number (which also includes letters) from your FID card.

Hope that helps!

I have been lucky when it comes to extensions. Last week I brought one in 2 days before it extended and it took the chief 7 days to approved the extension.

In August of this year, I was on vacation and unable to bring it back for the extension before it expired, and the chief signed off on the extension 20 days after it expired.

I think that might be a NJ record!

I do agree it's a grey area, some towns extend no problem, some towns won't extend at all for any reason.

I'd say I should move to your town, Gunnz, but I sure love Woolwich.  The PD is great when it comes to firearms, and just in general, actually.  I've never had a need to extend my permits... the urge to buy before 3 months is just too great.

I'd say I should move to your town, Gunnz, but I sure love Woolwich. The PD is great when it comes to firearms, and just in general, actually. I've never had a need to extend my permits... the urge to buy before 3 months is just too great.

I live in old bridge and the lady's who work in the records department and the police department seem very fair.

I don't get permits in 30 days, but have never waited over 2 months.

I don't think I saw it anywhere in the thread...but spend an extra $2/4/6 and get some extra permits...never know when you might find something else you gotta have, and then if you use your one permit, there's another few months of waiting....vs 30 days...

I did find something sad while going through my paperwork for filing, an unused permit...permit #4 from the last time I applied...  Thankfully, I did use the other three.

Ask for the forms to apply for pistol permits, tell them you already have your FID. The forms and paperwork are the same. If your address hasnt changed and its the same barracks you applied to for your original FID then you shouldnt have to get re fingerprinted. 

State police are running about 3-8 months for permits turnaround time, so you have awhile to figure out what you want.

yes you do need to bring the permit once you get it, with you when you purchase the handgun.

3-8 months??? you need to move to a new town! Longest ive ever waited was 2 months

You will also need two references, for the form. Make sure you notify whom ever your providing as a reference. The quicker they send your questionnaire back the quicker you get your permits. My town doesn't accept personal checks only cash or money orders. But that may be different with your state police Barracks. When I pick up my paperwork for a permit my town gives us an instruction cover sheet with it.

Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

You will also need two references, for the form. Make sure you notify whom ever your providing as a reference. The quicker they send your questionnaire back the quicker you get your permits. My town doesn't accept personal checks only cash or money orders. But that may be different with your state police Barracks. When I pick up my paperwork for a permit my town gives us an instruction cover sheet with it.

I did not realize the paperwork for handgun permits was the same as the FID paperwork, and I do remember getting a few pages of instruction with it, so hopefully they still hand those out with the paperwork.  Regarding the references, what do they ask exactly, and is it done via the phone or some other medium?  When I was applying for my FID, the two I used for references were actually called and asked a question or two and that was it.  What questionnaire are you refering to?

I just did it today in Millburn. Definitely call ahead, as each PD has its own quirks. In my case, it was needing the application form and MH release in duplicate.

The woman who handles the permits was a sweet little old lady. She was very friendly and sympathetic about the Essex County MH records mess.

I wonder what kind of uptick there has been with Weinberg's move to activate the personalized handgun law. That was one of the factors for me. I applied for 4 and plan to use them all as quickly as bureaucracy and OGAM allow.

I did not realize the paperwork for handgun permits was the same as the FID paperwork, and I do remember getting a few pages of instruction with it, so hopefully they still hand those out with the paperwork. Regarding the references, what do they ask exactly, and is it done via the phone or some other medium? When I was applying for my FID, the two I used for references were actually called and asked a question or two and that was it. What questionnaire are you refering to?

Your two references will have questionnaires sent to them by mail by the state police. It is required for them to fill them out and mail them back to your PD quickly. Be sure you fill out their full mailing address on your application. They ask questions about you. how they know you, how long, if you beat your wife and kids, drink in excess, do drugs. That kind of stuff. They want to know your moral enough to be allowed to own a handgun basically. And yes the state troopers could call up your references to ask them further questions about you and your character, beyond what they write about you in their questionnaire.

This is why if you think you want more than one gun, its easier to get a few permits at a time. Because the process is the same thing for every hand gun permit you obtain. A pain in the ass, and you have to pay the $18 anyway, may as well get as many permits as you can at once...

Just got done submitting the paperwork and everything else for my handgun permit.  They had a combination of both paperwork to be turned in to them, (the permit form and mental health consent form), but the criminal background check needed to be done online and paid for online.  I submitted everything a bit earlier and now I guess I just wait to hear back on when they are free to pick up.  I know I have some time to wait but I am already excited!  And of the officer manning the reception area was very courteous and helpful so that certainly helped.  He disappeared 2 or 3 times to ask his sargent some of my questions to make sure that I was doing the right things which I appreciated.  Hopefully it doesn't take too long!  I have been looking into Walther handguns... anyone know what prices I can expect, as well as availabilitiy for the P99, PPK, or PPS all in 9mm?  I heard that they are more expensive than most, is that true?