dan1006

New to reloading....anyone recommend a class?

Hi, I'm new here to the board, and have recently become interested in reloading.  Anyone have any experience with a reloading class in Central NJ (North Plainfield).  I saw heritage guild offered one, but only on some saturdays and unfortuneately saturdays don't work that well for me.  Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Hi, I'm new here to the board, and have recently become interested in reloading.  Anyone have any experience with a reloading class in Central NJ (North Plainfield).  I saw heritage guild offered one, but only on some saturdays and unfortuneately saturdays don't work that well for me.  Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Look here in the NRA course schedule under Metallic Reloading

http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

Thanks Damjan and junkmanted, I saw those courses during my searches.  I was just wondering if anyone here recommended any specific class or instructor over another or if anyone on this forum did private lessons.   I guess I could've been more clear. 

Dan,  stick around the forums for awhile -- even better show up to a few shoots and let people get to know you

You'll get plenty of offers for personal help once we get to know you some -- lots of guys in the area...

OK.  Thanks Heavyopp.  I will put some time in here and try to pop in to the events.  Just to be clear, I'm not looking for "favors" or charity, lol.  I would pay a reasonable fee to be taught by an experienced reloader.  I guess I dont do a very good job of communiating via forum.  Either way, thanks all that are responding.  This forum seems very active and a place to get tons of good info and shooting buddies.

Just to be clear, I'm not looking for "favors" or charity, lol.  I would pay a reasonable fee to be taught by an experienced reloader. 

Thats not what I meant...

It's hard to teach reloading without actually inviting you over -- Inviting someone over, into the gun room, doesn't happen without a good feeler to what type of person you are -- All I meant was, meeting others in person will help you tremendously

I hope I didn't discourage you -- and I'm sorry if I did -- thats not the way that was supposed to play out...

Got it heavyopp.  Not discouraged, actually the opposite.  I wasn't expecting all these responses.  I understand your point about inviting people over, its more of a interpersonal experience that would require a bit more of a relationship than a buisiness transaction.  Your adivce is solid.  thanks

Dan1006 - I recently got into reloading (1yr back) and the members here were great in helping me solve some pretty basic errors on my part. My advise is, if you haven't started reading some reloading manuals, start there. Getting the basic gun and reloading terms down will help if you have to explain an issue.

Aside from that like others have said, stay active pop into a shotgun shoot. Tons of great people and extremely friendly

Thanks sigfan. I'm already seeing that people here are very helpful and friendly. I've been reading the forum and the manuals are a good idea as I don't know all the terms. I still would like a class bc I'm more of a hands on learner than a reader but the manuals would be a good place to start. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It might help if you told us your goals. Like what do you want to reload? Pistol, rifle? What calibers? Are you doing this for a new hobby or looking to save money? What kind of equipment are you thinking about getting? Single stage, turret, progressive?

Carl: looking to take it up as a hobby. Seems like it would be fun and a nice way to grow a fun hobby. I'd like to reload pistol and rifle. Currently have a 40 cal but I'd like to get a 9mm and a rifle down the road. I think I wanna start off with single stage ubtil I get more comfortable

Carl: looking to take it up as a hobby. Seems like it would be fun and a nice way to grow a fun hobby. I'd like to reload pistol and rifle. Currently have a 40 cal but I'd like to get a 9mm and a rifle down the road. I think I wanna start off with single stage ubtil I get more comfortable

That is the best advice I could offer you.  I started out doing it all single stage a long time ago.  I still do it all single stage today.  I load a lot of .223, .308, 40, 45, and 460 that way happily.  You should try to find and at least speed read the ABC's of reloading.  That book will help you focus on what path you want to take.  Reloading is not cut and dry.  There are many different ways to get to your end goal of loaded ammo.  Your needs will and a little understanding through this book will help you ask the rite questions or find the rite class to get on your way...safely!

Good Luck

Ken

+1 for the book "ACS's of reloading" Read it and you will have a good basic understanding of reloading. Last year I got into reloading, the first thing I did was read the book then with the guidance of a forum member I bought my setup, then that member came over my home and helped me set it up and showed me the ropes. Like Heavyopp said come to one of the shoots and introduce your self and hint that you want to get into reloading and someone will take you under their wing. I see you shoot at Heritage Guild so you might be able to make the next shot gun shoot held monthly at the Clinton WMA clay range. This would be a good shoot to get to know some members, keep an eye out I am sure the date of the next one will be posted soon.

Thanks all for the feedback. A forum member private messages me and have me some guidance. I ordered rcbs single stage kit under his recommendation as well as reviews I read. I'm gonna read up on the book and if I have any more questions it seems like plenty of ppl here willing to give feedback. Thanks again!

Thanks all for the feedback. A forum member private messages me and have me some guidance. I ordered rcbs single stage kit under his recommendation as well as reviews I read. I'm gonna read up on the book and if I have any more questions it seems like plenty of ppl here willing to give feedback. Thanks again!

Thats a pretty sound start. That is also the equipment I have been using happily for years.  If you need to know anything you can add my name to the list of people that will help.

Ken