Sign in to follow this  
Jfoster99

Added 3 States to my CCW Reciprocity

I finally swapped out my NJ drivers License for a Florida one... So far no regrets... Looking forward to spending a lot more time down here. Not sure if I'll be able to hit the 6 month min this year to qualify for the Tax filing yet but hopefully soon. I actually spend a good number of nights in NY also so I'm not sure how they apply when figuring it all out... I'll let the acct worry about that...

As for me I picked up reciprocity in 3 states going from 39 to 42 in totally. There were a few that required you have a ccw from your home state. I now have Colorado, South Carolina and and Michigan. PA also becomes a non-issue.

If t ever pass National Reciprocity I'll be all set to carry in NJ.... Next up I need to convert my NJ Firearms ID card into a Non-Resident Firearms ID. Hopefully that will go quick and smooth.

post-5151-140444887372_thumb.jpg

I finally swapped out my NJ drivers License for a Florida one... So far no regrets... Looking forward to spending a lot more time down here. Not sure if I'll be able to hit the 6 month min this year to qualify for the Tax filing yet but hopefully soon.

I believe it's 183 days. You just might make it. Especially if you spent time in FL prior to getting your FL license, and can document that time with things like grocery receipts, utility bills, etc.  Of course, if you have other evidence of your permanent residency there (sign a lease or a mortgatge agreement),  that's a good thing. And don't forget "registering to vote," updating your passport records (if you have one), etc. :D  Any/all of that helps.

I actually spend a good number of nights in NY also so I'm not sure how they apply when figuring it all out... I'll let the acct worry about that...

Did you earn income when staying in NY? Were you paid by someone who paid you through a NY address and withheld NY Taxes? If so, you would probably have to file once more in NY, but most likely as a "part-time" resident, if you otherwise meet the 183 day criteria to be a full Florida resident. Likewise, if you lived in NJ at that time (and earned the income in NJ) you would have to file as a "part-time" resident there, as long as you resided in FL for more than 183 days. NJ will more than likely demand proof of residency (i.e. lease, utility bills, grocery bills/receipts, etc.). Save all of that.  But yeah, confirm with your accountant. 

I'm interested in how it all works out for ya, because I hope to do the very same thing within another few years, if not sooner!  But I also have to figure out how to move a business as well.

If t ever pass National Reciprocity I'll be all set to carry in NJ.... Next up I need to convert my NJ Firearms ID card into a Non-Resident Firearms ID. Hopefully that will go quick and smooth.

I guess that means you're planning on returning to NJ on occasion to shoot. If not, (and I do not ever plan to do so), then why bother changing it? Why pay the extra $25.00 to the SBI (If you're already out of state, then you have to file change of address with the NJ State Police in Trenton). They will insist on another background check as well ($20.00) plus, the $5.00 to re-issue the replacement ID). And it takes them their usual turn around time (I'm guessing the standard "5-6 months"). I would just keep mine, if only as a trophy - a reminder of where I came from..... :D

I guess that means you're planning on returning to NJ on occasion to shoot.. :D

My kids are still in school here in NJ so until they go off to college I'll be maintaining my home in NJ and a Condo in Florida.

My Parents are getting up in years so I go down to FL often without the family plus the family comes down often as well. The plan is to begin shifting everything down here and eventually sell the house in NJ but that is a number of years off... I plan for the kids to go to college in FL. Residency tuition is 1/3 the cost of out of state resident rate. I have a vehicle registered down here / registered to vote now, ect... Like I said I will be shifting everything down to FL. It is going to be the type of move that is hard to put an exact date but slowly and steadily I will be getting out of NJ.

My kids are still in school here in NJ so until they go off to college I'll be maintaining my home in NJ and a Condo in Florida.

My Parents are getting up in years so I go down to FL often without the family plus the family comes down often as well. The plan is to begin shifting everything down here and eventually sell the house in NJ but that is a number of years off... I plan for the kids to go to college in FL. Residency tuition is 1/3 the cost of out of state resident rate. I have a vehicle registered down here / registered to vote now, ect... Like I said I will be shifting everything down to FL. It is going to be the type of move that is hard to put an exact date but slowly and steadily I will be getting out of NJ.

If I could afford to have a place both here and in FL I would move there in a heartbeat. But I'd have to sell this place first up here. And, I'd have to be certain that I can re-establish my business down there also (a little more difficult as I can't bill out down there what I can up here... :( ).... We'll see. If there's a way I can do it, I will!

Interested in your DL. Here in AZ, the DL is good until you are 65YOA. If you are 18YOA when acquired this year, it expires in 2061. Oh, and it is only $10 to be paid at issuance.

Interested in your DL. Here in AZ, the DL is good until you are 65YOA. If you are 18YOA when acquired this year, it expires in 2061. Oh, and it is only $10 to be paid at issuance.

What happens when you reach 65? :)

I thought South Carolina requires you to own property in South Carolina. What permit gives you reciprocity there?

they have reciprocity agreements with other states for Resident permits, I believe Florida resident is honored in SC.

Apparently Florida allows "Open Carry" while traveling to / from and while hunting or fishing. My condo has a fishing pier across the street and while walking the other night to check out the evening catch I noticed two guys "Open Carrying". They were very discrete. Both had small semi-auto pistols. Similar to the Ruger LCP .380acp. I new the law existed but did not think people actually took advantage of it.. Especially being located just north of Fort Lauderdale in Pompano Beach... Either nobody else noticed them carrying or no one careered. I hung around a little but to see if the Police would make to contact but it was a none event,

Not sure if I would open carry there but apparently it is an option.

usu6a5uj.jpg

I have seen a few youtube videos of guys open carrying in FL while claiming to be fishing. The police did make contact with them to check their id's, and these guys were total jerks to the cops. Basically refusing to cooperate, to make a video of the police attempting to violate their rights.

My brother in law lives there and he told me that you must have a sidearm while hunting hog I believe. I didn't look up the law myself. So I don't know if its just a common practice or an actual requirement while engaged in hunting.