pitt1717

OBRPC question

maybe i missed it, but looking at the site i see the requirements and cost for membership. but aside from that, what is the cost to shoot each time i show up? also is the a time limit? and can i bring a guest(s) and the cost?

and for those that are members, what help is needed to meet the 12 hours of giveback time?

thanks

You're yearly membership dues are your access to both the indoor and outdoor ranges.

There is no fee to enter the premise once you a member, there is no time limit.

There is no cost to bring guests, but - I think there is a rule about a 3 guest limit, and only 3 times a year, i'll have the check the bylaws though.

As Alec said, no fees/hour. 3 Guests at a time, no more than 3 times before a "guest" is asked to become a member.

The work hours can be anything from administrative when they need help sending out membership cards, to cutting the grass at the outdoor range, running the lead vacuum indoors, building benches/target stands etc. In the last year or so, there has been a lot more hours offered up for members to meet their requirements.

Note that there are some times when the indoor or outdoor ranges are used for competition events, so you couldn't use them at those times, unless you join in on the competitions (which I HIGHLY recommend). Just check the calendar on the website to see those times.

maybe i missed it, but looking at the site i see the requirements and cost for membership. but aside from that, what is the cost to shoot each time i show up? also is the a time limit? and can i bring a guest(s) and the cost?

and for those that are members, what help is needed to meet the 12 hours of giveback time?

thanks

Thanks for asking the questions.  Most of them have already been covered, somewhat completely (compliments to all concerned).  Regarding the 12 Work Hours per year:  Your 1st 6 months NO Work Hours are required since you're still in Probationary member status (and you're required to make an Initiation Fee payment of $150 down along with your first 6 months dues) and another $150 at completion of said Probation.  So the Club doesn't "double-dip" and ask for both!

Your only additional costs are what ever small fee the Leagues charge Members (usually $5 - $10 for members, wives and kids) to come on out and Play.  If you come out at a time when there are no Leagues operating, you can bring a folding chair, lunch and a cigar for dessert, lol!  

Our Club is a group of Shooters that make a Club, NOT merely a bunch of impersonal, too busy to show ya how to do sumthin' the right way, leave me alone type of folks.  It's a FAMILY that looks after each other, encourages each other to do their absolute best.  Some folks are decent at several disciplines (like ME, lol) and some join to just sight their deer rifles in once a year.  You get out of it whatcha put into it, so I encourage you to immerse yourself and LEARN about all of the FUN you're MISSING!

Dave

PPC Discipline Chair and Match Director

Sounds really interesting and I may swing by to check it out. Just that initial cost (300 + 328) that is scary.

But as you stated. I really would like to get into the meets and competitions

Oh and as for targets are the stands provided? Or do I need to make them? Think range 14. It's the only place I have been and this is my first season I'm shooting

Sorry if I'm all over but work blocks all these sites and I'm trying to use tapatalk :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cardboard targets and stands for same are provided.  But you're more than welcome to bring your own too.  Some folks bring their own steel plates to practice with.  

Basically the outdoor range has a Pit lay-out as well as a dedicated clay bird ONLY Range.  Set-up what ever you wish to do (within REASON, NO GLASS, do it SAFELY and not too far over your experience level and you're GTG)!  Rifles, carbines, hand guns, shotguns all O-K in the Pits.  NO GLASS!  Clean-up after yourself (garbage cans provided), stow your target frame(s) where they belong and don't do anything STUPID.  You ARE YOUR OWN RANGE OFFICER, so read and obey the rules (there aren't THAT many) be SAFE and HAVE FUN!

$342 gets you a six month ride, including paying half of the $300 Initiation ($150).  The next payment isn't due until you've completed your Probation, so that's the total of the other $150 of the Initiation Fee PLUS the balance of your pro-rated dues (based upon join date).  During your Initiation you're supposed to visit the Leagues of your choice:  3 Participation's PLUS 2 Observations.  Some folks like me don't WATCH (Observe) anything, lol, instead we plan on showing-up and SHOOTING FOR ALL FIVE appearances (it's more FUN that way)!  Some folks take 6 months to show-up to everything (5) and others take a few short weeks and jump-in with both feet.  If you don't have the right toys to play a particular game, check with the League Chairs, because I'm not the only Chair that can loan-out guns, mags, holsters, etc. and just ask you to pay and/or replace the ammo!  League schedules are located on separate Indoor and Outdoor Range Calendars which are on the club web site.

Hope I've been helpful.

Dave 

wow, loaning equip for matches??? that does sound like a friendly range. and i would never expect free ammo, especially in this climate. (although it sounds like if i join i may burn through a lot!!! :) )

the more you type the more questions arise lol. 

when you say stow your target frames, do you mean if i make/buy something i can leave it at the range? i don't need to keep transporting it?

my son is 9, will he be able to shoot? again, i'm new to this and not sure of the laws around it, but once I'm comfortable i would eventually like to get him into the sport as well. also, if he can go, it may be 3,4,5 times in a year probably, does he need a full membership?

i know 12 hours isn't much and could most likely fulfill that, but with working up north and coaching sports for my son, if i come up a bit short on that time do i really forfeit my membership

lets say in a couple of sundays from now i go to the open house and decide i like it and want to join. what do i pay out at that time.... then in 6 months how much...... and the next year is just 384? i know you answered it but I'm gonna need to show the wife all the math. as range 14 is 60 bucks plus 8 every time. but adding in driving/gas/time etc i may be able to justify the difference with the wife (ugggg)

and i appreciate your patience

Some answers:

If you bring a target to the range, you take it back home with you.  By stowing a frame, I meant putting the SUPPLIED frame back where it gets stored!

9 year old can shoot right away, but I'd recommend bringing him to youth Small Bore for some cursory FREE training on Thursday nights.  Kid doesn't need a membership of any kind.  He just needs YOU to be there!  I started mine when he was just 4 yrs. old!  

If you can't do the full 12 hours, just write a check for the hours you can't do @ $15 per hour.  Easy-Peasy!

$342 down PLUS $342 in 6 months:  Half of the $300 Initiation Fee ($150) PLUS half of the $384 annual dues ($192).  $150 + $192 =  $342.   Next year after that you get billed for just $384 PLUS 12 work hours.  Along with your check, you send-in work-hours cards for every hour worked (get them from club management--like ME).

The gasoline alone is a break-even for you.  And you won't have to stop every 20 minutes to change targets and WAIT to shoot!  I tell folks you can put your money in a gas tank and depreciate your ride or give us a dollar a day............  And if ya wanna bring the wife AND son to the range, NO extra charge for them to be there while you casually shoot (plink).  Regular member rates for all leagues will apply if your kid wants "to play gun games".

The Youth Small Bore League charges $3 for 50 rounds of .22 LR and all the FREE coaching his head can absorb (and the rifles are SUPPLIED by the club)!

Dave

Something to keep in mind, and last I checked it was in the club bylaws, OBRPC is a "competition" club. What we mean by that is that we encourage competitive shooting sports and there are a lot of different shooting events on the calendar. Sometimes that can annoy people if a particular range they want to use is not available when they want to use it, particularly on the weekends. it is not that the range is always busy, it certainly is not, but you do need to check the calendar.  It is also not as if we frown upon people who just want to plink and never see a competitive event outside their probationary requirements, fine by us, we do that too.

On the bright side, I can't think of a single shooting discipline that won't welcome you to try their game and shoot their match if you want to.

Dave -

I would like to take a ride over to the club/range and check it out, possibly join up.   Is there a good time for this?  Anyone in particular to talk to?

The only time you can join is at the new member orientation. The next one is June 8th @ 9am. As far as checking out the range before joining, any full member can meet up with you and give you a tour. Or, you could come down to one of the many competitions at both the indoor and outdoor ranges and take a look then, competitions are open to the public. Check out the events calendar on the home page.

http://www.obrpc.org/

Just saw this tonight at 9:00-ish pm.  Thanks Steve G. for answering the question^^^.

Best time to see the ranges is when something is running league-wise.  Non-Members can shoot the leagues at non-member rates, so ya don't have to just watch!

I'll be outdoors both Saturday and Sunday.

Dave