MeanderingCuban

GP100

Another revolver or not  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Am I being silly and should purchase a semi auto ?

• Silly
    • Buy a semi auto
  2. 2. AM I just a good 'ol revolver guy and I should apply the two is one rule?

• Yes
    • No

I picked up my SS GP100 with a 4" barrel yesterday. I like the feel of it so much that I am truly considering purchasing a second GP100, perhaps the blued version as I have another P2P waiting on the OGAM rule. Am I nuts? I was considering a semi auto but to be honest I'm just not into semi autos. As silly as it sounds I very much believe in the two is one and one is none rule. 

So lets take a poll....

Oh, I forgot to mention that one of my reasons behind getting another GP100 is that this way I only have to purchase one type of handgun ammo rather than say 357/38 Special and 9mm.  I'm also going to start reloading in the near future so this would keep the die kit cost to a minimum as well.  I would be reloading 30-06, 223 and 357/38 spacial.

I have the same GP100 (4" SS) and it's a great gun.   Was the perfect sidearm for a hunting trip in Wyoming a few years ago, although (thankfully) I didn't have to use it.

I also believe that variety is the spice of life, so I've continued to get other semi-autos and revolvers to add to my collection (all Rugers so far in 3 calibers: .22LR, 38/357, and 9mm).

Oh, I forgot to mention that one of my reasons behind getting another GP100 is that this way I only have to purchase one type of handgun ammo rather than say 357/38 Special and 9mm.  I'm also going to start reloading in the near future so this would keep the die kit cost to a minimum as well.  I would be reloading 30-06, 223 and 357/38 spacial.

Good luck with that 'cost to the minimum' thing. Set up is $$$, then you get the savings and the die sets are not the nut.

I also believe in conserving calibers, but aren't you going a bit overboard?

Unless you have unlimited resources, why would you buy two of the same exact model? It's not like you're ever going to wear out your GP100. 

If you don't mind the additional recoil, consider a smaller-frame .357/.38, such as the SP101. Excellent carry gun (not that I'd know) and very accurate. Or a model that's even larger than the GP. 

Mix 'em up.

I have a some bottom feeders (9 & 45) and have plans to add a couple more.

But if you're only going to own a couple of handguns, I say yeah get another GP or a Smith. Same caliber, same manual of arms and totally reliable.

I own more than one GP (they're my favorite guns, especially the 3"), an SP101 and a Smith & Wesson model 10. No regrets.

I mean, yeah, revolvers aren't slick looking, tactical and accessorizable (usually*), but if push came to shove, I'd take a wheel gun over a semi every time.

Even at the range, my revolvers get more use. And if you can master the DA trigger on a revolver, you'll be able to shoot any gun well.

*sometimes wheelies are tacticool too:

2009617112032-smithwestrr8_ms-300x168.jp

Tr8 and r8 s&w revolvers are so tactical and sexy I lust for one

this signature exceeds the 15 character count capacity

Same here, though I probably wouldn't hang anything on it.

I dig the 8 rounds of .357, the lighter weight, black matte finish, 5" bbl and overall good looks.

Branch out. Look for a nice blued  K frame or N frame Smith and Wesson in 357. As tough as you think the GP100 is, a Model 28-2 will give it a run for its money and possibly beat it. 

Check out the Ruger Single Action revolvers in 357. There is even a Ruger convertible SA version that lets you shoot 357 and 9mm from different cylinders in the same gun. 

Variety is key, if you want to stay with one ammo type then go for a sp101 or a smith revolver for your second purchase. If you really want my advice I would urge you towards buying a 1911, then you would have one wheelgun and one 1911/semi and two amazing platforms.

Variety is key, if you want to stay with one ammo type then go for a sp101 or a smith revolver for your second purchase. If you really want my advice I would urge you towards buying a 1911, then you would have one wheelgun and one 1911/semi and two amazing platforms.

Not only are they two amazing platforms, they are both classic guns. You won't regret it.